Merrick Purrfect Bistro Made My Cat Sick

albercheck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I wanted to share this, in case someone is shopping for new cat food or is wondering what is up with their possibly mysteriously-ill kitty. A few months ago I posted about my cat Percy being very sick and I think the cause was the Merrick food.

Here is the full story:

Percy has been raw-fed since he was a kitten (he is now 2 years), but when I am travelling I buy the best quality canned food I can find and transition him over in the week before I leave. I made a 2-week trip in August 2018, which was a bit long but Percy doesn't seem to mind travelling and loves to explore campgrounds so long as there are no cars/loud things around. I bought an entire case of Purrfect Bistro Chicken Pate from my local pet store because he can eat 6-12 oz per day, depending on his activity. He was eating only the canned food for 2 weeks no problem. On the very last day, mid-morning, he became VIOLENTLY ill. Constant diarrhea and vomiting. We were only 3 hours from home, and made it with lots of stopping (and a two hour break) so he could try and "go", which was at this point just clear fluid/mucous. When we got home he was lethargic and isolating himself hunched up in a corner, still vomiting/diarrhea. I took him to the emergency vet: he had a fever and was mildly dehydrated. We did a bunch of tests and they kept him overnight on IV because he wouldn't eat anything.

The vet suggested an allergy to his food, which I didn't think made sense since he had been eating it for nearly 2 weeks and was fine, though he did have a runny poop the day before. I thought he had gotten into something poisonous while we were stopped at a rest-stop. To be safe, I stopped giving him the food, found a grocery store brand that was also good, and fed him that until I could switch him back to raw (after he was through all the antibiotics etc.) He was great for months (good appetite/good poops).

Two days ago, I was looking at the 1/3 of a case of canned Merrick I had left, and thought - maybe I can see if he will eat this again, so it doesn't go to waste. I trialed him with 1/2 a can (~3oz). Within 1.5 hours he had pure liquid diarrhea. He seemed fine otherwise, and has been fine since. I give him canned food as a treat occasionally, different brands but always grain/filler free and good quality, and he has never had a problem with any of them.

Now, I'm not a vet, but I am a scientist, and that kind of cause-effect seems pretty clear. I will NEVER feed my cat Merrick again. It's not worth the risk.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
How strange! I feed Merrick's purrfect bistro rabbit in my rotation (I feed half raw/half canned). Mine always inhale it and have never had any issues with it. I wonder if something was wrong with that particular batch that you received? Maybe contact Merrick and see if they have gotten in any other reports of that flavor/can size/lot number causing problems. I'm sure they would at least like to know about your cat for quality purposes.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina owns Merrick now, so there should be someone available to speak to.

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 2 kitties have eaten Instinct Rabbit in pouches off and on for months yet this past weekend first Louie and the next day Newman developed very runny diarrhea, some vomiting and fever. Louie ended up needing fluids to get him rehydrated and to help get his fever down. He had an injection of Metacam, B12 and Clavamox. He is seemly doing better.
Newman is still dealing with diarrhea. I have decided to take him off the antibiotic as it seemed to make everything much worse. This evening he seems a bit better. I got him to eat about 3 teaspoons of turkey baby food split into 2 servings about an hour apart. It’s that first interest he has had in food in the past 24 hours.
It is so difficult to trust pet food these days. I hate the thought that the kitties got so sick from something I fed them. It is extremely frustrating!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize it isn’t as easy to find, but I rotated Rawz in when I left for the long Thanksgiving weekend so that the sitter wouldn’t have to do a Rad Cat thaw in the middle of the weekend. Because my fur pig can put away a tub every three days without the Rawz guest star.

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 2 kitties have eaten Instinct Rabbit in pouches off and on for months yet this past weekend first Louie and the next day Newman developed very runny diarrhea, some vomiting and fever. Louie ended up needing fluids to get him rehydrated and to help get his fever down. He had an injection of Metacam, B12 and Clavamox. He is seemly doing better.
Newman is still dealing with diarrhea. I have decided to take him off the antibiotic as it seemed to make everything much worse. This evening he seems a bit better. I got him to eat about 3 teaspoons of turkey baby food split into 2 servings about an hour apart. It’s that first interest he has had in food in the past 24 hours.
It is so difficult to trust pet food these days. I hate the thought that the kitties got so sick from something I fed them. It is extremely frustrating!
Saw vet again today. Shared this post and he is starting my kitties on Metronidazole.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Purina has a track record of making animals sick. I don’t recommend feeding anything owned by Purina. They are typically all made in the same plant.