Might be getting locked up in hospital for a month, my cat is obssessed with me....he will freak out

purrpanther

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi cat lovers,

I got into some trouble with the law, long story short, I will most likely be sent for an in-patient 30 day assesment.

Problem is my cat, (Blanc) is EXTREMELY attached to me...It's breaking my heart to imagine him without me there, all sad, unable to eat and him thinking I abandonned him :(

I mean, my mom and dad will be there but they're not nearly as close to him as I am. (I'm the only one who holds him, let him sleep with me, let him sleep on my lap when I'm sitting down ect...)

What could my parents possibly do.....to fill the void....And also, will he remember me when I get back??? </3

Any tips or advices will be GREATLY appreciated as I am 100% heart broken about this..:'( I am his and he is mine :(

Thank you so much

p.s.: I am sorry if this thread is not in the appropriate section, I just really didn't know where else to put it....Thanks for understanding

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry you're going through this.

Leave smelly clothing with Blanco.

I have some personal knowledge of inpatient treatment faciities, but they vary, so don't know if the doctors/security guards/powers that be will permit this but:  if you can have visitors, give your visitor some of your dirty clothing for Blaco to smell.  Does he recognize your voice?  If so, record your voice and have your parents play the tape while you're away.  (That may freak Blanco out--Ritz doesn't like it when she hears a recorded telephone message--your parents should watch for his recaction.)

Ask the PTB if your parents/approved visitors can bring Blanco to visit. Over and above earning this privilege, the inpatient facility may not allow any pets because of allergies.

And yes, he will remember you.  You may smell different so Blanco may have to get use to that.  But he will remember you.  He may coop an attitude, but he'll understand and forgive you.  Cats live in the present; that is a lesson for humans too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrpanther

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry you're going through this.

Leave smelly clothing with Blanco.

I have some personal knowledge of inpatient treatment faciities, but they vary, so don't know if the doctors/security guards/powers that be will permit this but:  if you can have visitors, give your visitor some of your dirty clothing for Blaco to smell.  Does he recognize your voice?  If so, record your voice and have your parents play the tape while you're away.  (That may freak Blanco out--Ritz doesn't like it when she hears a recorded telephone message--your parents should watch for his recaction.)

Ask the PTB if your parents/approved visitors can bring Blanco to visit. Over and above earning this privilege, the inpatient facility may not allow any pets because of allergies.

And yes, he will remember you.  You may smell different so Blanco may have to get use to that.  But he will remember you.  He may coop an attitude, but he'll understand and forgive you.  Cats live in the present; that is a lesson for humans too.
Thank you so much, I am so stressed I could have never thought of all these great ideas. Very helpful and reassuring. Thanks again :)

fizzgig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Something else you can try is a calming collar, my cat freaked when I was gone for a month house sitting for someone else and she peed and pooed on my parents bed, we got a calming collar and it seems to help. The ones I use are about $15 and use scents like lavender to create a calmer cat. It works quit well with her. It takes a couple of weeks to work the best but it has worked well with her, they also sell calming diffusors which are much more expensive but work in a room as well as sprays that you have to spray repeatedly. The dirty shirts or clothing with your scent should also help, my cat also likes to hear me talk to her on the phone, so you could try that as well.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, as Fizzgig said, there are diffusers out there.  My pic is Feliway (which I'm sure you've heard of).  Will be ideal, particularly if your cat won't wear a collar, and guess what?  One diffuser will last for 1 month!  Super easy, you just plug it in and turn on the power.  Nothing to fuss over for your parents.

I also rate the suggestions of smelly clothes (eg: an unwashed exercise shirt).  And the voice thing might be good too, or might rev your cat up to hear your voice - try it out before you go with a phone call.  My cat, who is a daddy's boy, will instantly paw the phone and meow when my husband calls and I put it on speaker phone.

When you get back, be prepared that your cat may give you the cold shoulder for leaving.  Don't freak out, just show love - they are testing if you really do love them when they do this.  It's a sign that they love you and they missed you and hey, don't go doing that again!  Or your cat may just jump straight back into your arms :)

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, ps.  Not sure at all if this will apply to your situation.  Our cat has a tendency to show his stress by peeing on our bed.  It's the place where your scent is heaviest and I think he does it to mingle his scent in with ours so it smells all secure and reassuring - or as a cry for help/attention if he is sick.  He's even done it 2 hrs before we had to leave for the airport, so they know what it going on ahead of time.  So put the feliway on in the week leading up to departure.  And if you think pee might be a response, buy a waterproof mattress cover (don't shut off the room, as your room is a source of powerful comfort).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrpanther

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you cat lovers
 I won't be going away anytime soon, but I'm prepared!!!