Might be a weird question.

annabelle22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whenever I lay down, my two girls like to lay either next to or on me. One of them, specifically Misty, likes to walk all over me, kneading and rubbing her face against mine for several minutes before she finally lays down. The thing is, she likes to lay on my stomach; I'm pregnant and sometimes very nauseous and Misty laying on my stomach doesnt help at all. Even when I lay on my sides she finds a way to come and push herself against my stomach by either laying on my hips and laying mostly with her weight on my stomach or pushing herself as close as she can against me. I've read that animals can sometimes sense when a woman's pregnant, and either Misty doesnt sense it or really doesnt care at all. No matter what I try to do she comes right back. I've picked her up and moved her, pushed her away or try to not even let her on me but whenever I wake up there she is. Is there any way I can keep her off and away?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, Misty is used to being with you pregnant or not. If you do not want her around you, you will have to lock her out of your room which is sad.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwwww
she must really love sleeping with her meowmy.
Ku Ku does that to me all the time, too...cute waking up seeing her curling up next to "my stomach"(of course it's never comfortable, especially ever since she gained weight, lol). I "kinda" gained weight too...so...I wonder if having "cushion" around stomach is extra comfy to lean on.

Anyways...I agree, just as Yayi posted, if you don't want her to be sleeping on your stomach, then the best way is to lock her out from your bedroom when you go to sleep...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats have amazing hearing, and they may be able to hear the baby's heartbeat. I'm no cat psychologist, but I wouldn't be surprised if it reminds them of their time before they were born (subconsciously--I don't think for a moment they know what it is, just that it's comforting to them).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Myself, I think she is "thinking" she is doing you a favor... Ie she feels it would do you and the baby good if she is as near as possible...

Now it happens to be uncomfortable for you. Unluck.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Female cats often help each other through pregnancies and with kittens. I bet she's trying to do that for you, the silly little creature. You might be able to make your point by just repeatedly dumping her off the bed, but the only way to prevent it altogether is to shut her out of the bedroom.

Oh, yeah--and remember, you are pregnant and you have cats. Even though the risk of toxoplasmosis is pretty miniscule, this does give you an excuse to get somebody else to scoop the litter box. Just don't tell them it would be perfectly safe for you if you wore gloves, and you can get out of litter box duty for the entire pregnancy :p

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My new Cat Audrey does this too. I have IBS and my stomach is somtimes tender so I have to nudge Audrey off which is somthing that she hates. It's somthing that must be done and I try to make it up to her by extra head scratches and even just resting my hand on her while she sleeps. She loves the contact.
I know its hard to teach an old cat a new behaviour but somtimes it is nessesary.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seti does this too and he can be smothering! Drives me crazy when he's so insistent. I got him a teddy bear. Whenever he wanted to snuggle with me, I just stuck him on his bear. Eventually, that seemed to suit him just as well. Not sure if you have that kind of time to make the adjustment but if you did it would give you another option and keep your kitty in the room with you.

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know, this is something that I think most cat owners can relate to. Cats just do this sort of thing. I have a 14 lb male, who wakes me up by jumping from the adjacent cat tree (about 6 feet high) right onto me while I'm sleeping! If I try to ignor him, I'll get "slammed" again, and on and on until I get up. Think of dropping a 14 lb sack of flour on you from 6 feet up, while your trying to sleep! My strategy is to turn on my side, so that he lands on the side of my hip, which doesn't hurt as much.

The other thing that I need to "defend against", is when one of the other cats (who likes to sit on my tummy when I'm lying on the couch), decides to jump off. Well, think about the "G-force" of two hind feet kicking off my unsuspecting tummy sufficient to accelerate 10 lbs into the air!

Ahh, see how much we love our cats!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Presto

decides to jump off. Well, think about the "G-force" of two hind feet kicking off my unsuspecting tummy sufficient to accelerate 10 lbs into the air!
Right. And if he is in hurry or even upset by some sound, the nails gets out, so you can often get scratched while they jump off.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are very sensitive and she probably feel your discomfort and is trying to make you feel better the only way she knows how. They also like to be close to you sometime for the heck of it. Mine does the face thing and kneading then runs off without setting down. I think she must of had a litter as she has a very maternal personality and is always checking on me. Even in the shower...lol

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My male Harley knew I was pregnant before I did and he became my shadow for those 9 months. Followed me to the bathroom in the middle of the night, tried to sleep on my belly but eventually I made him give that up because it was uncomfortable. By the time I was 34 weeks he slept on my pillow above my head all night every nite. The day I went into labor he watched me like a hawk! Good luck

kathleen_moore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are the most beautiful, intelligent, cute and shy creatures in nature. They can be taught tricks as well, i have also tried some to my kitty.