Might Have To Put Down My Kitten. Help!

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a 4 month old kitten named Bleu. He was rescued along with his brother and sister. They had upper respiratory infection. Initially, there where five kittens before we rescued them. Two passed away, and that's when we took the other two in. We bottle fed them and slowly introduced them to canned food, and them dry food. About a month ago, the smallest kitten, Bleu started having seizures. At first, it wasn't too bad, he'd crouch, tighten his muscles, and drool a bit. Starting this month, this have gotten way worse. He's now having grand maul seizures. Falling back, flailing, biting his tongue so hard that blood comes out when he drools. We've went to the vet 2 or 3 times, we don't have too much money right now, so it's the worst possible time for this to happen. He's always been so sweet, it's so sad to see this happen to him. Last time we went to the vet they gave us seizure medicine. We've been giving him that, but nothing has changed.

The vet told us if the meds don't work, it'd be best to put him down.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Bleu has developed a seizure disorder. There are many causes, in most cases we don’t know. The fact that he is smaller than his siblings makes me think it’s something he was born with. I hope that he responds to the seizure meds. Otherwise, you’ll have to make the decision what is the kindest thing to do with him. Sometimes, no matter how hard we try, we have to let a beloved animal go.

Good luck with Bleu and with whatever you decide.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless his heart! I really hope the medication works for him. I will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully he will get better! Do keep us updated on how he is doing. sending you all hugs! :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We gave him the meds about 3 or 4 days ago. It's not working. He's having less seizures, but when he does, it's bad. I don't want to put him down, but I will if it's best.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitty Allison:angel: developed a seizure disorder several years ago. We started her on meds, and the vet told us it would take at least 8 days to start working. Day 7, we almost gave up.
The meds started working on Day 8, and the seizures were almost gone by day 14. She was stable on that med for almost a year.
Allison was a rescue and about 6 yo when the seizures started. Having seizures as a kitten is probably different from seizures starting in an adult cat.
We chose not to have testing done to determine the cause of the seizures because the medication worked so well.
Allison was PTS after she developed oral tumors later on

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
love67742 -- Wait two weeks. Given foxed's experience with her Allison. Her experience indicates that the medication takes awhile to be effective. Also, you might follow 2rescueitties suggestion and investigate CBD. Good Luck!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi love67742 !
We gave him the meds about 3 or 4 days ago. It's not working...
Are you saying you've stopped the meds?

My kitty Allison:angel: developed a seizure disorder...We started her on meds, and the vet told us it would take at least 8 days to start working. Day 7, we almost gave up.
The meds started working on Day 8, and the seizures were almost gone by day 14.....
Now, once started, this med must be continued....usually for life. It must even be given on a strict schedule, to keep the amount od the drug consistent in the body.

Here's a plain-language explanation:
Why is my cat still seizuring after we started the medication?
Sometimes treatment will appear to have failed, especially during the first month or two. In many cases, this is because the dosage and timing of the medication is not yet right. The first thing you should do in this case is to check that you are following the instructions on the medication label correctly. After your cat has been on medication for several weeks, your veterinarian may take a blood sample to ensure that your cat has adequate circulating blood levels of the medication. This will allow your veterinarian to determine the appropriate adjustments.....
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/seizures-and-epilepsy-in-cats

If the problem with continuing meds is financial, I wonder if there's a rescue organization/group in your general area that might be willing to take him on...maybe even with you fostering him...?

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to tell everyone... My mother had done research, and i'm just seeing this now. Yesterday, He kept having grand mauls. My mom took it upon herself to make a call to the doctor to put him down. My mom told me She'd done "research" And " The medicine should be kicked in by now." I should have done research before they brought him to the doctor. I'm trying not to blame myself but I feel I could have prevented it. My mom and sister brought him to the vet and they put him down. Reading these, I realized that we probably wouldn't have had to put him down, and he'd be alive right now.

love67742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for trying to help. I really appreciate it. R.i.p Bleu. :(:hearthrob:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
RIP sweetheart, your difficulties have stopped and your strength and grace have come back to you.
You loved and were loved, and you will meet again at the rainbow bridge :rbheart:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.
Seizures in kittens might be entirely different than what Allison was having. She never had 'grand mal' seizures, just times where she was immobile or would fall on her side.
Vets do not randomly put kittens down. Bleu's condition appears to have been far more complicated than Allison.
Again, I'm so sorry.
I came to TCS about 18 months ago when my Kiki crashed. I found support here, but I was not able to save Kiki.