Meet My New Cat

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the shelter today to spend some time and maybe donate time. They put me with cuddling cats. I fell in love - instantly. I'm not sure what his 'look a like' breed is, but I'm thinking maybe NFC. His paws are as big as Samai's.
All I know of his backstory is that his owner died and the shelter ended up with him. He's been there for over a month and just kept getting overlooked. He is skinny. I haven't weighed him, but somewhere around 5-7 lbs. He's 2.5 years old. He loves to cuddle and lay on your tummy purring. So far, he gets along with my Schnauzer and both Onsa and Samai have touched noses with him through the cage with no hissing or growling. Which I'm surprised Samai didn't want to kill him. He may not have to stay in the cage much longer at this rate.
His shelter name was 'Boy', but that is getting changed as soon as I find a decent name for him. I don't want a common name like 'Midnight' or 'Ebony', so I have some thinking to do.
IMG_0002.JPG
Unfortunately, he is hard to take a picture of, but I let him roam my room with my dog and this is the best I got.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm toying with the name Phantom. But I kind of like Cinder also.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've given up on Phantom - didn't really like it. Now I'm toying with Kumal. The more I say it, the more I like it.
This poor guy is bones. Whenever you pet him, all you can feel are his backbone and ribs. His face is not much different. He's eating the canned food, but won't touch the dry. Which is all they feed at the shelter (I think). Maybe with all that hair nobody noticed he wasn't eating... I don't know.
That will change, I'll do whatever it takes to get him fatter.
He and Onsa had a riff around 3:30 this morning, but then Onsa went in with my son and Samai came in with me and just stared at him through the cage. This morning, no one even noticed each other and I couldn't stand his screaming anymore, so I let him out. He's currently in the window and neither Samai nor Onsa are paying him anymore attention than they do the dogs. This also gave me a chance to clean his cage which he threw a temper tantrum in, spilling water, food and litter everywhere.
I know I shouldn't just throw them together, but no one is paying him any mind and all is quiet. They seem to be tolerating each other very well. If it keeps up like this, he may not go back into the cage.
I'm sure he'll be much prettier once he gets some weight on.
IMG_0010.JPG

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've given up on Phantom - didn't really like it. Now I'm toying with Kumal. The more I say it, the more I like it.
This poor guy is bones. Whenever you pet him, all you can feel are his backbone and ribs. His face is not much different. He's eating the canned food, but won't touch the dry. Which is all they feed at the shelter (I think). Maybe with all that hair nobody noticed he wasn't eating... I don't know.
That will change, I'll do whatever it takes to get him fatter.
He and Onsa had a riff around 3:30 this morning, but then Onsa went in with my son and Samai came in with me and just stared at him through the cage. This morning, no one even noticed each other and I couldn't stand his screaming anymore, so I let him out. He's currently in the window and neither Samai nor Onsa are paying him anymore attention than they do the dogs. This also gave me a chance to clean his cage which he threw a temper tantrum in, spilling water, food and litter everywhere.
I know I shouldn't just throw them together, but no one is paying him any mind and all is quiet. They seem to be tolerating each other very well. If it keeps up like this, he may not go back into the cage.
I'm sure he'll be much prettier once he gets some weight on.
View attachment 275519
It's honestly great that he likes wet. It's better for him any ways. Now that you're there to provide him with wet food he'll pack on some much needed pounds!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's honestly great that he likes wet. It's better for him any ways. Now that you're there to provide him with wet food he'll pack on some much needed pounds!
Funny thing. After I typed this I brought him in the other room to give him some more canned. He sniffed of the dry that I keep out for my other two (they also get canned, but I leave dry out for them to munch) and then he started chowing. The cat food that the shelter gave me to wean is the same they gave me when my kittens were just starting to eat. They wouldn't eat it either. I believe it's Wellness, but I'm not positive.
I just weighed him. He's 7 lbs. His paw is the size of Samai's which means it covers two and a half of my fingers, and he's only 7 lbs. (shaking my head)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, he's close to "drop dead gorgeous" now, and once he's been with you for a bit and reached his full potential, he's going to be a heart breaker!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the shelter today to spend some time and maybe donate time. They put me with cuddling cats. I fell in love - instantly. I'm not sure what his 'look a like' breed is, but I'm thinking maybe NFC. His paws are as big as Samai's.
All I know of his backstory is that his owner died and the shelter ended up with him. He's been there for over a month and just kept getting overlooked. He is skinny. I haven't weighed him, but somewhere around 5-7 lbs. He's 2.5 years old. He loves to cuddle and lay on your tummy purring. So far, he gets along with my Schnauzer and both Onsa and Samai have touched noses with him through the cage with no hissing or growling. Which I'm surprised Samai didn't want to kill him. He may not have to stay in the cage much longer at this rate.
His shelter name was 'Boy', but that is getting changed as soon as I find a decent name for him. I don't want a common name like 'Midnight' or 'Ebony', so I have some thinking to do.
View attachment 275459 Unfortunately, he is hard to take a picture of, but I let him roam my room with my dog and this is the best I got.
In this picture, your boy looks like a very trim version of my cat Arnold. I love that you adopted him from a shelter...lucky boy.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope Samai comes around soon. It breaks my heart to see her cower away from him and won't come in my room for cuddles. She did for awhile last night, but she just hides for the most part.
I would absolutely hate to have to give him back. But Samai is my one true love. I'll give her time, but I hope it's soon.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now it's not Samai. Both girls slept with me all night and cuddled.
Onsa on the other hand wants to kill this cat.
It's going to take time, I just don't want to start from scratch because that cage is not very big. And he has the lungs of a male Siamese (un-neutered). Unfortunately, there is no spare room to put him in.

I'd like to get more of his backstory, but the people at the shelter don't like giving information.
Did they not notice he wasn't eating? Or, was he so emaciated that this is an improvement?
I named him after one of the tigers in the movie 'The Brothers', but found out yesterday that 'Kamal" in Hindi means 'gentle'.
It suits him.

Last edited: