Meowing after using litter box?

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After he's done using the litter box, Puppy walks out of the bathroom and meows at us. I assume he's not in pain because he doesn't do this until after he leaves the box and the bathroom. Most of the time it's just a meow at us, but sometimes he decides to meow while racing across the room. Then he stops and acts like nothing happened.
What gives?

The only other strange litter behavior is his obession with digging. I swear, sometimes he digs in there for 15 minutes before he find an appropriante place. Oh, and he doesn't like for us to watch. If we are, he stops everything and meows until we leave. Boy requires privacy.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, None of ours meow after using the litter box, but Tuffy and Panther "talk" allot on there way to the back room before they use the box. But Tuffy and Panther are "talking" all the time anyways. Missy comes and tells me that she is hungry and "talks" up a storm till I give her some canned food,
other wise she is real quiet.

jeanne r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 15 year old cat started doing exactly as you described, but it was after we introduced 2 new cats into the house , even though we keep them separated on different floors. Maybe it's a territorial thing?
She recently had some minor surgery and the vet did a thorough work up and all studies were normal and her stools and urine are normal, so it may just be one of those things that we never figure out.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my cats do this sometimes (meowing right after using the box or while running across the room afterward)!  Cats are just funny sometimes.  :) 

I don't think you need to worry, unless he is meowing before or during, maybe indicating he's having trouble or pain. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Noodles always takes a victory lap after she leaves a stinky one behind. Mooch digs to China. I wonder if he is telling you to go clean up after him! LOL

A friend of mine had a cat that used to wait till she came home for lunch every day to use the box. The cat would watch out the window for her car, greet her at the door, and then run to get box and go. Cats are just weird like that sometimes!

turtbat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@MoochNNoodles my torti does the same dang thing. The stinkier the poop, the louder the meow when she hops out of the litter box, the farther she has to run to let out her excitement. Its adorable but strange.

thescottishgurl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My domestic black cat does this too. She goes potty, runs out of the potty box at mach 5, runs around, meowing and freaking out like a crazy cat for a few minutes, then acts like nothing happened. Anyone actually know why this happens?

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Xena has to do her "victory lap" as well. She will meow when she is done to say "Mommy I'm done".  I liken it to a little kid who is newly potty trained, sitting on the pot and yelling "I'm done!" when he wants help wiping LOL

Occam said it best (and this totally pertains)

The simple answer: Cats can be weird :)