Megacolon advice

RedNano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My first post here.
My 10yo cat has been diagnosed with megacolon on july 2022 and had to be manually emptied by the vet.
After that, I followed the vet's guidelines and started giving him high on fiber dry food which kept him ok for almost 9 months.
Since december 2022 up until now, he got the habit of pooping outside, sometimes skipping one day or two so finally, on april 2023, I took him to the vet again and confirmed a recurring blockage and got him emptied again.
Now I'm gettin worried beuase despite giving him lactulose twice per day and following an estrict high on fiber diet, it took him less than two weeks to start pooping outside of the litter again.
I'm consulting with two different vets to get as many options as possible but I made the mistake of looking up on the internet other people's experiences and that's when I first learn about people that in my case had to end up euthanizing their pet.
Now, for me, I don't think I'm in that stage yet: When he's pooping, he does not hiss or cry: He just tries to expel the fecal matter but can't fully do it, which makes him to start running around the house, leaving a poop trail and ending up running his butt along the floor to remove that extra poop he can't deal with.
Other than hat, he's the guy he's always been: He didn't lose weight (well, he actually did now that i'm restricting his diet). He's always hungry, almost doesn't puke after eating. He drinks, he plays, he sleeps, he cuddles, he sunbathes, cleans himself and does not seem like it's an appropriate thing to think about quitting still.
I don't want to even consider it and I freak out just with the thought of it. I've read about cases in which the cats have blood on their stool, spend days at a time without pooping, poop hard feces or lose apetite or get dehydrated and my guy does not have any of these issues: Yet I'm still worried sick.
I just need some opinions of people that has gone through the same to know that i'm right and that I'm not fooling myself. He does not seem to be suffering and I don't care if I have to pick up shit 2 or 3 times on a day sometimes in exchange to have him by my side for longer.
I want to know I'm right by not giving up on him just yet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Until some members with firsthand experience come along - hopefully soon - maybe you would like to look through previous related posts on this site?
Search Results for Query: megacolon | TheCatSite

I do know that some of these members use more than one type of laxative, so that might be one option to explore, Miralax for example. And meds like cisapride (stimulates the smooth muscle in the digestive tract to contract more frequently) are often used as well.