Metronidazole

Soaperjan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is Metronidazole safe to give for nursing cats? My kittens are 3-4 wks old. This is a foster cat. I have heard yes and I have heard no. There were no fecal tests done on the cats stool other than a fecal float. Roundworm eggs were present and cat and kittens were treated for this. Mom has also had advantage multiple. Mom is eating and drinking voraciously and is not vomiting nor does she have blood in her stool. Any advice would be appreciated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soaperjan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is Metronidazole safe to give for nursing cats? My kittens are 3-4 wks old. This is a foster cat. I have heard yes and I have heard no. There were no fecal tests done on the cats stool other than a fecal float. Roundworm eggs were present and cat and kittens were treated for this. Mom has also had advantage multiple. Mom is eating and drinking voraciously and is not vomiting nor does she have blood in her stool. Any advice would be appreciated
Kittens are nursing and two are gaining well. The other two are underweight but strong.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why was she given this? If she has worms and was given a de-wormer, just wondering why she was given this as well?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 ? @stefanz? I can say that frequently the shelters that place cats for fostering will have a preferred vet who gives care to the fostered kitties at a reduced rate; if that's the case here you may want to ask the vet. What were you told when the Metronidazole was prescribed?

Welcome to The Cat Site! :hellosmiley: :hithere: You've found the best community of cat lovers on the internet. Thank you for fostering this family; you obviously belong here, and we're very glad to have you.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Soaperjan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 ? @stefanz? I can say that frequently the shelters that place cats for fostering will have a preferred vet who gives care to the fostered kitties at a reduced rate; if that's the case here you may want to ask the vet. What were you told when the Metronidazole was prescribed?

Welcome to The Cat Site! :hellosmiley: :hithere: You've found the best community of cat lovers on the internet. Thank you for fostering this family; you obviously belong here, and we're very glad to have you.

Margret
Yes it is our vet at the shelter. She told me to try to get the kittens to eat dry food at 4 wks. They are cutting teeth. Don’t think they can handle it. But will try to moisten food with KNR

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Why was the metronidazole prescribed?

Kittens may have a hard time with dry food at 4 weeks. Five to six weeks is more common. Softening it with formula is good. Will they also be getting wet food?

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not something you want to give really unless absolutely necessary and there's no other alternatives. There can be some very bad side effects and it can take a while to shake off the effect of it.

And I don't agree with advice about dry food either and it as annoys me that vets continually promote it, they are not experts in feline nutrition. It's an issue you should inform yourself about and make your own decision. Here's a good starting point:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are tons of great videos on how to wean kittens onto regular food. I never gave my bottle feed kittens dry food at four weeks. Royal Canin Babycat is great but it’s expensive. At any rate, the people on here probably have spent enormous amounts of time doing research that your vet doesn’t have the time for. It’s not like it’s a big part of their training.