Meow Mix pouches

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I found that my kitten LOVES the meow mix pouches and little containers, but I can't find any feeding recommendations on the packaging. How much should I be giving him? He is 3 pounds (3 months old) but needs to gain weight since he lost .5 lb after being sick. He gets dry food offered all day....any suggestions?

Also, he gets two canned meals a day...so whatever it is needs to be divided in half.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not familar with the pouches; however if its like the Meow Mix dry food I would not feed my cats any of it. Meow Mix contains a lot of dye which most cats can't tolerate and have problems with it.

I'd find something better to give as treats.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I'm not familar with the pouches; however if its like the Meow Mix dry food I would not feed my cats any of it. Meow Mix contains a lot of dye which most cats can't tolerate and have problems with it.

I'd find something better to give as treats.
The pouches are actually good, ingredient-wise. A bit fish-heavy, but good.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Two pouches per 4.5 lbs up to double for kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, the ingredients are actually really good. No by-products and/or grains. Thanks for the input...I think I will do a pouch a day (since he gets dry food as he wants it).

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just to add... my cat weighs about 9lbs and he gets two pouches a day, no dry food and he's a good healthy weight. I can't imagine feeding per 4.8lbs I would think it would make for one fat cat!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ginger is 9 pounds at 13 months old and will only eat one Meow Mix pouch or container per day, along with the dry mix that is out for her all day. She won't eat any other kind of wet, and she won't eat more than one pouch except on rare occasions.

I figure, give them as much as they'll eat while they're kittens, slow it down after 1-2 years old.

hollyncats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW i thought Meow Mix wasnt good but i guesse know i am going to buy her these because they are pretty cheap....do any of them not have fish because Cali doesnt like fish!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HollynCats

WOW i thought Meow Mix wasnt good but i guesse know i am going to buy her these because they are pretty cheap....do any of them not have fish because Cali doesnt like fish!!
Meow Mix is NOT a great quality food, but I give it to Ginger because that's all she'll eat foir wet and I want to be sure she gets wet as part of her diet.

I make sure that the dry food I feed her is a blend of higher quality foods like Nutro and Royal Canin, so I don't feel so bad giving her "junk" food like Meow Mix.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by HollynCats

Maybe the Filet Meow doesn't, and Gobblicious is Chicken and chicken liver
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Meow Mix is NOT a great quality food, but I give it to Ginger because that's all she'll eat foir wet and I want to be sure she gets wet as part of her diet.

I make sure that the dry food I feed her is a blend of higher quality foods like Nutro and Royal Canin, so I don't feel so bad giving her "junk" food like Meow Mix.
While I whole-heartedly agree that the dry Meow Mix is junk, the pouches do not have any by-products in them and the first 3, at least, ingredients are meat, so how does that make the pouches junk? i understand they're high in fish, but their dry doesn't have much fish so I'm not worried about that

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Harley the Meow Mix pouches, as its the only wet food he will eat.

He gets 3 a day, morning noon and night - and he hardly eats any dry food.
He loves them!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

While I whole-heartedly agree that the dry Meow Mix is junk, the pouches do not have any by-products in them and the first 3, at least, ingredients are meat, so how does that make the pouches junk? i understand they're high in fish, but their dry doesn't have much fish so I'm not worried about that
It is more in the additives. I personally don't have an issue with by-products unless they are undigestible. Intestines are considered by-products, for example, but innards would be the first thing a cat eats in the wild!

I used the term "junk" food in quotes because Meow Mix is considerd by many on TCS to be a low quality food with additives that don't do anything for the health of your cat.

Again, Meow Mix is what I feed Ginger because it's what SHE wants to eat. I only exist to serve her.

By the way, based upon the protein content alone, the Fancy Feast Fish & Shrimp Feast has a higher protein content than does Meow Mix, just FYI, and Fancy Feast, from what I've read on these forums, is considered even lower quality than Meow Mix.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like the pouches also, My thing is I have read alot of labels and this is not that bad, I think you should feed what you feel is the best for what you can afford, and I don't think it's all that cheaop myself, I am feeding 8. I don't feed the dy though

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

My cats like the pouches also, My thing is I have read alot of labels and this is not that bad, I think you should feed what you feel is the best for what you can afford, and I don't think it's all that cheaop myself, I am feeding 8. I don't feed the dy though
Dye???
Are you talking about the sodium nitrite??

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Dye???
Are you talking about the sodium nitrite??
I think halfpint meant to say dry food. The Meow Mix wet is better quality than the dry, overall.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Oh yeah, I hear ya on that! I've got 7 and soon to be 11, I really can't afford anything more expensive than the MM pouches, and I only feed them the wet once a day for dinner and its 3 pouches at a feeding (Sapphire only eats a nibble, she doesn't care for wet very much
) and the babies split a pouch, but I have a feeling that will change soon to 2, plus probably at least 2 more with the new babies. OK time for some math LOL I'll say 6 pouches a day, at 33 cents per pouch thats 1.98 a day, 13.86 a week, approx 59.40 a month (based on 30 days) that adds up to a grand total of 712.80 a year
did I mention I already work 2 jobs

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

i read the ingredients on all the cat foods at petsmart yesterday and was surprised to see that royal canin has basically the same ingredients as authority and other "mid-grade" foods. why is it thought by some to be such a high quality food? i wasnt impressed by it at all, but the price was sure a lot higher!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have looked at the ingredients twice on the Royal Canin myself, the second time because I actually thought I must've misread something because so many people rave about it. I don't get it either.

ognstub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my two boys started shedding like crazy on royal canin...we stopped that right away. the volume of food intake increased as well. its not an impressive food in our eyes