megacolon meds

kittycat004!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. My 14.5 year old female kitty just got diagnosed with mega colon. She was put on Cisapride last Satruday. Started it Sat. AM. I give it to her at 7am and 7pm. Then I feed her at 7:30 am (per vet instructions-wait 1/2 hour) and 1:ish (no cisapride given) and again at 7:30pm.(1/2 hour after Cisapride given in evening) She seems fine with the 10mg pill in the AM, but as soon as I give her the pill and feed her in the evening she begins to assume the position, as I call it, looking like she wants to poop, but doesn't. She pushes her bum up against hard surfaces like doors and walls or just stands in middle of room crouched in pooping position. This goes on for more than an hour, even if she has had a BM earlier in the day.
I have a call out to vet. But in your experiences with this medicine, do you think the dosage is too high or not high enough? What experience have you all had with this medicine and how it is administered? thanks for the help!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The dose of Cisipride for cats is 2.5 to 5 mg per dose every 8 to 12 hours. Unfortunately not allot of study has been done on cat doses and what has been done shows great variability in their response.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycat004!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. The dose of Cisipride for cats is 2.5 to 5 mg per dose every 8 to 12 hours. Unfortunately not allot of study has been done on cat doses and what has been done shows great variability in their response.
Thank you! I did increase the amount of time between giving the pill and feeding her and it seems to be helping!!