Mihit Lyra - my last American Curl

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lost my last baby from 29 years of having American Curls.  Lyra would have been 19 in February, and was doing well considering she was a 3+ year cancer survivor, had had kidney failure (mild - well controlled with diet and calcitriol) for several years, and had Horner's Syndrome, was on an inhaler twice a day.  She was a sassy, harlequin of a torbie and white with one ear/side of her face/frong leg with pale red colors and the other side dark brown..just stunning.
As a kitten, she is the only cat of all the cats I've had in 57 years of having cats, who came out of the bedroom where we raised her and her brothers, to meet the adult cats and just started screaming!  Her brothers were like "oh cool..who is this, what's that?  Let's toddle over here!".  She was just "leave me alone or I'll kill you!"   Didn't swat at anyone, just screamed.  It was scary at first for us trying to figure out what the heck, and then funny as all get out.

We knew she could have something happen at any time, but the cat who was not critical, just concerning me, when we went to the vets on Saturday.. less than 2 days later, was dying.

I believe she had her brothers and vast family of grandmas and grandpas, aunties, waiting for her, and if I am lucky, I will have all of them greet me when it's my time.

What an incredible journey it has been from when Mihit Mervat was born in 1985, to this last girl - Mihit Lyra. 

Rest in peace my sassy but sweet princess.  I will miss how you would look at me, tip your tongue, and raise a paw to make a biscuit in the air. I loved you just as much and more.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, @Pat
  You must have taken such good care of her. 19 years is quite a long life despite the challenging health issues.

Rest in peace, sweet Lyra. 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  What a wonderful tribute to a lovely cat! It sounds like she left quite a legacy of love and I'm sure she would not want you to remember her with sadness, but with a smile and a laugh when you think of her meeting all of her relatives again, will she scream? She'll be safe and warm in that special place in your heart, which must be filled to the brim with all the love you have shared over the years.

With three decades of experience with cats you could be an invaluable voice of experience on this site, I see you have been here for 10 years, please let us gain from your knowledge, I would look forward to seeing your posts.

Let us share your burden of grief, it helps to speak of your grief to allow your broken heart to heal. My heart goes out to you, please accept my condolences on your loss, I know what it feels like to lose a loved one and how terribly much it hurts. Bless you for your love and devotion, take care..... RIP beautiful Mihit Lyra, you were greatly loved! 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry.  I love this:  She was just "leave me alone or I'll kill you!"   She sounds like an amazing character! And she was clearly very well loved.  My heart goes out to you.  

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
awww.. bless her heart of almost 19 years!! I'm so thankful she had you to love her :)
I'm so sorry for your sadness and loss....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.  I love the story of your girl as a kitten.  A fitting and beautiful tribute...I feel as if I can see her in your description.