Microburst Storm Pictures.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello and thanks to all for the vibes and prayers! We are doing just fine other than sweating bullets. :sweat: 90 degrees and high humidity. :nothappy: Poor Wilbur is having a hard time so I took him to a hotel last night. I am worried, his panting is bad. Vibes for WILBUR please :heart3: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

We got the generator repaired last night so we have some power. :clap: But that will not run A/C. Most of the stuff in the fridge/freezer had to be tossed out. The cats... well... they are sleeping all the time due to the heat and not eating much at all. I have not eaten much, either, come to think of it. There is much work to be done. The service we have received in the community has been nothing but excellent. EXCEPT for NIPSCO.... our power company. Nothing like COM ED in Illinois. They don't even answer calls. Now they are saying power up tomorrow by 5:00 just in time for the nice cool weekend. :rolleyes: BOY, this week has been the hottest so far this year and it figures we all lose power up and down our street. We are the last to get repaired because the power company takes care of the largest outages first. I think the microburst hit our street - just rolled on down in about 40 seconds.

I was in the laundry room Monday and knew a storm was coming BUT there was NO warning of what came. I heard a very LOUD LOUD LOUD train noise. Opened the laundry room door and screamed TORNADO to Larry. Shut the door and started to grab pets to head for the basement. I am telling you, there was NO time and I will never forget how fast this came and went. I honestly think these microburst are extremely dangerous because the meteorologist can't predict them and warn people. I am very, very thankful that no one was hurt on our street. Only major damage to house/home. Very sad to lose the Oak trees. I lost my favorite on our property. :shame: The top of it blew off and landed in my neighbor's front yard. It is gone. Just a tall branchless trunk standing tall. :disa: The electrical/power lines are all torn up and on the ground. Much repair still needed to get power up again. :sigh:

OH :lol3: AND now today we have our carpenter here installing our hardwood floors which was scheduled for this whole week. :flail: He had started on Monday BEFORE the storm hit. With the generator, he can use his saw. So, it IS very, very, very crazy here right now!!! The house is all in disarray with furniture everywhere so the hardwood can be installed and the "storm" room repaired. HURRY UP POWER COMPANY :cross:

Here are some pictures:
ROOF: WE HAVE A PITCHED RUBBER ROOF:
View media item 165758View media item 165760LIMB THAT WENT THROUGH THE ROOF:
View media item 165761

INSIDE:
View media item 165762View media item 165763View media item 165764
OTHER YARD PICTURES:
BIG CRANE TO REMOVE TREE FROM ROOF:
View media item 165765ANOTHER UPROOTED OAK: :(
View media item 165766ANOTHER VIEW OF THE BACK OF THE HOUSE. OUR HOME WAS SURROUNDED BY TREES/DEBRIS
View media item 165767View media item 165768View media item 165769View media item 165770

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nice pictures. Too bad they are of damage to your house. I really like the one with the hook and ladder truck with the big MUNSTER sign on it. How long is it going to take to repair the damage to your house?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, quite the microburst. That "limb" that went through your roof looks more like a trunk!

l hope your repairs are quick and easy ones, and that you get your hydro and AC back before you guys melt.

Many vibes for little Wilbur 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, the big thing is that you weren't hurt. 
 I"m so sorry you're going through this, but can be repaired. I hope Wilbur is doing better now? And I hope you get your power turned back on soon. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohmygoodness Lauren, thank god you, Larry and the kitties are alright! :heart2: That is very, very scary indeed. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Is the power back? Is Wilbur OK?

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: !!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much, all of you!!! WE HAVE POWER!!!!!!!!!!! :high5: And, Wilbur is laying ON TOP of the register. :lol3: He is doing just fine now, thank God. :cross: :vibes: Wilbur :clap::clap: We just never know with him. He seems to pull through these situations and surprise us to carry on!!! That's my boy!!! :heart3:

The temps have cooled significantly (figures, too :lol2:) but it is quite humid so we are keeping the house closed off. There is much cleanup still to attend to outside but we have made much progress and you can see the two back patios once again. :clap::clap: We still need the tree service to come back and clean up the HUGE giant pile of limbs that Larry made. We both feel as though we could sleep for a couple of days. Very exhausted. But, all is well.

