Meloxicam

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I've read negative reports on Meloxicam, but I just got a call from the vet's office, and they've given it to my senior cat after her dental, and they will give it over the weekend as well. She had two extractions. I always like to keep them at the vet's after dentals in case there are problems. The vet said she is fine, and I will call again later.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have never used Meloxicam with a dog or cat, but only because it was never prescribed. Your concerns are based on the fact that you have heard that it is not safe for cats or that there is a black box warning on this particular medication. Having said that, many common meds carry a black box warning; for example, antidepressants, brocodilators, and some antibiotics.

Metacam For Cats: The Pros And Cons Of Meloxicam For Pain Relief – TheCatSite Articles

From what I have seen on TCS, there are members whose cats have taken it with no issue, while others are concerned about its safety.

Your vet has already started using it. However, that does not mean that you can't call them and express your concern and ask if there is another medication that could be substituted. You just had dental work done on your cat, so this should be a follow up question which they should be willing to discuss with you.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meloxicam is the generic name for Metacam. Call the vet and ask them to use a different pain/anti-inflammatory (NSAID). Metacam can have very negative side effects. I have it on my never give list at my vet's office.