Might be silly questions;

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AH! No wonder the confusion! I didn't even know Primal HAD freeze dried!

yes - those are meant to be rehydrated! You might want to, just because she needs the moisture. :)

I mean - ALL freeze dried foods make great treats, but for meals, it's good to rehydrate them. :rub:

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my litters mostly raw, with some canned and a tiny bit of dry. Many owners will continue on raw, but the others have never had any issue switching to tinned and dry with raw only a few times a week. Most vets here recommend raw chunks and bones fed several times a week for dental health, and that doesn't need to be balanced like a full raw diet.

I just feed mum in the kitten pen and the kittens will toddle over and start sampling her food around 3 weeks. I don't water anything down, but do give ground to the kittens at first, then small cubes until they're eating normal 1" cubes. 

By the time they leave at 12 weeks they're eating the same meat and bones as my adults. 

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, it's the freeze-dried kind! I think the others are talking about the frozen kind. Do you rehydrate them or feed them dry?
Yes, I was talking about the frozen nuggets!  Throw everything I said out the window when comparing to freeze-dried

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sneakylemon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually just picked up a bag of the frozen to try it out, gonna use the freeze dried more like treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sneakylemon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ah, it did seem a bit too easy when I was using the freeze dried.  i put some thawed raw down for her and she just sat in front of her bowl looking at me as if to say; "Im hungry, what is this crap?"

i have to heavily mix in canned before she will touch it, crumbling a tiny chunk of freeze dried over it helps a lot too.  long road ahead of me but from what i have gathered it will be worth the time and effort.

it made me sad thinking about how so many cats are so excited to receive dry kibble or the crappy canned food, but wont readily touch something that's much healthier for them.  i feel like i have failed her, and her diet up till now

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: PLEASE don't feel guilty! We all went through that, and in the end, we didn't know what we didn't know.... you know?

But yes! And it may not take as long as you think. Just mix a little in with the canned - use the freeze dried (FD) stuff as a topper if need be, and just slowly increase the amount of raw to canned. There's no rush. :rub:

.And OH we know those looks so well! :flail: Carolina just updated her mega huge transition thread. Her Lucky only liked chicken and turkey, and used to vomit her guts out at any red meat. Well, she's been eating chicken and turkey for months now, and her body has adapted to the raw, so Carolina thought she'd try introducing lamb again. ONE BITE. Lucky picked it up, gave it a chomp, and spit it out. The way Carolina described it was JUST the look your little girl gave you: "Mom, what's wrong with this chicken?" :flail:

I think about it like this. If I were a kid, I wouldn't want to eat a salad much either if I'd mostly had Captain Crunch cereal and Mac N Cheese. :lol3: Nothing wrong with using a lot of bacon bits, cheese, and salad dressing to help make the switch. ;) I know you've been feeding her better than that. :hugs: But think about how I felt - having fed my kitties Hill's c/d dry free fed for 6-7 years. It's mostly brewer's rice, and it's 42% carbs. :(