Metronidazole and probiotics

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long should you space out giving probiotics with metronidazole? I’ve read if you give too close it can make the probiotics not work, but not sure how close is too close. Has anyone given metronidazole for a long period or given then taken a break and given again when things got worse? We are giving it to our boy who has stomach cancer and it does seem to help firm things up (which is great considering he can’t control when/where he goes so I’m cleaning spots from my house pretty much daily). :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry about your cat's cancer. :hugs:

I believe you can use the probiotic s.boulardii side by side with metronidazole without having any issues with effectiveness. It is due to the type of bacteria, which is yeast based, contained in it, which is not impacted by antibiotics.
How To Support Your Pet's Gut Microbiome During & After Antibiotics – AnimalBiome

I can't answer the question about the off-n-on use of Metronidazole, but I am sure other members can offer their input on this aspect and hope they will respond soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s great to know. Thank you!! Is there recommended brands besides the ones in the article? I have the fera brand probiotic, but it’s not just S boulardi.
We have been lucky and have had him with us far longer than we ever imagined when this first began :redheartpump:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Jarrow brand is what I have seen most often referenced. The therapeutic (treating diarrhea) adult cat dose is typically 5 billion CFU split into two daily doses of 2.5 billion CFU each but can be adjusted up (or down) as needed. Again, this is not an exact science, it is a basic guideline that seems to work for many cats. You may need to experiment to find what works best for your little guy.
Amazon.com: Jarrow Formulas Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS - 5 Billion CFU Per Serving - Probiotics + Prebiotic Supplement - Intestinal Tract Support - Up to 90 Servings (Delayed Release Caps) (PACKAGING MAY VARY) : Health & Household

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CakesCats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jarrow brand is what I have seen most often referenced. The therapeutic (treating diarrhea) adult cat dose is typically 5 billion CFU split into two daily doses of 2.5 billion CFU each but can be adjusted up (or down) as needed. Again, this is not an exact science, it is a basic guideline that seems to work for many cats. You may need to experiment to find what works best for your little guy.
Amazon.com: Jarrow Formulas Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS - 5 Billion CFU Per Serving - Probiotics + Prebiotic Supplement - Intestinal Tract Support - Up to 90 Servings (Delayed Release Caps) (PACKAGING MAY VARY) : Health & Household
I will order some. Thank you so much!!!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner says, S. boulardii is not affected by antibiotics. Based on what I’ve read, you should wait two hours after antibiotic administration before giving bacterial probiotics.