meowing in the night

beth sycamore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 Roke has a behavior problem,she meows whenever I've gotten into bed to get some sleep. I get up to check on her and to see if anything is wrong,but there is no problem and she just stares back at me. She is a pain to live with,and I'm getting annoyed.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She knows you'll get up to see what is wrong.  This is still rewarding bad behavior no matter how well intentioned.  She is just spoiled!  Haha!!  Try ignoring her a few times, don't get up... Don't do anything.  She'll get the message! 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a little like my Flambe, who will paw at the wires behind my desk (or other things back there) because he knows I'll come around the desk and chase him, and he thinks that's fun!  He's trained me very well...

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before bed, play with her. Get her going with something she can't resist and makes here go crazy - Da Bird is almost guaranteed to do it.

When she's pooped (shouldn't take more than 15 minutes), feed her.

She will out before you hit the pillow.

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
don't think i am mean if i suggest boundaries. watch the dog whisperer - or even read the horse whisperer - after all, they ARE animals and they appreciate gentle guidance. my kitties are not allowed into my bedroom because of my breathing but...when i open the door in the morning they are there waiting and i make sure i give them lots of affection and then...feeding. i'm not quite sure whether it's the food they anticipate or the lovies but, i flatter myself, perhaps they miss me.

i know at night they cluster at my door and awaken to an opening during the night but...i just let them go back to sleep. they need to respect my hours of repose. in every other way they are taken care of:  clean litter and regular cleaning, ensuring they have food they like, treats once a week and furminating their fur, interactive playing with lots of petting when they are disposed. there's even the play mouse on the 'hook' or their own toys (mice with squeeks which they sleep with).

good luck!

2ketzels

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
shy maybe just meows because you are shutting her out and going to sleep. i face the same dilemma with esp one of mine, a girl, so, i pat her on the head and fondle her ear and tells it's night night time.....because i cant' sleep with the hair in my room. she seems ok after that, altho when i awaken in the morning both kitties are most enthusiastic to see me!  ... unless in awaken them sleeping in my place on the couch!

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I didn't see where the OP said she was locking the cat out, is she?  My cats do this also, from time to time.  They always have access to the entire house, including my bedroom while I'm asleep.  But sometimes I am awakened by meowing coming from another room.  My theory is that they wake up in the dark (in another room) and just get frightened or disoriented.  I just call their name out loud (I know their indivdual meows), and they come to me and usually jump on the bed and go to sleep.  If they were crying to gain entrance to a room they are locked out of, that's another story.  If I had to lock them out, I would tend to ignore the meowing, until they got the message, or got tired out.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Brillo does it.  We call her the "town crier."  She usually is carrying a toy in her mouth while she does it, although she will sometimes simply cry while wandering the house.

It can be annoying.  However, you chose to take your kitty as a companion, so it's something that you will have to deal with some way.  I would definitely not get up to check on her, since you've already established this is a pattern.  We just ignore it, it ends soon enough.

Mine does it during the daytime, too.  It's just her "thing," although it's a lot cuter when the sun is up!

Cally

Last edited: