Meet My Saluki!

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is my wonderful, wonderful heart dog, Strider. He is going to be 10 years old this January.

strider-min.png

I got him as a puppy from a lovely, knowledgeable breeder when I was about 13 and he is 100% my baby. Strider and I did 4H, Obedience, Rally, Junior Handling, Lure and Field Coursing, and regular AKC shows together. I learned to train and handle him and we developed an amazing partnership. I was pretty lucky that my intro to the dog show world was with such a gorgeous and correct boy. He gained his AKC championship easily with some exciting big wins at specialty shows. When I competed in obedience with him at the fairs, he was right up there with the Golden Retrievers and Border Collies (Salukis are NOT known for their obedience!). He did everything I ever asked of him and we had tons of fun together.

3_boys_pleasanton_2014.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 1.04.12 PM.png

Personality-wise, he is pretty much flawless. He has excellent manners and is easygoing, sweet, and absolutely hilarious. He spends most of his days lounging on the sofa or in the sunshine, with the occasional sighthound zoomies, and he gets a walk at the forest, park, or beach every day. He endures many cuddles every day and likes to sleep behind the crook of your legs at night. He knows lots of tricks, too, like giving kisses and sitting up and fetching tissues! His favorite treat is vanilla ice cream. Everyone who meets him absolutely loves him. He also recently sired a litter of really nice puppies who are growing up beautifully!

He is an angel. When I went through serious physical and mental health issues in my late teens, Strider saved my life and was always there to comfort me. I was SO sad when I had to leave him to go to college a few hours away, and even more sad when I moved overseas, but I know my parents' home is the best place for him now that he's older. He is enjoying an excellent retirement with my parents and sister Buttercup, a little Shih Tzu mix, with their comfy house and giant backyard. I miss him a lot and I'm always so excited to see him when I get the chance to visit! I love this dog so much. He is truly a once-in-a-lifetime boy. :hearthrob:

14088498_10208211646021617_3760958555306946703_n.jpg

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_3981.jpeg

IMG_9671.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a beautiful, handsome and smart boy, and your photos are wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Makes me teary-eyed upon reading this post, as I also have three dogs back in my home country, and I miss them everyday.

Your dog is a truly handsome boy. From where I currently am I see a lot of this breed here. I used to have one here, but since this is not really a pet tolerant place one day my Diego was found dead near a garbage bin. Not sure what happened to him, but I mourned his death. From then on I knew I cannot take in a dog in this country.

I love the way you describe him as your "heart dog". It speaks volumes on how you truly love this boy. Being a dog person myself I am happy that this dog is so well taken care of and deeply loved not only by you but also by your parents.

Buttercup is also one cutie doggie. I have two like Buttercup in my country, and a toy poodle. Dogs do amazing things in our life, just like pet cats and birds etc. I can relate how you miss this guy. But rest assured that even in your absence he loves you very much and like you, is also equally happy to see you everytime you get home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to have one here, but since this is not really a pet tolerant place one day my Diego was found dead near a garbage bin. Not sure what happened to him, but I mourned his death. From then on I knew I cannot take in a dog in this country.
I'm so sorry to hear this Maria Bayote Maria Bayote . How awful. :(

Being a dog person myself I am happy that this dog is so well taken care of and deeply loved not only by you but also by your parents.
He definitely is--in fact he is spoiled rotten! ;) Sometimes people think I should've brought him here with me since I love him so much, but honestly I never even considered doing that. It would've been unnecessarily hard on him and I could never give him a happier, better life than he has at home with my parents. I could never provide him with the gigantic yard and running space he needs for one thing, and it would be terrible to separate him from Buttercup. I do miss him immensely, but it has gotten easier to handle over time since I know he is very happy. And he is bringing my parents so much joy now that they don't have kids at home. I just FaceTimed with them today so I could watch the dogs "unwrap" their Christmas presents. :)

Buttercup is also one cutie doggie.
Yes she is! I have a special relationship with Strider, but I love Buttercup just as much. She is a sassy, hilarious, wonderful girl and was the perfect childhood dog for me and my brother. She is still bursting with personality even though she's slowed down a bit in recent years. If Strider is my heart dog, she is definitely my mom's! Here are a few more pictures of her:

2017-05-30-PHOTO-00043506.jpg
11846594_10205524427522834_771141266352786663_n.jpg
13645195_10207909342464217_3347783409077557978_n.jpg
IMG_1394.JPG
IMG_1936.jpg
IMG_4521.jpg

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
6861B926-BB35-45F8-BD04-D276B6A50DCC.jpeg
I'm so sorry to hear this Maria Bayote Maria Bayote . How awful. :(

He definitely is--in fact he is spoiled rotten! ;) Sometimes people think I should've brought him here with me since I love him so much, but honestly I never even considered doing that. It would've been unnecessarily hard on him and I could never give him a happier, better life than he has at home with my parents. I could never provide him with the gigantic yard and running space he needs for one thing, and it would be terrible to separate him from Buttercup. I do miss him immensely, but it has gotten easier to handle over time since I know he is very happy. And he is bringing my parents so much joy now that they don't have kids at home. I just FaceTimed with them today so I could watch the dogs "unwrap" their Christmas presents. :)

Yes she is! I have a special relationship with Strider, but I love Buttercup just as much. She is a sassy, hilarious, wonderful girl and was the perfect childhood dog for me and my brother. She is still bursting with personality even though she's slowed down a bit in recent years. If Strider is my heart dog, she is definitely my mom's! Here are a few more pictures of her:

View attachment 268183 View attachment 268184 View attachment 268185 View attachment 268186 View attachment 268187 View attachment 268188
My goodness! How cute buttercup also is! We are lucky to have these beautiful animals with us.

Here’s wishing you a Merry Christmas from my 3 canine babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
View attachment 268190

My goodness! How cute buttercup also is! We are lucky to have these beautiful animals with us.

Here’s wishing you a Merry Christmas from my 3 canine babies.
Awwww, what cuties!! Merry Christmas to them and you!!

I have a hilarious Christmas photo somewhere from a few years ago of Strider and Buttercup as Santa and reindeer. I can’t find it right now but it is priceless. We put some toy antlers and reins on Strider, and put Buttercup in a red suit on a little wicker sleigh in front of the Christmas tree. :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He is truly a once-in-a-lifetime boy. :hearthrob:
This sentence really spoke to me. I remember watching an old show on Animal Planet where the vet said, "If you're truly lucky, you get that once in a lifetime special dog." I was also truly lucky and can relate to your heartwarming experience with Strider. He is simply stunning! :heartshape: Buttercup is precious and I'm glad to hear they are BFF's. Although it's difficult for you to be separated from them now how wonderful that you recognized what's best for them, i.e. your parent's comfy home with a large yard and lots of room to run to his heart's content. I'm sure he is enjoying retirement and your special visits. :redheartpump:

mkhtk79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great looking Saluki, never seen one in real life, only in photos but they are really elegant looking dogs.