Mewing Constantly: Will My Eight Week Old Kittens Keep Mewing As Adults?

Kithensal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am eagerly considering adopting two of my daughter's kittens. They mew constantly. My daughter warns me that they may continue to mew all the time even when they are adult cats. I live in a small apartment. Anna is concerned that they may drive me crazy, keeping me awake in the night. We always had four cats, and we don't remember any of our kittens mewing so much. So do any of you predict that they may continue to mew all the time even as adult cats?

earthwormgym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
...So do any of you predict that they may continue to mew all the time even as adult cats?
I would doubt it, as kittens are learning as they grow up. Kittens/cats meow when they want human attention, so perhaps consider more interaction time- playing or cuddling. If it is almost robotic/monotonous in nature, then a vet visit might be required as there may be an underlying health issue.

Hope this helps!

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Bruce would meow a lot when he can home from the shelter at 6 months, like all the time. We thought he would always be like that. But as soon as he settled and as long as his needs are met, his highness doesn't meow so much anymore. ;)

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would doubt it, as kittens are learning as they grow up. Kittens/cats meow when they want human attention, so perhaps consider more interaction time- playing or cuddling. If it is almost robotic/monotonous in nature, then a vet visit might be required as there may be an underlying health issue.

Hope this helps!
:yeah:
Human babies also cry a lot, but they gradually do it less and less often. Unless it is caused by pain, I wouldn't be worried about that habit, all kittens I've had were super vocal first six months. Then, they became "normal" cats, that only mew to claim attention or to answer what I say (well, Alice used to sing along with me, which made showers weird and funny at the same time). Unless there is a super vocal breed involved in their genetics, It should get better un a few months.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sort of depends on their age and their breeding. If they have any Siamese blood, you might have kittens who will meow a lot throughout their whole life. Non Siamese are in general quieter as adults, ranging from nothing but an occasional squeak of a meow to ones who love to talk.