Meet-and-Pet-Bengal-kitties-at-Garden-State-Show-in-Somerset-NJ-July-20&21

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bengal-kitties-of-all-ages,from-kittens-on-up,will-be-at-the-Garden-State-Show,in-Somerset-NJ-on-July-21-&-22.

You-can-pet-them-and-talk-to-Bengal-breeders.There-will-also-be-a-slide-show,and-material-handed-out.This-is-for-exhibitors-and-spectators.

They-stressed,the-Bengals-will-be-in-an-enclosed-room,not-near-or-in-the-vision,of-the-kitties-being-shown.At-this-point-in-time,Bengal's-are-not-even-allowed-in-a-CFA-show-hall,but,can-be-shown-in-TICA.

I-am-requesting,this-not-turn-into-a-discussion,of-weather-or-not-Bengal's-should-be-allowed-to-show-in-CFA.There-is-a-big-enough-"discussion"-going-on,on-the-CFA-board.

I-only-put-this-up,so-that-people-who-would-like-to-see-Bengal's-in-person,pet-them,and-ask-questions,have-an-opprotunity.

Here-is-a-link-to-the-Garden-State-flyer.

http://www.catshows.us/gardenstate/

Brenda-is-very-nice,and-would-be-glad-to-help-you-with-any-questions.

This-was-posted-on-the-CFA-board-today.I-cannot-post-the-link,as-someone-who-is-not-a-member-of-the-CFA-board,would-not-have-access.We-are-allowed,to-cross-post.

BENGALS TO APPEAR AT GARDEN STATE CAT EXPO & SHOW

Ever touch or hold a Bengal or hear one purr?

Here is an opportunity to meet some Bengals " up close and personal" at our
Garden State Expo & Show at the Garden State Exhibit Center in Somerset, NJ,
July 20 and 21.

You will be able to pet them and ask questions of club members Bengal
breeders Bobbie Damiano and Pete Zabrowski of Tailspin cattery and of Pat
Killmaier of Aluren Bengals. Bengals present will be of varied ages from
kitten up. Most of us think of the standard copper color, but there also
will be a gorgeous SILVER kitten present.

Free door prizes will be awarded at the Bengal exhibit, and there will be a
digital slide show available plus various printouts and reading materials.

Our Bengal buddies will be in a private enclosed conference room not near or
in the vision of any other cats per CFA rules.

Please stop by and enjoy these sweet and playful magnificent felines!

-Brenda Flahault, Asst Show Manager
GSCC

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I think that is a great idea. I love all the exotic cat hybrids (Bengal Chausie, Safari and Savannah)! So, I am biased
. But, seriously, anything to show the public that exotic cat hybrids are great pets. My hope is simply: "no more ban laws"!!!!!!! Having worked with many states on trying to legalize foundation (F1-F4) hybrids, I have been told "if CFA took them, we would feel better about them being domesticated". Plus, I wish EVERYONE, would just meet a SBT Bengal, Savannah, or Chausie. Then, the general public would see they are sweet and harmless. Just VERY hyperactive, when compared to the average adult domestic cat

Thank you for posting this FlintMcCullough
!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, this is very close to our home.  While we are not considering a Bengal, let alone a third kitty lol, Maybe if we don't have plans those days maybe we'll take a drive.  I'd love to see them in person and I'm sure my BF would also.  

Thanks for the link Flint!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, this is very close to our home.

Lucky you, at least in my humble opinion
. I would love to go, not a surprise I know

While we are not considering a Bengal, let alone a third kitty lol, Maybe if we don't have plans those days maybe we'll take a drive.

Awe, I hope you do take the day trip and come back with lots of
and stories to share. Plus, I would love to hear, what someone else, thought of the exhibit.

I'd love to see them in person and I'm sure my BF would also.  

Yes, men seem to love hybrids. But, in my experience, it is the men who complain, when the same cat, they just "had to have" isn't like a regular domestic. Or, it might be, since, I do exotic and foundation hybrid cat rescue/keeping, the men are just the ones "blamed" when the owner surrenders the cat.

