Megacolon

lorrainem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My boyfriend and I recently had a horrible experience with megacolon in our beloved kitty and I wanted to share my experience to help anyone who may be going through the same thing.
Sheldon (my 4 year old sweet little guy) was first constipated last summer, we took him to the vet and he received enemas to unclog him. Everything seemed fine with him until it happened again. For the second time last summer he was given enemas and was sent home.
For almost a year he was fine, with a high fibre diet. In the beginning of May we had a move planned from Kitchener to Toronto, and my sweet little boy was again constipated.
He was taken to the vet in Kitchener before the big move, and was for the third time was given enemas. Except this time it did not work.
Last week I noticed Sheldon was not eating and was loosing a significant amount of weight, so I brought him to the vet to see why he was not eating. Stress, heat? Within 5 minutes the vet knew right away that he was in fact constipated again.
Sheldon had the surgery last Friday to remove part of his colon. He never recovered. First he couldn't maintain his temperature, then his wound would not stop bleeding. We managed to nurse him back to health but only to have more problems.
The final event was Tuesday night when Sheldon started to have seizures.
He passed away on Wednesday morning, in our arms.
I'm writing this to you all to share my experience and hope that it will help anyone who has had the same problem.
I was told that after the first enema, surgery should have been the next step. Not 3 more times.
I don't want anyone to have to experience the pain we just went through, so please, if your kitty becomes constipated more than once talk to your vet about the surgery.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened to  you and your Sheldon.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Sheldon :rbheart:, and :hugs: to you. That's a very unfortunate outcome, and frustrating to learn after the fact that there were other things you could have done. Thank you for sharing your story. The better informed we all are, the better off our cats will be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorrainem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been the hardest thing I have ever experienced. We did everything we could for him, and it really felt like things were going to be different.
If my experience can help anyone, I am happy