Mew! Lots of questions...

courtneykp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hi! :wavey: This is Mew! She is a stray kitten that we took in recently. She is solid white, except for one black spot on top of her head. I have some questions for more experienced cat people.
1. How old do you think she is? She can eat regular kitten food.
2. How long do you think her hair will be? She has 2 layers right now. One is short and thick, and the other layer is about half an inch longer than the first.
3. I've heard that there could be health problems in white cats that have different colored eyes. She has one blue and one green. Do you think this is true?
4. I know that her momma was black with white feet dsh, but have no clue about the dad. Any thoughts on possible breeds or mixes she could be? (Other than dsh or dlh)

Thank you for your time :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh is Mew a beautiful, darling, adorable kitten. Really pretty. I think her hair will be long and her being odd-eyed has no ill health concerns. Here is a quick link to more info. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odd-eyed_cat I think you found a really special kitten. I wonder if you could see about getting her mom spayed? There will be more kittens otherwise. ;)

I think she is about five to six weeks old. Make sure you offer her some canned kitten food in addition with the dry kitten food since she is still needing extra calories. A vet check would be the next step to make sure she is healthy and worm free. Take a stool sample in with you. GOOD LUCK with this very beautiful kitten. :rub:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Adorable!  
    Mew is so, so sweet with that white, tufty fur.  I'm never that sure how long fur is going to be as the kitten coat can look quite different, especially when that young.  I agree with Feralvr, I think around 6 weeks from the other kittens I have seen about that age.    

She is very small not to have her momma around, or any siblings, and she will need to learn a lot of her cat skills from you, especially about how bites and scratches hurt.  Be sure to stay still until she lets go if she bites of grips on to you so that she does not think you want her to keep playing in that way -  or responding aggressively to her.  At the same time make a firm but not loud or shouting sound - like a hiss or ouch, to let her know she is hurting you.  She will want, and need, to play with you but needs to learn quickly what is not OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

courtneykp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, guys! I don't own her momma; she is a neighbor's cat, but he refused to take care of the babies and kicked the mom and her 3 little ones outside. They were all COVERED in fleas! Thankfully, I got Mew, my sister-in-law got her sister, Flurry, and a friend of the neighbor took in their brother. Mew is flea free, thanks to Dawn soap, and very happily trying to make friends with Kitty, my other fur baby.
And, mservant, you are a lifesaver with that biting bit! :rock: She is a biter and scratcher for sure! She is even a bit food aggressive towards people. We have nicknamed her (affectionately) equinsu ocha, which, according to ace Ventura, means "white devil". :lol3:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, poor little girl!  She needs a cute, cheeky name to go with that face. 
    Cute but maybe no cheeky enough - Malaika means angel in Swahili. I want to call a cat that if I get another female.

The thing with staying still and quiet is that it doesn't threaten and it doesn't stimulate, so hopefully she will get bored really quickly and let go.  There are some really good articles on this site that explain some of the behaviours and how to stop them and as you will be her source of learning it is good to start this early.  That way you all manage to work out how to communicate and she learns what is OK before any behaviours develop that might not be so much fun or so cute as she gets bigger.  I am glad it is helpful.  Here are the links to a good basic one on learning to play without aggression, and one for the behaviour articles list.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/playtime-aggression

http://www.thecatsite.com/atype/43/Cat_Behavior

Last edited:

courtneykp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Mew is adjusting nicely, and Kitty has befriended her finally. Kitty has taken on the task of teaching Mew proper cat manners. :lol3: So far so good. She is cuddling on the couch with me right now :9:

I did some more research, though. I read somewhere about a possibility of deafness in white cats with blue eyes or odd-eyes. I'm not sure what to be looking for to find out if Mew is or not... Also, any thoughts on coat pattern? She is all white except for a small pea-size black spot on her head. It is just on the tips of her fur, though. Just a unique marking? Or possible van pattern? :dk:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My understanding with the deafness is that it is most common in cats who are albino / completely white and no other colouring even as small spots, and also with same eye colour as @Feralvr  talked about in her earlier post. Because Mew has odd eye colour and all be it small patches of colour on her coat hopefully she is less likely to have issues such as hearing loss.  If you have any concerns about her hearing or sight it is best to talk to the vet e.g. when you take her along for any other checks or vaccinations.

