Mega Colon Possibly More?

nevnoir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1936089_1174204287428_6336874_n.jpg
10981311_10205155173751104_359863419302472915_o.jpg
Im the proud, loving Mom of 3 great kitties. 2 are Siamese X brother and sisters that are currently 11 years old, whom Ive had since they were 8 weeks, and a wonderful (though slightly autistic) Bambino hairless kitty who is 1 1/2.

When my girl Siamese Meioko was about 3 years old she was diagnoised with Mega Colon, which caused her to become extremely constipated to the point of no longer being able to eat.The vet and I tried many different types of foods and medications, before it was decided that Laculose with every meal and wet food, very low in fibre is what she seemed to do the best with. Despite this, she still would get so backed up about 3 times a year and would have to go into the vet to be sedated and manually evacuated.

Over the last 2 years her visits to the vet have gone from 2-3 a year to now where basically as soon as I bring her home from the vet, within only a few days she is getting extremely backed up again. The vet said there really isnt much that can be done about this aside from surgery, which he said still wouldnt be a guarantee. Surgery sadly is out of the question for me, as Ive recently become disabled and truly cannot afford the thousands of extra dollars in costs right now.

Anyways thats the background situation. She is currently doing the worst shes ever been. She is beyond weak, to the point of not being able to jump up onto the couch, and has almost zero strength. At this point its looking like I might have to put her down. I guess my question is, how do you know when it is the "right time" to do it? She is eating a little bit, but Ive noticed as of the last few days shes been making a strange crunching noise when she eats that Ive never heard before, despite the fact she is eating wet food.

Any help/suggestions/advice would be welcome and very much appreciated.
10981311_10205155173751104_359863419302472915_o.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry your little one is going thru this. Is she on Cisapride and Miralax, or has she ever been? Those are the medications I've most often heard associated with Megacolon. I know Lactulose can lose it's effectiveness after awhile, or so I've been told.

As far as when it's "time", when your cat no longer enjoys life, or is in pain, then it's time. Usually, then will let you know by their actions. They will withdraw, stop eating, that sort of thing. Here is a quality of life scale that might be of help to youhttp://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/November-2009/Quality-Of-Life-Scale/

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The "crunching" sound usually indicates they are in great pain. It is common with cats who have FIP, and if they get to that stage, I do put them down immediately, although usually I've done it before then. If you aren't going to put her down now, I would recommend getting some buprenorphine from your vet which you can give orally and will relieve the pain.