Memories Of Teaka

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
About 5 months after my first cat, Claire, took her final journey, my mom called; "Hey hun, I know it's been a while now, and I know you were thinking about getting an Ocicat... My friend, you remember her, the breeder, has a 5 month old kitty that she needs to re-home. Are you interested? Oh, and she's pregnant..."

So I called her friend, the breeder, who I used to clean house for when I was a teenager; "Hey! How are you? Your mom tells me that you are looking for an Ocicat. I have one that needs a home. I originally sold her and her sister to a family, but the father really only wanted the sister. So, when they went to their first vet check up and discovered that this one not only has a minor heart murmur but was pregnant, they sent her back to me. I had no idea she was pregnant, she's only 5 months old! Unfortunately, I can't breed her either, because she carries the marker for cleft pallet as well. That's another story, another breeder didn't disclose it to me when I had my queen bred to her stud. Anyway, if you want her, she's yours, I know you'll give her a good home. And if you let her go through the pregnancy, I'll draw up some agreements for you when you home the kittens. Oh, I'll send you a picture..."

Of course I said yes...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I drove the 300+ miles to the ranch my mom was living at, and met the new kitty.
She was hiding under a bed.
She was very skittish and shy, but I eventually coaxed her out. I stayed at the ranch for the weekend, getting her to warm up to me before I had to take her on the long journey home.

We named her Teaka, because her coat reminded me of light teak wood.

Teaka was not a snuggle bunny. She did not like to be held. She tolerated some petting... for a few minutes at a time. Laps were not her thing, but she was content to sit next to a human on the couch. She would wait until she was sure the humans were asleep before joining them on the bed along with the other older cat, the Princess, Belle.

Eventually, she realized that our home was relatively quiet and relaxing. We cleared a space in the hall closet, fixed up a box of blankets, left the door cracked, and introduced her to the nest for when she was to have her kittens.

Then she became Momma Teaka

Last edited:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Teaka was a good momma, even when we ended up moving a mere month after the kittens were born. She even tolerated the dog's occasional "help" (though Babee, the dog, drew the line at nursing). We kept two of the kittens, named them Pippen and Loki (earned!), and homed the others.

Eventually, my persistent handling of Teaka, convinced her that cuddling was not such a bad thing after all. It took a few years, but she allowed me to pick her up, over my shoulder. Laps became warm places of comfort, as well as the crook behind a human's knees at bedtime.

At one point, I bought a new comfy chair, with high arms and back, which she found to be perfect for hanging out. When I was sitting in it, she'd hang out on the arm, but as soon as I vacated, she would make herself comfortable... In fact the whole family would make themselves comfortable!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Teaka's personality developed into a sweet and playful spirit. She continued to chase and fetch the string-on-a-stick well into her elder years... as recently as last December. My mom was especially enamored of her whenever she came to catsit for us during vacations.

Teaka had a somewhat strained relationship with her son, Loki (maybe he reminded her of his dad), but Pippen was the referee between them and kept the peace.

Last year, we lost Pippen to his ongoing liver complications. We also lost the Princess Belle to kidney failure (at age 20), and Babee the dog to an Addisonian crash. So, we were down to Teaka and her son, Loki. Amazingly, they managed to work things out.

Last edited:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently, Teaka began to fail. We'd been managing her CKD for a few years with diet and phosphorus binders, but she got to the point where she was not eating much. Having been through this with Belle, I feared the worst.

Last week, we helped her on her final journey.
Her sweet presence is very much missed.
Yes, even by Loki.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am sorry for your loss, she was beautiful and I can imagine the sadness you are going through right now, it is an unbearable pain that somehow with time, love and prayers loses it's "sting", still there but not as sharp.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am sorry for your loss, I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
We picked up her ashes today.
Her box is up on the shelf with Pippen and Belle.
I like to think Teaka and Pippen are hanging out together, much as they used to...

Loki has taken to hanging out on the chair arm where she used to sit.

It's hard... having had a full house for a good 15 years... to see the empty places.

Last edited:

Plumeria

Leroy's Mommy
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful memorial....like a story book complete with photos. :clap2:

This past year must have been so painful for you. So many of your beloved children crossing over like that. They look so happy in your photos. A testament to how well you loved and cared for them. The empty looking spaces in your home are occupied by their spirits and the deep love you shared for so many years. You and Loki are not alone. Sending you hugs.:hugs::angel:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
I've done most of my crying, though it still aches. And I know Loki misses her, because he is just a little more needy.

But mostly, I just wanted to tell her story.
She really was super sweet, and smart enough to stay out of trouble (unlike her sons, lol).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When a precious ,sweet girl like this crosses over, it is a loss that is almost impossible to comprehend. But I hope you can take comfort knowing she had the best of homes, a wonderful cat and human family and the most important thing in her life, your love. You took her in, you gave her her world and you were there for her when she had to go. She thanks you for that and I'm sure wants you to go on with your life seeking it's joys, knowing she will forever send her love and what comfort she can for eternity.
It leaves such a hole in our lives when they leave us. It takes a long time for time to heal that hole, to adapt to their not being there beside us. But they shared our life's journey and the bond that was formed will tie your souls together for eternity.That can never be taken from you because death cannot take that which never dies.....your love for each other. Now the new path they follow will forever parallel our own until the day it once more meets and we can be together again. Try to hold on the fact that she loved life so very much and would never want you to spend yours in grief. Just as you would want for her, she wants you to live your life with joy and happiness, to send her that joy in a prayer, so she may know you are fine, not sending her the grief you are feeling right now. Do not let the death be more important than the life, the life was infinitely more precious and important.
My heart goes out to you, i'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself, the others need you... RIP precious Teaka. You will be forever missed and dearly held in a loving heart for eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Teaka, dream you deep. You walk in someone's heart forever.

She was, and is, a stunningly beautiful cat. Love does not die, it changes form and continues on, still Love. So those empty places are not so empty, after all. Sweet, loving spirits fill them, unseen, but sometimes felt. She is with you still.