It is lovely and reassuring to hear that Kitty has adopted the role of cat-educator. 

courtneykp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
courtneykp courtneykp

Here's a link that explains all about dominant white coloured cats, deafness and smudges on top of head.

http://messybeast.com/whitecat.htm

Hope this helps :D
Thank you! :thanks: I feel a lot better now. I was genuinely worried that she may be partially deaf, but as far as I can tell she shows no signs. She isn't old enough yet for her vaccinations or spay. I think she is only about 5-6 weeks old. I have recently found out that her mom had abandoned her, her sister and her brother. The momma was a dsh tuxedo, and the boy looks almost identical to her. The two girls are both solid white (except for Mew's spot) with odd-eyes (both one blue and one green) and they both appear to have medium-long hair. So the mystery dad would have to be a solid white dlh, right?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you! :thanks: I feel a lot better now. I was genuinely worried that she may be partially deaf, but as far as I can tell she shows no signs. She isn't old enough yet for her vaccinations or spay. I think she is only about 5-6 weeks old. I have recently found out that her mom had abandoned her, her sister and her brother. The momma was a dsh tuxedo, and the boy looks almost identical to her. The two girls are both solid white (except for Mew's spot) with odd-eyes (both one blue and one green) and they both appear to have medium-long hair. So the mystery dad would have to be a solid white dlh, right?
Oh poor babies ! Lucky for them that you found them :nod:

I think your vet will be able test if she has any degree of deafness. It seems that if she has any deafness it will only be the ear on the same side as the blue eye. So a least she won't be fully deaf. ;) Hopefully she will be totally unaffected though :vibes: :vibes:

I agree with the mystery dad being a solid white DLH :nod: :D

courtneykp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:wavey: Hi! If you've seen any posts from me before, you've probably seen pictures of my Mew.
I *know* she's not any particular breed, but i *think* she resembles a turkish angora. Even her personality! I'm not sure if its just because she is so young, but she is always playing, attacking, hiding, and being a tiny ninja. She is super smart, too! She can open any of our bedroom doors, and has learned how to get on our daughters bunk bed (and back down SAFELY :D). And for some reason, she refuses to be away from us if we are home. She isn't a huge fan of being held (except during nap time), but if i leave a room she is right behind me.

I know that her mom was a stray black and white cat with short hair. I also know that the dad was solid white with long hair like Mew. Andddd i know that Mew's sister is solid white with shorthair, and her brother is black, white and cream color with tabby markings and short hair. However, Mew has long hair? I'm not sure how cat genetics work.. :lol3:

Anyone else think she could be an Angora mix or at least have some Angora ancestors?

Possibly even Norwegian Forest Cat? I know they get big, but i dont know how big she'll get since she's only 7 weeks old in the bottom pictures.

Last edited:

lori39307

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is so pretty! Seeing her reminds me of my buttercup. She was an amber colored turkish angora. She passed last year after being with us 15 years. She was so sweet. I believe your sweetie looks alot like buttercup except the color. During the cooler months her fur looked like she was wearing bloomers. Thank you for posting the picture and bringing back all the wonderful memories of my sweet buttercup aka butterbaby.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, Mew is growing so nicely!  You are right to feel like a proud momma! 
   What a fabby picture of your guys together here, such an unusual and cute position. 

courtneykp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! :9: Precious little love bugs. They like to think that nap time means "wrestle each other until we pass out" time. :lol3:

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
LoL, is that her tail swishing in the third picture here? 
  Brilliant.  She looks like such a character and full of fun and confidence.

courtneykp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes! :lol3: In the first picture, she was attacking my leg until i pulled out my camera. Then she put on her innocent face! :clap:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hee hee, sounds like Kitty has been giving Mew some good lessons.  
   It looks like they are getting on really well which is lovely.