Metacam

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How do I make it work quicker? Tigger had todays dose with her dinner and I don't think it's kicked in just yet, she's very restless :headscratch:

i been waiting for a hour for it to start working, yesterday it worked but today is seems to be taking its time to work, possibly cause we have snow outside (not sure if that's the reason, just guessing)

edit: she just managed to jump into the bath so I think the metacalm starting to work :heartshape:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What are you using? Post a picture of it please.
I'm using the syringe that came with the medication, measured it out how the vet said and gave it to her straight after she had eaten cause the vet said she had to have it at the same time as having food

The vet did say she's lost some weight, she was 4 and a half kg, from August, she's now 4.2, idk whether that's something to be concerned about, vet didn't say

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The restlessness could be a side effect of the medication. Look up side effects to know if restlessness is one. You may need to ask for a different medication.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The restlessness could be a side effect of the medication. Look up side effects to know if restlessness is one. You may need to ask for a different medication.
she'll be going onto a different one as soon as the vets can get it, as there's a concern about her kidneys

vet advised we put her on a once a month injection one, which they are having to order in cause they ran out :heartshape:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know whether she'll be okay to have her metacalm tonight, while I was out she had a bit of diareah in the tray, so tomorrow I'll be phoning the vet to find out if they are happy her continuing with the metacalm or if she has to go back in, it wasn't major diareah, idk though if a little bit of diareah is enough of a reason to not be giving her the metacalm ?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you giving Metacam for pain? I'm not familiar with Metacalm.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I spoke to the staff at the vets on the phone, they sorting a different medication out for her, gabapentin (idk spelling) cause of the diareah yesterday

she's found a warm spot to have a lay down :heartshape:

i'll be going to pick the medication up this afternoon :catrub:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t give it. Metacam is hard on the kidneys. You never want to give it to a cat that is unwell.
I took her off of the metacalm as soon as I knew she'd had the diareah, I have'nt seen any today from her but cause the vets are changing her medication already, I'll be starting her on the other med once the vets have it sorted, they haven't yet got the injection one in for her, poor baby

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
There's actualy a metacam kills facebook group where people have posted pets that have been killed by this drug, it isn't limited to cats either, even large dogs have been killed by it.

My vet doesn't even perscribe it anymore.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So one of the girls has had a bit more diareah in bed (I suspect Tigger cause she's the one with diareah) sorry idk how to spell it

Unsure whether to phone the vet tomorrow (if she has another diareah during the night) or whether to give her the weekend for her tummy to settle

Its not been much diareah, just a bit on the end of a semi-normal poo

She's found eating her dinner literally exhausting, she didn't finish eating it and came to bed leaving just under half of it, deciding she needed to go to bed

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If it happens again, call the vet tomorrow, at the least. Maybe update them anyway since the weekend is coming.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's very sleepy today and doesn't seem to have much energy, she ate just over half her dinner tonight then went to bed, not sure if its the gabapentin that's causing her to be abnormally sleepy, she's not wanting to move around any more than she absolutely has to

idk if its the gabapentin (spelling) or if I need to worry

She got up to do a normal poo, then went straight back to bed

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The good news is we had A NORMAL POO which I'm over the moon about, just need to figure out if her lack of energy is something to worry about :catrub:
virtually shouting it from the forum rooftop that Tigger did A NORMAL POO tonight :hyper::woohoo:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It very well can be gabapentin that is making her so sleepy, but you might call the vet to let them know and even ask if the dose can be reduced. I don't think that she has taken it for very long, but don't just stop it cold.

Great news about the poo!

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tigger's heading in the right direction, she had three quarters of her dinner before she needed a snooze :heartshape:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Question: Tigger was 4 and a half kg's back in August, she's now 4.2 kg's, vet's aware, is this a concerning drop in weight? Vet didn't say he was concerned, I'm just not sure if that amount of weight was okay for her to lose in several months