We are waiting on the insurance adjuster to give us the estimate for the roof/room repairs. Then we can get started with putting the house back together. We are thinking of putting a sky light in that room now. :flail: Hey - WHY NOT??? The room is a bit dark and that will help so much with light. The whole ceiling is going to be replaced and half of the roof. So adding the sky light may be possible. :bigthumb:

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
OMG. I've never even heard of a microburst! So glad no one was hurt, furbabies came through okay and you can start repairs. Wow.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A microburst is a very localized column of sinking air, producing damaging divergent and straight-line winds at the surface that are similar to, but distinguishable from, tornadoes, which generally have convergent damage. There are two types of microbursts: wet microbursts and dry microbursts. They go through three stages in their life cycle: the downburst, outburst, and cushion stages. The scale and suddenness of a microburst makes it a great danger to aircraft due to the low-level wind shear caused by its gust front, with several fatal crashes having been attributed to the phenomenon over the past several decades.

A microburst often has high winds that can knock over fully grown trees. They usually last for a duration of a couple of seconds to several minutes

Quote taken from wikipedia.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, really, throwing all those trees around just so you can get a skylight put in? :rolleyes: Sheesh, woman, there are easier ways than that! ;)

I'm glad you've got your power back! And again, just thank goodness everyone is OK! :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, really, throwing all those trees around just so you can get a skylight put in? :rolleyes: Sheesh, woman, there are easier ways than that! ;)
:rofl: Really, I know. Actually, we are probably going to pass on it and not even bring it up to the company that will do the repairs. It was just a passing thought. ZOOM..... it came and it went. Sorta like the storm. :lol3:

All is well and we just got the estimate back from the insurance adjuster. Almost $16,000 worth of damage. Now we have to hope the the roofing company and the carpentry company all come in around the same price. :cross: I think they (insurance and repair companies) will work together to get us back to normal.

p.s. We are sleeping in that storm room for a few nights because the hardwood is getting installed in our bedroom today and tomorrow. I wake up and have to look up at the damage. :lol3: Can you believe I was worried about what bugs might be coming in that hole. :flail: :paranoid: There are HUGE, BIG bugs here in NW INdiana. :para2::sleep::paranoid::eek: :lol3:

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
UGH..... darn insurance companies. So the insurance adjuster's estimate to repair the damage is about half of what it will really cost to repair it to perfection and to code. The total to repair it properly will be about $27,000 not $16,000 that the insurance adjuster came up with. We sent the check back to the homeowners insurance company with all of the paperwork from the roofer and the carpenter showing step by step all of the work involved to repair the damage to code of the town. I hope the insurance company will understand this and not go to battle with us over the cost which is the last thing we need. :sigh:

-----------------------------------

A microburst is a very localized column of sinking air, producing damaging divergent and straight-line winds at the surface that are similar to, but distinguishable from, tornadoes, which generally have convergent damage. There are two types of microbursts: wet microbursts and dry microbursts. They go through three stages in their life cycle: the downburst, outburst, and cushion stages. The scale and suddenness of a microburst makes it a great danger to aircraft due to the low-level wind shear caused by its gust front, with several fatal crashes having been attributed to the phenomenon over the past several decades.
A microburst often has high winds that can knock over fully grown trees. They usually last for a duration of a couple of seconds to several minutes
Thanks, Terry!!

I really did not know what a microburst was before this. It is almost like an upside down tornado. Very powerful and intense downdraft that descends to the ground with devastating force resulting in a strong wind divergence. YIKES. The opposite of a tornado which pulls things up off the ground. WOW.... :nervous: The one that came through our town lasted about 40 seconds and was gone. POOF. Just like that and left behind so much destruction. It was one of the most powerful weather experiences of my life, one of which I will never forget. Makes one feel so small, weak and frail in comparison.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Lauren - how could the adjuster be SO off? Wow - either they hire not-so-bright people, or ... or .... or .... I really can't come up with anything else. :lol3:

Mega, mega, mega vibes that they will approve the REALISTIC costs of repair. :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

I think I'd be more worried about that than the bugs..... but :vibes: and :cross: for that too!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Lauren! I just saw this!
I'm so sorry that there was so much damage, but I'm glad everyone is all right!
What a horrifying experience that must have been!

