Mickey, my 27 lbs foster and his journey back to a healthy weight

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I couldn't find a video from June.  What is the posting number so I can look at it?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to go looking for it too. The link to the video is on the first page of this thread but the actual video is here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/245419/my-super-sized-foster

I was really struck by the way he had to rest every few seconds, and it almost made me cry to see his feet kicking so ineffectually, even though I already know how much improvement there is. But he was determined to get full enjoyment from his Game!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to go looking for it too. The link to the video is on the first page of this thread but the actual video is here:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/245419/my-super-sized-foster

I was really struck by the way he had to rest every few seconds, and it almost made me cry to see his feet kicking so ineffectually, even though I already know how much improvement there is. But he was determined to get full enjoyment from his Game!
Back in June he could only play while on his back. And see how hard it was for him to get upright again? Now it's no problem!
The first thing that I see is a fat kitty. But that compares to the start of this journey, when he was obese - and looked like a big blob with a head. Now he has shape and moves with ease! It's easy to fall in love with him, he just has the sweetest face.

He can really move when he wants to!
How sad it is that calling him fat is a compliment. 
  He is so cute though isn't he? 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just THRILLS me that he is going to get to find out how wonderful it is to be a cat, really REALLY a cat! That first video says so much about his personality, how much he wants to play, and his determination. Thanks to you, he is going to get to really have a life! :clap:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Back in June he could only play while on his back. And see how hard it was for him to get upright again? Now it's no problem!

How sad it is that calling him fat is a compliment. 

He is so cute though isn't he? 
Yeah, I guess it is sad that calling him fat is a compliment. :( On the other hand... he's come so far! You realize he's lost 26% of his body weight? And you can really see he's feeling it, and loving it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It just THRILLS me that he is going to get to find out how wonderful it is to be a cat, really REALLY a cat! That first video says so much about his personality, how much he wants to play, and his determination. Thanks to you, he is going to get to really have a life! :clap:
:yeah: And that's obviously part of what makes him so cute - it's not just his face, but his whole demeanor. :D

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats!!
If you think 20lbs makes a difference, just wait till you get to 16!! That's when Grim REALLY started being like a normal cat. :nod:
He looks so much happier, I'm so proud of you both! :clap:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update - week 36

Mickey weighted in at 19:13 (lbs:eek:z) on Saturday for a 1 week loss of 3 oz and a total of 7:1.

His slow but steady weight loss continues! He still can't quite scratch his head with his hind foot but he's getting awfully close! 
Congrats!!
If you think 20lbs makes a difference, just wait till you get to 16!! That's when Grim REALLY started being like a normal cat. 

Unfortunately I most likely won't be the one to get him to 16 lbs. I'm pretty sure he will be around 17 lbs when he goes to his furever home. Of course since he is being adopted by friends of mine I'll be able to see him as he continues to slim down but it won't be the same as him doing it on my watch. I'm a little disappointed about that. But no a lot disappointed. My friends will provide a great home for him and the sooner he gets there the better.

jesdaisyleo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congrats on the weight loss; you for taking the time to help Mickey get health & him for getting down in size.

I have a obese cat of my own, & we have been struggling at the 13lbs mark for six months. I have been feeding her 1 of the 5.5 cans of wellness, I just switched her to Earthborn holistic. I'm wondering if you would mind telling me how I find out the number of calories in any given brand of cat food, &/or if you have any suggestions. BTW no matter what I feed her I have to add laxative to it. (she has megacolon) 

Daisy is 14 years old, when I got her she weight about 18lbs, she has a small frame & the vet wants to see her at about 9lbs.

I

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the weight loss; you for taking the time to help Mickey get health & him for getting down in size.

I have a obese cat of my own, & we have been struggling at the 13lbs mark for six months. I have been feeding her 1 of the 5.5 cans of wellness, I just switched her to Earthborn holistic. I'm wondering if you would mind telling me how I find out the number of calories in any given brand of cat food, &/or if you have any suggestions. BTW no matter what I feed her I have to add laxative to it. (she has megacolon) 

Daisy is 14 years old, when I got her she weight about 18lbs, she has a small frame & the vet wants to see her at about 9lbs.

I
This chart lists the protein, fat, carbohydrates and calories of many canned foods:

http://catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf

Here is the home page of the website
http://catinfo.org/

Welcome to TCS! And congratulations on helping your rescued kitty get back to a healthy weight.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I
Thanks and congrats to you for getting Daisy down to 13 lbs from 18 lbs! That's great! 

The link otto provided is probably the best single source of calorie information. The manufacturer web sites frequently have calorie information for their foods also. 

As for recommendations, I've always believed that weight control in both humans and cats is all about one thing : calories. As long as you feed a food that is nutritionally complete and which contains fewer calories than is needed to maintain current weight the cat will loss weight. That said, I do prefer high protein, moderate fat, very low carb foods for Mickey. Some very low calorie foods are also very low in fat. I don't know that that is a problem but I prefer to stay with foods that have what I consider to be a more natural profile with regards to macronutrients and a cats natural diet contains a moderate amount of  fat.  Any food that is about 30-35 kcals/oz and which contains little if any non-animal based ingredients will likely fit my preferred profile. Higher calorie foods usually are high in fat because fat contains twice the calories of protein. And, like I said, lower calorie foods likely are very low in fat.

Last edited:

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been Mia from the site for a while and missed mickeys updates terribly. He looks fantastic. You have been doing such a great job. It's going to be bittersweet when he gets to his new home. He just looks so great.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been Mia from the site for a while and missed mickeys updates terribly. He looks fantastic. You have been doing such a great job. It's going to be bittersweet when he gets to his new home. He just looks so great.
Thanks! I'm very happy that he has a great home to go to but I'm going to miss the big lug. 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update - week 37

Mickey weighted in at 19:11 (lbs:eek:z) for a 1 week loss of 2 oz and a total loss of 7:3.

Nothing new to report. 
 He just continues to enjoy life in his own special way!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'm very happy that he has a great home to go to but I'm going to miss the big lug. 
Every time I read about him going "home" I think about you :hugs:
I don't know how you can do this...... We get so so attached to these little buggers :heart3: Especially to the ones who have "issues"....
Hope came here as a foster too..... Then she got really sick.... And it took a lot of effort and care to bring her back to health.... and in the process I got super attached to her :heart3: I thought NO ONE will take care of this baby like I do.... And the rest is history - she is my foster "failure" and the last "foster" I will ever have. I learned my lesson.... I am not cut out to foster....
My hat is off to you - Hugs and vibes for you, I know you love him dearly :hugs:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I read about him going "home" I think about you

I don't know how you can do this...... We get so so attached to these little buggers
Especially to the ones who have "issues"....
Hope came here as a foster too..... Then she got really sick.... And it took a lot of effort and care to bring her back to health.... and in the process I got super attached to her
I thought NO ONE will take care of this baby like I do.... And the rest is history - she is my foster "failure" and the last "foster" I will ever have. I learned my lesson.... I am not cut out to foster....
My hat is off to you - Hugs and vibes for you, I know you love him dearly
Honestly if he weren't going to friends of mine I'm not sure I could let him go. It would just make me sick to think his adopters might not take his weight issue seriously and they would let him balloon up again.

That and I really, really, really, really don't want 5 cats! 

I know my friends will take great care of him and that makes it *so* much easier. I'll get to see him whenever I like. 

Thanks to you, that boy just keeps chugging along! 

And second everything Carolina said! 
Thank you to you both! You're too kind.