Mentally challenged kitten?

gimli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Basically long story short; the mother of my cat, Freya, gave birth to a new litter and my friends believe one of the cats may be a little slow due to his looks and just general nature. He is actually very healthy and the biggest in the litter, but is the slowest to learn and do everything. We don't know if he really is mentally challenged until they start litter training him i guess?

Anyhow, I am going to be taking in this precious bundle because I have a lot of time and patience and love to spread. I'm also very worried that he may not be taken into a good home and my friends have expressed how they would really like me to be the one take care of the kitten. My question is... how do I go about running a house with two cats? Freya is my first and only cat and she's quite spoiled -- I'm afraid bringing in a new kitten may make her angry and I'm worried she may not be as gentle as she needs to be with this kitten. She doesn't mind playing with my grandpa's kitten but when we rescued him, she was so mad at me that as soon as I got home alone with her she ignored me for a few hours. :( but she loves to play with that kitten!

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is a big size difference between the two then you might want to spend a couple days longer introducing them than you normally would to avoid any fights, but I didn't have a problem when I brought my kitten home at 8 weeks and 3.5 lbs when my first cat was 12 lbs of moody Siamese. In fact, the kitten is the one who ended up being the alpha cat almost right away because kittens are naturally energetic and friendly, and my other cat mistook that for aggression and dominance.

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How sad she's had yet another litter, hope she's getting spayed after this lot. 

If he's not yet litter trained he must be around 3 weeks old, it would be hard to tell if he were mentally challenged at that tender age. 

Most cats adjust quite quickly to kittens, as kittens aren't ready to be rehomed until 12 weeks old I wouldn't worry too much about the size difference but do keep them apart at first when you're not around. If she does ignore you, it shouldn't last long. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gimli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah they're young not sure how young. Their pupils started contracting when I was up there, so I assume very little!! And the mom is definitely gonna get spayed after this litter -- long story short: my friends went out to help with a birthday party and their room mate left the window open and didnt realize mommy had gotten out until two days later when she came back for food. Unfortunately we were going to get her fixed but then she ended up pregnant. But we have homes for almost all of the kittens. The first litter they did because they wanted to breed two of their gorgeous cats and wanted to help me and my friend get two kittens. That litter was very small, only four kittens! This litter has six and no deaths whatsoever we're all very happy. :) thank you for the advice guys!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For future reference she could have been spayed upon returning from being let out. 

All kittens should also be neutered before adoption, to be responsible and stop the cycle.