The insurance adjusters never get it "right" regarding the claims. We had a big flood in our kitchen several months ago due to a burst pipe under the sink. By the time the water got shut off, there was about 2 inches of water in most of the kitchen. We only received around $6000.00 from the insurance company - not enough to cover all the damage. There is still work that needs to be done, but we ran out of money...

I have no idea how big the bugs are in Indiana, but if you think they're big there, you ought to see what they have in Texas!
That old saying about how everything is bigger in Texas is true: at least when it comes to bugs, anyway!
The other night I had to go to the hospital cuz a darn bug flew into my ear when I went outside to feed the strays. I tried to flush it out with water but only succeeded in pushing it in further. It was buzzing around in my ear & driving me crazy!
I thought I'd go insane by the time I drove myself to the hospital! Thankfully, it died before I got there. I felt like a real idiot having to go to the hospital for something like that, but it was at night and there weren't any doctor's offices open. When I was telling the intake worker how foolish I felt for having to go to the EM room for something like that, he said I wasn't the first person and it happens all the time. He then proceeded to tell me how people come in to the ER who have cockroaches crawl in their ear while they're sleeping! EWWWW!!
So if you think YOU'RE creeped out by bugs, you're not the ONLY one!!

I'm glad y'all are all okay, and I hope you get everything fixed soon!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Lauren - how could the adjuster be SO off? Wow - either they hire not-so-bright people, or ... or .... or .... I really can't come up with anything else. :lol3:

Mega, mega, mega vibes that they will approve the REALISTIC costs of repair. :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

I think I'd be more worried about that than the bugs..... but :vibes: and :cross: for that too!
:lol3: Let's say it is about even as far as both goes. :eek: :paranoid: Larry talked with the insurance company yesterday. The guy was very nice. He said that the adjuster who came out probably is not up on the cost of repairing a "pitched rubber" roofs. :dk: :confused: ODD huh?? :slant: There are many little holes along with the BIG hole in the roof. The roof has many layers that need to be replaced which is quite expensive. The insurance company is going to call the roofing company to discuss. He seemed willing to work with us to get the job done right. At least the BIG hole is patched and we are having absolutely no leaking. :cross: I still wonder WHAT may be crawling around up there, though. :flail:

I have no idea how big the bugs are in Indiana, but if you think they're big there, you ought to see what they have in Texas! :paranoid: That old saying about how everything is bigger in Texas is true: at least when it comes to bugs, anyway! :eek: :help: The other night I had to go to the hospital cuz a darn bug flew into my ear when I went outside to feed the strays. I tried to flush it out with water but only succeeded in pushing it in further. It was buzzing around in my ear & driving me crazy! :shocker: :help: I thought I'd go insane by the time I drove myself to the hospital! Thankfully, it died before I got there. I felt like a real idiot having to go to the hospital for something like that, but it was at night and there weren't any doctor's offices open. When I was telling the intake worker how foolish I felt for having to go to the EM room for something like that, he said I wasn't the first person and it happens all the time. He then proceeded to tell me how people come in to the ER who have cockroaches crawl in their ear while they're sleeping! EWWWW!! :jaw: :sick: :nausea: So if you think YOU'RE creeped out by bugs, you're not the ONLY one!!

I'm glad y'all are all okay, and I hope you get everything fixed soon! :alright: :hugs:
:lolup: I HAVE heard the saying "Everything in Texas is BIG". OH TIFF..... YIKES :eek:.... EEK.... OMG. :shocker:... SCREAM..... I would have freaked out..:scatter: :spin:..... and :crackup: :flail: on you saying it died in your ear on the way to the hospital.......

and thanks for the good wishes. :hugs: :hugs:

Last edited: