Metronidazole and interpreting its effects on diarrhea?

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm dealing with a ~7 month old rescue cat that had been living outdoors in a semi-rural area and that came in with diarrhea and bad gas. Stool sample was negative, but I know an individual stool sample doesn't always catch everything. My vet originally tried Hill's Digestive Care food plus Fortiflora, but that didn't work, so the vet switched him to metronidazole. The diarrhea quickly resolved, and he's about halfway through the course of metronidazole.

But can't metronidazole stop diarrhea in and of itself even in the absence of intestinal pathogens? I'm recalling one case of a rescue kitten whose diarrhea would stop while on it, but would come back when we stopped the medication.

I have this cat in quarantine, and I've deep-cleaned the area twice so far to try to prevent re-infection if there is a pathogen. I'm scooping the litter box several times to day to remove feces for the same reason.

How often is it the case that metronidazole only stops diarrhea temporarily?

As far as the vet can tell, the cat is otherwise healthy, has no fever, etc... He was dewormed with Profender and treated with Revolution immediately on being brought in on November 1st, and he was already gassy when picked up.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't speak for cats, but the doctor put me on metronidazole for a month to clear up a bad helicobacter infection in my stomach (ulcers) and it caused no end of diarrhea for me because it killed all the good bugs in my system along with the bad. I had to take probiotics to straighten things up inside there.

It would seem that the metronidazole would promote diarrhea instead of clearing it up.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Metro has to be used with caution in kittens, although it is prescribed. It can stop diarrhea, but the absence of good bacteria in the intestinal tract can then restart it. I have found that experience varies from person to person or animal to animal. Long term use of it is not recommended usually as there are some specific side effects that can occur.

A lot of members on TCS use S. boulardii (saccharomyces) for help with diarrhea.

Metro is considered to be an anti bacterial and anti protozoan medication and most of us know it as that. However, it can be used in the absence of those bugs it can be used to treat inflammation of the intestinal tract and even for other somewhat obscure infections. My dog has taken it for pancreatitis. So I guess the short answer is that it can be used in the absence of "things" in the intestinal tract.

Thank you for helping this kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I'll try the S. boulardii at the end of the metronidazole course. I don't know what's in Fortiflora, which I was adding to the Hill's wet food, but it made very little difference, if any.

He's very sweet, and I hate that I'm having to keep him quarantined and isolated. I try to spend as much time as I can spare with him, but I can't risk getting him around my other cats and potentially making them sick, too.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise