Meowing During Play?

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night when I was in bed I heard who I thought was Prince meowing three times consecutively but it didn't sound painful or anything and when I got up to check on both catss neither of them seemed upset or agitated or injured in any way. I thought it was strange.

Now the last couple nights they've taken to roughhousing on my bed at night and waking me up that way

I'm kind of confused as to whether they're playing or fighting. They spend time together and coexist all day without problem, even cuddling, but when they'e playing I never notice any aggression. I know from working at the pet store I got Prince from, he played rough with the other cats, and he may still (actually another topic entirely, there' no way of knowing his background before rescue, if he was a stray or even feral...I do know his behavior traits don' seem to align with "normal" cat behavior)

I just know they haven't hurt each other yet. Nikita doesn't play at his level either, so I really can't tell when she is playful or not. I know they sweep their tails in a manner playful cats do. I just hope I'm not mistaking stalking, predatory behavior for play

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 of my cats are best buddies and pretty much inseparable, and have been that way for 10 years. They are curled up together on the sofa right now.

When they are feeling lively and want to play, it does look a little rough tbh - they run around and kind of bowl one another over, straddle each other, and nip at each others legs. And hide doing wiggle-butt while their best friend walks past so they can surprise them :D Then when they are tired out, they go curl up together and wash each others faces.

Over time I've come to learn that these behaviours, even though they look a little rough, are normal cat play (probably a bit of dominance behaviour, but in a benign way).

Things to look out for in a serious cat fight are hissing, screeching, spitting, ears held back against the head, fur being ripped out, and bleeding. If these are not happening, and there is just chasing around and wrestling where no-one gets hurt, that is play.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
epona epona is right. And there might actually be a little hissing, and laying back of ears and a squall or two even with very rough play. Just watch to make sure the more aggressive kitty pays attention to those warnings. Cat "play" is actually a very serious business. It is the all-important honing of hunting skills, without which a cat is dead. I know, you are feeding them twice a day, every single day, but a few million years of evolution informs them that they MUST be efficient hunters, and a few months/years in a home isn't going to make a dent in that.

bricksquadbri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had the same questions!
My 5 month old kitten is the loudest during play time, it had me worried sick! Turns out, he's just verbalizing his struggle. Is your cat normally vocal? Mine is, so it made since that he'd be loud while he's exerting so much energy and force.
I wouldn't worry about it if they aren't hurting each other and both cats initiate the play equally.

LolaKitty02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a similar situation with my cats, my oldest (8 years old) is SUPER vocal during play and even sometimes when he's trying to get the kitten (8months old) to play. Sounds like a trill and short meows.

The only thing that concerns me is when their play escalates. It's difficult to know when it will happen and both of them are very playful, I'm worried that the oldest doesn't understand boundaries though, he goes into this hunt mode and his tail gets a little poofy, usually I break it up when that happens but I'm going on vacation soon and I'm worried about them being alone together for prolonged periods of time in between when the cat sitter comes in. Any suggestions welcome :)

One last thing I will note: They play often, but do not cuddle at all and the oldest doesn't really want the kitten around him when he's laying down. The kitten wants to cuddle but my oldest is super territorial over the couch and our bed, sometimes lashing out and swatting her when she's laying there.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this seems to be quite normal. My two are like this as well. Toffee is a lot bolder than Fudge and will often be the first to start fights. They can get quite nasty to each other, and growl, hiss (when they start to growl and hiss that's normally my cue to separate them) etc but no serious damage is done. Equally they get on with each other well and can often be found snuggling up together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right, I'm going to concur with you guys. It's always fun watching them play and seeing who will get the upper hand (and as I type they're both on my desk, batting pens onto the floor)