Might my cat have CKD?

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, this is one of my cat's preferred hangout spots.

catnearfountain.jpg

He often retires here after eating or playing. I've read here that one of the early signs of CKD was cats hanging their head over their water bowl for long periods of time, so not sure what to make of this. I only see him drink from it two or three times per week.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, actually it looks to me as though he's literally staring, fascinated, at the stream of water.

You change the water/clean the fountain frequently? He gets canned/wet food? He may not drink as much if he's on a canned food diet. You can always talk with your vet to be sure that all is well, - he's a cutie!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to know. He had pneumonia when I got him a few months ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had missed something like this. And yeah, I think he drinks a normal amount for a cat on wet food. I just didnt expect to be refilling the thing as often as I do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby hangs around her bowl here and there throughout the day - has done it for years and has very good blood work results regarding her kidney function. And, she doesn't even have a water fountain! So, I think it is likely what Furballsmom Furballsmom suggested - it looks like he enjoys watching the water movement.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats with CDK did hang out at the water dish or fountain and as the condition worsened, did hang their heads into the water. However, they did not look like what your cat is doing and they really did have their heads over the bowl and looked ill, even from a distance. To me, your cat does not look that way.

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats with CDK did hang out at the water dish or fountain and as the condition worsened, did hang their heads into the water. However, they did not look like what your cat is doing and they really did have their heads over the bowl and looked ill, even from a distance. To me, your cat does not look that way.
Thanks, I was really looking for that kind of comparison when I made this thread. You don't happen to have any photos, do you? Not of hanging the head over the bowl, but just being near the fountain looking sick. Because of the way a cat's face is shaped, mine looks like he's smiling in the picture. But of course it doesn't really work that way.

I'm thinking of switching back to clumping litter so I can monitor the urine clumps. But clumping litter also can obscure signs of diarrhea so, yeah. Idk.

Anyways, I trust your judgement but am still going to keep my eye out.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that I do not happen to have any pictures. By all means continue to observe your cat to make sure that he is okay; CDK can be insidious and can manifest itself in younger cats. My Jamie who is only 3 had an ultrasound a year ago to check his kidneys after a suspicious blood test. My cats just looked a lot sicker than your baby, but we might also be talking about the fact that their CDK was more advanced. I hope that he will be fine and that this is only a mannerism of his.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I was really looking for that kind of comparison when I made this thread. You don't happen to have any photos, do you? Not of hanging the head over the bowl, but just being near the fountain looking sick. Because of the way a cat's face is shaped, mine looks like he's smiling in the picture. But of course it doesn't really work that way.

I'm thinking of switching back to clumping litter so I can monitor the urine clumps. But clumping litter also can obscure signs of diarrhea so, yeah. Idk.

Anyways, I trust your judgement but am still going to keep my eye out.
I'd like to know the clumping litter you use that can mask diarrhea. 🤣

We use World's Best and I have no complaints with it. But you can definitely tell the difference between good poops, soft poops, the cow patties, the squirts, and her pee balls--the same three or four she leaves me every day for the last 13 of her 15 years that I have cared for her. They are a daily reminder that her kidneys are still concentrating urine. Also, her blood and urine always looks good for kidney function (when she's not dehydrated.)

Your kitty just looks fascinated by the water stream. I don't have experience with CKD cats. But Krista has had her fair share of miserable days with IBD and pancreatitis. Your cat does not look anywhere near miserable.

Have you had any blood or urine work done? And how old is he?

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd like to know the clumping litter you use that can mask diarrhea. 🤣

We use World's Best and I have no complaints with it. But you can definitely tell the difference between good poops, soft poops, the cow patties, the squirts, and her pee balls--the same three or four she leaves me every day for the last 13 of her 15 years that I have cared for her. They are a daily reminder that her kidneys are still concentrating urine. Also, her blood and urine always looks good for kidney function (when she's not dehydrated.)

Your kitty just looks fascinated by the water stream. I don't have experience with CKD cats. But Krista has had her fair share of miserable days with IBD and pancreatitis. Your cat does not look anywhere near miserable.

Have you had any blood or urine work done? And how old is he?
No, I haven't. He's only been in for respiratory stuff, and the shelter said he had all his shots. I think he's about 7 months or so.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I haven't. He's only been in for respiratory stuff, and the shelter said he had all his shots. I think he's about 7 months or so.
Still a kitten! Again, I have no experience with CKD. But it was my understanding that it affects mostly much older cats. It's an end-of-life condition.

I think you are mistaking kitten curiosity with something you read once about CKD. Take him to the vet and get him tested if you need to put your mind at ease. But I'm about 99% sure there's nothing wrong with his kidneys at this age and given his appearance.

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still a kitten! Again, I have no experience with CKD. But it was my understanding that it affects mostly much older cats. It's an end-of-life condition.

I think you are mistaking kitten curiosity with something you read once about CKD. Take him to the vet and get him tested if you need to put your mind at ease. But I'm about 99% sure there's nothing wrong with his kidneys at this age and given his appearance.
You are probably right. Maybe he'll grow out of it. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on what is probably nothing, but I also don't want something to come up down the road when there were signs I chose to ignore.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should really do a baseline blood and urine panel anyway just so you know where your cat stands today with regards to overall health and not just kidney function. I think that peace of mind is worth a couple hundred dollars. It might be cheaper where you are. You may even be able to get a deal because he's a kitten and this is your first blood and urine workup. Some vets have kitten and puppy packages to encourage guardians to get onboard with annual check-ups. But even if you do none of this, get the clumping litter and count his pee balls. Assuming he's eating nearly the same amount and nearly the same composition each day, he should have a pretty regular pattern of peeing. Maybe not timing as much as size of each pee and the number of times a day.

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should really do a baseline blood and urine panel anyway just so you know where your cat stands today with regards to overall health and not just kidney function. I think that peace of mind is worth a couple hundred dollars. It might be cheaper where you are. You may even be able to get a deal because he's a kitten and this is your first blood and urine workup. Some vets have kitten and puppy packages to encourage guardians to get onboard with annual check-ups. But even if you do none of this, get the clumping litter and count his pee balls. Assuming he's eating nearly the same amount and nearly the same composition each day, he should have a pretty regular pattern of peeing. Maybe not timing as much as size of each pee and the number of times a day.
Dumb question, but do I need to bring a urine clump for the panel?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dumb question, but do I need to bring a urine clump for the panel?
Bring the cat, not the clump. They'll stick a needle into his bladder, and draw out a small amount urine. Cats don't love it but I'm sure they use a topical anesthetic, and it's over quicker than the cat's protests.