Microchip Cancer Risk?

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read that microchips have a small risk of causing cancer or other reactions. Would this risk be magnified for an FIV+ cat? He is scheduled to get chipped tomorrow. Should I be concerned? He is indoor only, but I worry that if he got out and wound up at a shelter, he would be immediately put down due to testing positive for FIV.

Has anyone had a bad experience withmicrochipping their cat? Has anyone's lost cat been saved by a microchip?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it’s very rare. My dog is microchipped because the shelter did it and she has had no problems.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Considering the factors, I think the risk is worth it. The best person to ask would be your vet. I recommend that everyone verifies their microchip information annually with the registering agency. I also have my guys cross registered on every system that the vets, rescues and shelters utilize in my area. You can also check with your local shelter and see if you can register with them (mine does dog licensing only and registers the microchip with the license. I have my cats registered like dogs and the city thinks they are dogs. I know it will be weird if it ever comes up but it makes it so the private county system has their records so I am fine with it).

I'd say to also have a good safe collar, I like Beastie Band, as backup and for quicker identification. If the whole goal is identification if getting out a collar could get him back to you without ever having to go into a shelter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said that the few reported instances of cancer after microchipping all involved other factors, such as vaccines given at the same location (some of which are KNOWN to cause cancer), and so the link between the chip and the cancer is debatable. She also said that the older, larger chips were known for some problems, but that the modern day chips - at least from the big, reputable companies - should be safe.

So, my kitty got chipped :)