Mild kitten acne - leave it alone or treat it?

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6-month-old kitten was diagnosed with “mild acne” in the surgeon’s words, as it was discovered at her spay appointment and noted in her post-op paperwork. Our vet had never mentioned it at her previous 4 appointments where she got a general checkup and then received her vaccine series. So it may be something that’s only started in the past 1-2 months. The surgeon wiped her chin down with chlorhexidine I believe and then combed debris out.

All the bowls I use are ceramic (sold for human use vs “pet bowls)” save for one steel fountain. They have a steel fountain and an American-made ceramic one. So I don’t think this is triggered by plastic. However, to be extra cautious I’ve ordered some glass food bowls and plan to stop storing the dry food in plastic bins.

This morning I noticed a black spot on the white portion of her chin (her chin is split, one side is black and one white - makes it harder!). I took a photo, though it’s more visible if you part the fur a bit. I just ordered some Pet MD Chlorhexidine wipes that I can maybe try once a day, although on closer inspection of the reviews they’re apparently scented and I may not use them after all. How stupid to give a pet product a nasty perfume smell. Plus apparently there’s some concern about the ketoconazole that I didn’t even realize was an ingredient. Ugh.

But really, how aggressive do I want to be here? She shows zero signs of it bothering her at all. Obviously I’ll monitor it as I know it can get worse and actually become red/inflamed, but overall I’m unsure how much I should mess with this. Can anyone speak to their own experience?

I got a better photo! I actually may have successfully brushed it off with a toothbrush. I need to double check when she rolls back over. :lol:
8BC5A59A-6CCD-4186-92C1-C71F67CC2ACF.jpeg

Attachments

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t ignore it. Acne can build up quickly and a cat or kitten end up with an inflamed, even raw and bleeding, chin, eventually. Monitor it and see if you can get unscented Chlorhexidine wipes (I agree, what are they doing putting scent in for use on cats???).

My Phoebe has chronic acne, probably to do with her mystery maybe-IBD-maybe-not condition. First vet years ago suggested dilute Betadine but didn’t have a useful idea of how diluted - “colour of weak tea” for crying out aloud! I was looking for something better recently and came across Chlorhexidine, but couldn’t find any available online. Asked my vet if they sell it. No, they only supply it wholesale in 5L containers - but they said they’d make up some wipes for me, and did! They’re much more effective for Phoebe’s chin. I rarely have to use a flea comb on her chin now.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat had it she was given wipes which I think are otc at a pet store,vets,or online. Ceramic bowls need to be cleaned after every use. Especially around the edges. Ii use whisker free stainless steel now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover1717

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I definitely won’t be using witch hazel on her again in the future. I wiped her chin with alcohol-free witch hazel that included a bit of organic aloe vera. This morning she vomited twice for the first time in her life. Called two emergency clinics and they said it’s possible if she managed to ingest some it could cause a bit of GI upset, although likely nothing dangerous unless she infested a LOT.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline acne is virtually the same thing as human acne.
It's not caused by plastic or anything like that. It is caused by dirt and bacteria building up on the skin, just the same as it is with humans. Some cats and humans are more prone to it than others.

Remember, the bottom of the chin is one of the hardest places for a cat to clean on its entire body. They can't wash their faces like humans can.

Sometimes, yes, plastic food bowls can contribute to acne in cats but it's not the cause. Plastic scratches easily. Dirt and bacteria can build up in the microscopic scratches. No matter how well you clean a plastic bowl, it's difficult to get all of the dirt or bacteria out. Then, when the cat comes to eat, some of the bacteria get picked up on the cat's chin. A little while later, leftover food mixes with the bacteria which creates a perfect breeding ground for acne.

The reason we recommend using glass, ceramic or metal bowls to feed our cats it because it eliminates one source of dirt and bacteria that can contribute the the formation of pimples. However, cleaning is the real key to preventing feline acne. Keep the cat's food and water bowls spotlessly clean. If a cat does get acne, despite cleaning its bowls, cleaning the cats face and chin with a wet washcloth is a good idea. Use medicines only when prescribed by a vet.

Witch hazel and aloe vera might be good for human acne but they are not recommended for cats. Aloe vera is actually bad for cats.

If you put aloe vera gel on your cat's chin then, later, she vomited, it's likely because of a reaction to the aloe vera. She probably licked some of it off her chin then got sick.

If your cat has acne on her chin:
  1. Leave it alone. Don't pick at it or put anything on it unless a vet says so.
  2. Clean, clean, clean! Clean the cat's food bowl. Clean the cat's water bowl. Use a clean cloth with warm water to wipe your cat's chin.
  3. Use bowls or utensils that are easier to clean like glass or ceramic. We use stainless steel. We use a clean bowl every day. The dirty bowl goes in the dishwasher. We have several identical bowls, just for the purpose.
  4. If acne doesn't go away by itself or if it gets worse or becomes red and inflamed, call your vet and follow their instructions.
Acne on a cat is often no worse than acne on a teenage human. Unless it's severe, gets inflamed or doesn't go away on its own, just use common sense.

If acne doesn't go away on its own, despite your efforts to keep clean, if it gets worse or becomes inflamed, it's time to call a vet.