Microchips

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, so I rescued and raised an orphan kitten and her name is Salem! She is the first kitten that I have "owned" as an adult and I wanted to do right by her as her guardian. So, when I got her vaccinated, I also got her micro-chipped. This is the first cat in my family (we have had many) to be micro-chipped. Fast forward a few weeks, Salem was sleeping on my lap as I watched a movie. I was absentmindedly playing with her scruff and I suddenly realized that I could feel the chip under her skin. It kind of startled me. Is it normal to be able to feel it? It obviously was not painful to Salem as she stayed sound asleep. She really seems to enjoy me gently playing with her scruff. It is like furry silly putty! :cloud9: Does anyone else do that or is it just me?
Anyways, does anyone know if a micro chip can be damaged, dislodged or even pushed through the skin if a struggling cat is scruffed too hard? I try to avoid scruffing any cat unless absolutely necessary, but feeling that chip made me wonder. Has anyone else ever felt their cat's microchip?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its common to feel the microchip so dont worry. They sometimes move but dont cause a problem. Each year have your vet check with their machine that the chip is in place. Last year the vet couldnt find the chip on one of my cats so she had another planted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve had lots of animals over the years and all have been microchipped. Some brands are more likely to migrate than others. In my personal experience, home again has been the only that has never migrated in any of my pets. Their chips have an “anti migrating” device in them. A couple of our pets have been chipped twice because we used a different brand on them and the chip migrated, so we re did it with home again. Hope this info helps.