Melamine bowls!!!

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was looking at different cat bowls online on the Petsmart website, and I noticed that several of the Whisker City brand bowls are described as "melamine" bowls and manufactured in China. I have two sets of ceramic Whisker City bowls that I use for my cats, so this concerns me. I know that the cats are not actually eating the bowls, but they do put their mouths on the bowls daily and probably inhale whatever chemicals they contain. Could constant exposure to these bowls cause the same health problems that pets suffered from eating the melamine tainted food from China several years ago? Should I get some new bowls, or am I just overreacting?

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tend to lean towards the paranoid side, so I'd switch bowls if I were you. Better spend some money than find out they are actually harmful. Especially with today's recall on China-made jerkies (again).

Last edited:

night wing

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Chinese could care less what happens to people or pets (their's or our's) where food is consumed. The Chinese government likes to "talk the talk" on this subject, but they "can't walk the walk".

Enough said.

tnyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I have purchased plates from Crate and Barrel and other nice stores for human use, that were melamine. The only thing about melamine is heat will cause the chemicals to leach. I've spoken to many grandmas about this, and it seems like it's safe for water and dry food. Just no microwaving or very hot food served on it. I mean, I would not risk it, but I think you're fine :)