Melena? White thing?

shlurp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I saw there were darker spots on one of my babies poop. I’ve been in contact with my vet throughout this process, as it started with blood, progressed to mucus with some blood, and now has this substance I fear may be melena. I have also mentioned that on the end of the poops, there’s some gooey looking white stuff, but have never received any response about it.
I’m currently waiting to hear back from my vet about the pictures I have here, but I was hoping for a little more info if possible, and if I should call another vet, one my other cat has starting seeing.

I have put yellow arrows to refer to the white stuff I’m referring to— it’s the only spot there is ever white stuff, and it’s been consistent since I noticed the blood.
The black stuff is on the same section, and on the other end of the log shaped section. (Just saying in case it’s hard to pin point)

E538C177-2B0E-4054-8A16-FF32E47F4EE7.jpeg 24D9710E-9E1D-41FF-BF83-45E44A296F5D.jpeg EB4E1B67-506C-444E-AF29-9A7DBBF77694.jpeg D38A6030-E3B8-45A6-9614-7E3890C60DBE.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you are going to have to wait to hear from the vet - you might want to take a sample (as clean as possible from any litter debris) and bag it, place it in the refrigerator in case the vet will let you bring in a sample for analysis. If so, ask the vet about a full fecal PCR as that will check for bacterial/viral issues as well as a number of parasites. This looks to be a combination of both the upper and lower GI tract being affected because there is what looks to be both older blood (upper GI tract) and newer blood (lower GI tract). If you don't hear back from the vet soon, call them and ask if the sample you have is fresh enough for you to bring in for analysis.

How is your cat acting otherwise? If anything else is going on, I would recommend you take this cat to the vet sooner rather than later.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am certainly no vet and can only tell you what I think I see. Did your vet suggest a diagnosis to you already or is that what you are waiting to hear?

In my experience, melena has always presented as really black, tarry stool. I think that I am seeing some of that, but intermixed with lighter stool which would indicate that blood from the upper and lower tract is present. The other point that you mention looks like mucus; not to be overlooked, but it does not appear like part of the stool itself.

Dark stool can be the result of various conditions ranging from non serious to much more serious blood loss and internal bleeding, not always from the intestinal tract, so I think that you really need to push this with the vet and get some help for your cat.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is this a pica kitty? Does she have a tendency to chew on or eat plastics, plastic bags or other foreign objects?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. The vet needs to have a sample to process, especially if there have been changes. If you do not feel confident in your current vet or think he/she is not taking the matter seriously enough, by all means I would get a second opinion. I know a lot more about human health, but that poop is showing definite evidence of a problem, as you are already aware. I just can't pinpoint what is wrong. My vote is vet, even if it is a different one. I wish your cat well and hope you are able to find treatment soon. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: