MiauStore Cat Fountain

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any experience/thoughts about this ceramic water fountain from miaustore.com?

grey-w-cat-1.jpg

It is made from ceramic and they claim that it therefore doesn't need a filter as ceramic doesn't get micro scratches on the surface so bacteria won't grow. It can also be washed in the dishwasher.

I currently have a plastic Drinkwell fountain that my cats like but it is very fiddly to clean all the nooks and cranies and the plastic has become permanently stained so I'm never sure it is truly clean.

I'm tempted by the MiauStore fountain for its ease of cleaning but not convinced by the claim about not needing a filter.

Thoughts?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I am extremely skeptical about the lack of filter. Bacteria will grow in water regardless of any micro-scratches on the surface, though stainless steel and ceramic are generally more sanitary than plastics because they're much less porous. Also, filters are there to improve the water quality, and help prevent pet fur from clogging up the works.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am extremely skeptical about the lack of filter. Bacteria will grow in water regardless of any micro-scratches on the surface, though stainless steel and ceramic are generally more sanitary than plastics because they're much less porous. Also, filters are there to improve the water quality, and help prevent pet fur from clogging up the works.
Doesn't bacteria only grow if the water is stagnant?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't bacteria only grow if the water is stagnant?
Bacterial growth and movement is impeded by running water, but it also makes it more likely for the bacteria to attach to the surface and start forming a biofilm if the optimal conditions are met. There's a reason you need to wash even stainless steel fountains with filters on a regular basis :>

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw that one. As much as I loved it, I couldn't be sure Delilah would drink from it. I got her the Pioneer raindrop. I can't say that she loves it, since I haven't seen her drink from it myself, but the water was down an inch when I went to wash it after a week so I'm hoping that wasn't evaporation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did think the no filter bit sounded too good to be true. I might get one of the Pioneer Raindrop ceramic fountains when I've used up all the filters for my Drinkwell fountain. They look stylish and easy to clean.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did think the no filter bit sounded too good to be true. I might get one of the Pioneer Raindrop ceramic fountains when I've used up all the filters for my Drinkwell fountain. They look stylish and easy to clean.
I have a raindrop fountain for greg and arnold. Its easy to clear, although the stainless steel does get a hardwater buildup on it and requires careful, cleaning. The pump has been reliable and can be easily disassembled for cleaning. I think they are a bit pricey, but the cats use them and thats important.

20191015_190818.jpg

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Purr-fect Purr-fect , I have the same fountain and about every 6 weeks or so I run through water with a cup of vinegar for about an hour or so. I did notice that the cord is fraying where the plastic enclosure is located. The Pioneer customer service is great and sent 2 replacement pumps with cords and another plastic enclosure.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purr-fect Purr-fect , I have the same fountain and about every 6 weeks or so I run through water with a cup of vinegar for about an hour or so. I did notice that the cord is fraying where the plastic enclosure is located. The Pioneer customer service is great and sent 2 replacement pumps with cords and another plastic enclosure.
Wow that is great to know. Thanks. I also noticed the bends in the power cord inside the fountain are stress points. Im a bit concerned if the cord ever splits and water reached the wires, the fountain might be electrified. I inspect it each washing. Now I may contact the manufacturer. Dont have the receipt any more as it was bought maybe 4 years ago.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a raindrop fountain for greg and arnold. Its easy to clear, although the stainless steel does get a hardwater buildup on it and requires careful, cleaning. The pump has been reliable and can be easily disassembled for cleaning. I think they are a bit pricey, but the cats use them and thats important.

View attachment 373029
This is my favorite style of fountain. Can’t use it right now because one of my cats sticks his feet in it while drinking 🤭

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's the model Pioneer I got for Delilah. I haven't seen her drink from it, but the water level is dropping over the week so I'm hoping she's drinking. She's not dehydrated. I know she drank from her other fountain, but it was plastic and I couldn't clean the hard water line off of it.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ladytimedramon ladytimedramon it took about a month for Sango to drink from hers. I kept it turned off for about 3 days until she was finally comfortable and drinking from it and then I slowly turned up the pump speed. I had the Catit flower fountain at first and ultimately had to return it because she was so afraid of it. The Pioneer fountain is kind of finicky and gets noisy if the cord is slightly out of place whereas the Catit was just overall always noisy I think because of the flimsy plastic base.

Last edited:

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ladytimedramon ladytimedramon it took about a month for Sango to drink from hers. I kept it turned off for about 3 days until she was finally comfortable and drinking from it and then I slowly turned up the pump speed. I had the Catit flower fountain at first and ultimately had to return it because she was so afraid of it. The Pioneer fountain is kind of finicky and gets noisy if the cord is slightly out of place whereas the Catit was just overall always noisy I think because of the flimsy plastic base.
Delilah was terrified of the Catit too, but I think it was the size and shape. It was as big as her, plus she has a weird thing about boxes (only cat I've heard of that doesn't like them). I took it away and she still wouldn't go near the spot the rest of the day. I know she's not dehydrated (did the skin test). I'll try turning it off. Part of it is that I just don't see her do it unless I'm at my desk anyways. She did drink from her old fountain (the Petmate Flow II) which was ugly and hard to clean. I didn't get rid of it in case I need a backup.