Metronidazole safe for cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try putting a small pea size blob of original Vaseline on his lips or paw for him to lick off. If you have psyllium, which is fibre, mix a pinch in his food a couple of times a day. These are if you cant get hold of your vet to get a laxative.
Hi,thank you.i actually don't have Vaseline right now or psyllium. I'm really not sure about that vet.I have Solid Gold wet cat food with pumpkin.He has also had some exercise today running through the apartment. I'm going to try and get himnto exercise a little.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So he just had a bowel movement and it was about half of what he normally does and the consistency was pretty hard,compared to normal which is kind of a soft stool sometimes without form.Im probably going to take him off the Metronidazole for now.we can always go back on it,I've only given him 3 doses so I have pretty much the whole bottle.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well at least you know he's not blocked which is good. As he's drinking a fair amount of water it should help and hopefully the pumpkin in his food.

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well at least you know he's not blocked which is good. As he's drinking a fair amount of water it should help and hopefully the pumpkin in his food.
Yes,I picked up a bad feeling fro the vet to begin with. Also,he gave me the liquid compound of Metronidazole to be given at 1.1 ml in syringe. The next afternoon a lady from his staff called me and said the doctor had revised the dose to .75 ml and then she said,"its alright if you've already given the cat the two doses at 1.1 ml" kind of dangerous. And who knows if they even compounded it correctly. Thank you for your response! 😊

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, dont blame you for the bad feeling on the vet. Metronidazole has a bitter taste and thats why some cats froth when taking it, pill form is so much better I think. Can you switch vets?

Forry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, dont blame you for the bad feeling on the vet. Metronidazole has a bitter taste and thats why some cats froth when taking it, pill form is so much better I think. Can you switch vets?
He won't be going back to that clinic. Yes,I have another vet in mind I'm going to contact this week. Another thing about the vet who prescribed the Metronidazole. The vet never came out and spoke with me at the end.A staff member brought my cat in his carrier to me and I asked her the name of the Doctor and she said, "all I know is his first name us Ryan" so that's not normal,even if he was only filling in.