Meowing while eating

lync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bonnie was a stray and is about 5 years old or more. I know the neighborhood where she was found and the people were feeding her plus a colony of feral cats. She is used to vacuuming up food when presented. I have another cat, Bobby, and he has always been with me since he was a kitten. He knows there is no food shortage here.

I gave Bonnie some chicken as a snack. She meowed real loud between each bite. I thought she was in pain. I don't know if she was telling Bobby "Hey there's chicken out here!" or she was telling him to stay away. I thought it was strange and wondered if anyone has an idea what she was doing. She has not done this before and I've given her chicken before.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard Jack growl with his wet food.

They were having a terrible time with furballs last summer, especially Jack, so i cut out the wet food and just gave them an intense hairball kibble. But when it got cooler 3 months later i gave them a tiny bit wet food again, and that's when i heard Jack. As they ate the girls looked at him as if there was something wrong, but i think he was just enjoying it so much

staceyloobug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I've heard Jack growl with his wet food.

They were having a terrible time with furballs last summer, especially Jack, so i cut out the wet food and just gave them an intense hairball kibble. But when it got cooler 3 months later i gave them a tiny bit wet food again, and that's when i heard Jack. As they ate the girls looked at him as if there was something wrong, but i think he was just enjoying it so much
I just want to say that your one cat (Rosie) is adorable in that photo!

Anyhow, to the original poster, I had a calico (Carmalita) who used to chatter between bites. She was so excited to eat, I guess.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Bonnie was really enjoying that chicken!

My Tolly makes Yummy Noises when he eats, not outright meows, but he is clearly commenting on the comestibles.

With cats.....just because they never did it before doesn't mean they won't start....they love to confound us with change ups!

chinacat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes if Ripley is in a grumpy mood when she's eating she'll make a bad tempered, low 'yam yam yam' noise. She often does it when her & Newt are getting treats and she thinks I'm not supplying them fast enough or when she's eaten hers really fast and she sees me giving Newt a treat which rightfully (in her mind!) should be hers!
It always makes me laugh, then I get the 'How dare you laugh at me' look.
It's definately a different noise from the 'happy food sound'. Does anyone else have a cat that eats & grumbles at the same time?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chinacat

Sometimes if Ripley is in a grumpy mood when she's eating she'll make a bad tempered, low 'yam yam yam' noise. She often does it when her & Newt are getting treats and she thinks I'm not supplying them fast enough or when she's eaten hers really fast and she sees me giving Newt a treat which rightfully (in her mind!) should be hers!
It always makes me laugh, then I get the 'How dare you laugh at me' look.
It's definately a different noise from the 'happy food sound'. Does anyone else have a cat that eats & grumbles at the same time?
Mazy cat does...when she is stealing Tolly's food, after he's left it (if I am not quick enough to pick it up first).

She has a funny little growl that goes up and down as she chews rrr rrr rrr, and when I swoop in and snatch the dish out from under her nose she chirps a protest growl. There's noway to describe the chirp growl, but it sends me into hysterics every time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lync

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to laugh at Ripley, Tolly and Mazy's stories. I love reading about your cats. I guess Bonnie was just enjoying the treat.

I thought maybe when cats are feral and they get a food source, that they may call each other to tell them about it. I thought that because Bonnie was on the streets and she is very much the little gobbler. She was fed from going door to door or garbage cans. Eats super fast and will clean off any plate left unattended. She once grabbed some spicy barbecue chicken and ate it up. It was really spicy too. Thanks for your help.

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I realize this thread is pretty old, but it was the best one I found when I searched "meowing while eating" :lol3:

Crimmie has started doing this every once in a while over the past couple of months. She does that deep "mouw" sound...not a friendly "meow" or tiny "mew"...At first I thought she was in pain...I went running into the kitchen...she was just eating :lol3: Every time I have tried to peek at her making this noise while eating, I just miss it. It's like she does it while chewing almost. Any insight about this behavior?