Meeting a rescue kitten. What do we do?

murielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

So my significant other and I are adopting a kitty from a rescue organization.  We're going to meet our potential fur baby on Friday.  He is a four month old black kitten.  They describe him as a cuddler, which I am happy to read about, as for some reason male cats seem to like me and I can get away with giving kisses and snuggles.

I know when we meet him I'll be both nervous and excited (my fiancee on the other hand is always very calm, he might not have the same problem).  I know that could be a problem because he'll pick up on it and might be overwhelmed by that energy.  Does anyone have any tips as to how to make our first meeting a positive one for both of us?

Cheers

Murielle

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kitten will probably put YOU at ease if he's been in rescue awhile.  Also, BLESS YOU for adopting a black kitten.  They are the sweetest things but often get overlooked for more flashy kittens.  Let the foster mom take the lead in the introductions and just let yourself love the little guy.  If the chemistry between you isn't right, don't feel obligated, but if it is right, be sure to find out what food he has been on and what litter he has been using and don't change anything right away.  Also find out his favorite toys and get them for him.  The Feline Flyer or DaBird (basically the same type of toy) is usually a hit, as is the "red bug" little laser light they will chase.  Mine are particularly fond of the Cosmic Catnip Banana, also.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Red Top Rescue.  I'm sure the kitten will be happy to meet you and your SO.  There happened to be someone from a no-kill agency looking at kittens when I went to adopt at the animal shelter.  She was taking kittens out of cages and passing them to me left and right.  Speck just clung to me, purring.  I know you'll do fine.  Bless you and your SO for rescuing.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice :).  I've always wanted a black cat, I love their mystique :).  I had one before but we had to put her down due to a chemical imbalance in her brain that made her behaviour unpredictable and the vet told us it would only get worse.  I am praying this time around it will work out as this time I know more about his background.

Anyway thank you again.

Murielle

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Black cats are the best! Unless he's one of those kittens who's never met a stranger, it can help to get down to his level by sitting or kneeling on the floor, then slowly extending a finger for him to sniff. Treats are a good way of breaking the ice - his foster family might have some there for you to give him, or you can bring some with you.

:vibes: :vibes::vibes:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with all of this as well. I am a proud member of team black cat. I have 3 and they are the BEST! (No- I am not prejudiced at ALL 

I'd recommend a cat tree (that's what Sophie's relaxing on with her banana). It gives them vertical space and that helps them feel secure. They like being up high and the ability to look down on you.  Wand toys like Da Bird are great too but my cats like this one better. You and your SO might hate it because it makes noise. 

http://www.cattoys.com/playnsqueak-at-night-twinkle-mouse-play-wand.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murielle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He'll definitely have to meet my parent's chihuahua (I say she's my parent's chihuahua now because my father loves the dog so much that I was pretty much told that she would be staying with my parents when I moved out.  Not what I wanted but at the same time I know I'll see her all the time.) and in January there is a possibility of a chihuahua puppy in our future (I'm going to have to invest in a good vacuum),