Midnight cuddles = no sleep for me!

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 10 month old female kitten whoâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s still pretty squirrelly. She doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like to be held and snuggled like my older cat, but I know that cats mellow out as they age so Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not worried.

She is very affectionate…in the middle of the night! She comes in, gets under the covers, and starts ‘making biscuitsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] and licking my back and stomach, purring madly. Sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll do it for about 10 minutes, and then she slips back out of the room. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m touched that sheâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s coming in to say “hello†and “I have really positive feelings for youâ€,
but sometimes it wakes me up and I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get back to sleep.

Is this “normal†- and should I stop her? I hate to curtail her affection but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve just got to get a good nightâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s sleep!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's normal; and yes, you should stop her. While she's still young, she will learn faster! Don't let her wake you up--dump her off the bed when she tries it. Don't get mad at her--just make it clear that you don't want to be cuddled right now. After all, if she can push you away when she doesn't want cuddles, then you should have the same right. It's only fair.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sometimes think cats (and humans) lose their inhibitions when they are sleepy.
It was in bed around 2 a.m. that Ritz first rolled onto her back and I took a chance and gave her a belly rub. That is now one of her favorite pleasures (when she's in the mood of course).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been torn between wanting to encourage her to be affectionate and wanting to get a good night's sleep...I guess I'm hoping to get to the point where it won't wake me up any more!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I got used to it with my cat. He'd climb on my chest every time I roll on my back and demand snuggles. Then he'd roll off my chest and fall in the crook of my arm where we'd fall asleep together.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least you get love at night! My cat just rustles around in boxes making as much noise until I get up. And recently he does it every hour of the night... X___X

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by julia123

I've been torn between wanting to encourage her to be affectionate and wanting to get a good night's sleep...I guess I'm hoping to get to the point where it won't wake me up any more!
Well, she'll also probably settle down as she gets older.
(haha, I used to think kittens were like babies and slept all the time! HAHAHAHA joke's on me LOL!)

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
God I'm lucky!!!!! cynder (15 weeks) goes to bed with us at 9pm and we play for about an hr and then my little sucky boy either curls up in between my legs,in between my hubby and me or lately has taken to sleeping above my head on my pillow and bless him he sleeps until about 4:45am when he hears the alarm go of for my husband to get up and go to work.... I guess I'm one of the lucky ones lol

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cyndersmom

God I'm lucky!!!!! cynder (15 weeks) goes to bed with us at 9pm and we play for about an hr and then my little sucky boy either curls up in between my legs,in between my hubby and me or lately has taken to sleeping above my head on my pillow and bless him he sleeps until about 4:45am when he hears the alarm go of for my husband to get up and go to work.... I guess I'm one of the lucky ones lol
AWWWWW! that is soooo cute!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cyndersmom

You really are!. Jack as a kitten used to have me awake at 4 a.m for the first 4 month's!!. I was wrecked

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by julia123

If you're not gone all day, you can encourage affection during waking hours plenty. Wesley and Buttercup were evicted from the bedroom for a while w/ a SSSCAT as kittens, and when it became obvious it was no longer necessary, they were allowed back in and immediately when back to snuggles (Wesley in particular prefers under the sheets). And I move em or allow my legs to move em when in the way, they don't seem to mind or at least not enough to find a different sleeping spot, heh. My only concern is that I might squish em one of these days, but luckily I'm a light sleeper so can at least here the "meow" yelp for dear life!