Might Take Kitten On Vacation For 3 Days

Dancingstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so we might be taking a vacation; and since I dont really want to leave her alone for a few days I'm planning on taking her with us. We'll be driving there, and I just need some advice. How big of a cat carrier should I get? What should I put in the cat carrier with her? (I know I should probably put some water and a little food, considering putting a toy in with her, but I'm not sure.)

I know I should bring her litterbox, her litter and her favorite toys. Is there anything else I'm missing? What do you guys recommend?

I'm very sorry if the answers seem obvious but I want to make sure I get everything I need that would make her comfortable.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! Lots of people who travel with cats like the large soft carriers, like the ones used at cat shows. These are a bit more comfortable than the plastic carriers, and will allow your kitten more room to move around. Your pet supply store should have something like this (you may have to look in the dog section). While traveling, be sure to put a small litterbox in her carrier, along with a favorite toy, and a bed.

You can give her food and water at rest stops (you don’t want that to spill while driving). If you’re driving for a while, it’s best to stop every hour or two so that she can eat and drink. Then, you can also let her out of her carrier to walk about the car and you have some time for interaction. If your kitten is leash-trained, you can also take her for walks at rest stops, but be careful. Some cats might try to bolt being in such unfamiliar surroundings.

You can bring along a larger litterbox and scratching post to set up when you reach the hotel.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd recommend a harness/leash combo, and keeping it on her while driving with the leash somehow poking through the carrier so you can get a good steady grip on her (via leash) if you stop somewhere and want to refill water, food, etc. The last thing you want is to be in a strange area and have your kitten bolt from the carrier and out of the car, panic, and run.
If you're staying at a hotel/motel, make sure you repeatedly alert the desk that you have a kitten inside the room and ask that things like housekeeping etc. be skipped. (Most people are careful but non-cat people do NOT realize how quickly and effortlessly a kitten can slide out of a door that's only open a crack. They may not even see this happen!)
I'm ultra paranoid about traveling with cats, so just take any precaution you can to keep her safe!