Thanks for the link Flint!

Indeed

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are VERY excited to go to the show!  I wasn't sure if he would be, but he's a real animal lover, and has had lots of cats in his life so he's totally into it.  

Luckily, he's not the kind of person to adopt a pet by his emotions.  In fact, it took months for us to figure out if getting a second kitty was the right thing to do for us and our first cat.  And he, wasn't the one pushing for it either, it was coming more from me.  Plus, as it is he thinks Cocoa, our younger one, is too energetic at times, and she's a domestic ROFL.  

Nah,  I have nothing to worry about.  He's the last person who would want a Bengal, or other hybrid cat in our home.  He values his peace and quiet too much to deal with a pet as "wild" as that!  

Plus, no room left for litter boxes :p  We're a two kitty household and you can quote me on that 
  But it is a great opportunity to see them up close as neither of us never have.  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You-bet!!

I-show-the-CFA-circuit,but-I-tried-a-few-TICA-shows,just-to-see-what-they-were-like.Bengals-are-allowed-in-TICA.

What-I-remember-the-most,is-how-pretty-they-were,just-striking.They-were-not-any-more-or-less-behaved-or-not-behaved,than-any-of-breed-kitties..Don't-remember-that-they-caused-any-commotion,at-any-show.The-only-thing-that-was-different,is-the-sound-they-make,kinda-hard-to-describe.Didn't-seem-to-bother-any-of-the-kitties.Its-just-another-show-hall,they-are-highly-trained,and-they-take-what-happens,in-stride.

I-was-benched-next-to-one,at-one-show,mine-had-never-seen-or-heard-one.Didn't-bother-them-at-all,just-took-it-in-stride.Its-just-another-show-hall,alot-of-noise-and-commotion,and-something-is-always-going-on-or-happening.

I-am-glad-they-are-doing-this.It-gives-people-who-would-like-to-see-them-in-person,pet-them-and-learn-more-about-them,a-good-opprotunity.

If-you-go-in-the-main-entrance,up-the-stairs,thru-the-glass-doors,you-will-be-walking-thru-the-domestic-kitties-up-for-adoption,there-are-alot-of-them.The-enclosed-conference-room,is-kinda-in-that-area,to-the-side.That-is-where-they-usually-have-the-meet-and-greet-breed-kitties.

Walk-thru-the-show-hall,its-HUGE,and-look-at-the-other-kitties-showing.They-always-have-kittens-for-sale,and-most,unless-they-are-getting-ready-for-a-ring,or-waiting-on-a-Final,are-very-glad-to-talk-to-you.Just-please-ask,before-you-touch-their-kitties,LOL.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh no!  I told my BF there wouldn't be any kitties for adoption or for sale!  

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL.

Well....your-safe,as-regards-the-breed-kittens-for-sale.Ain't-nobody-takin-them-home-that-day,unless-its-a-fellow-show-person.I-almost-took-home-a-black-Maine-Coon-kitten-from-a-show,lady-even-dropped-the-price-down-to-$800,let-me-play-with-him-and-carry-him-around-all-day.But-I-am-pretty-well-know-on-the-circuit.I-was-already-running-kittens,and-really-didn't-need-to-take-on-another-one.He-was-so-pretty-and-such-a-good-boy,I-regretted-not-taking-him-that-day.

As-far-as-the-rescue-kitties-for-adoption......that-is-a-hard-area-to-walk-thru,I-could-just-take-them-all-home.But-a-good-amount-of-them-get-adopted,its-a-really-big-show,450-count,and-draws-alot,alot-of-spectators.

When-you-walk-out-of-the-room,where-the-rescue-kitties-are-,on-your-right,is-where-the-bathrooms-are,lol,I-scope-those-out-first-thing,lol.

You-can-tell-him,there-are-a-ton,of-vendors,like-a-TON.

I-hope-you-can-go,its-a-really-nice-show.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL.

I agree

Well....your-safe,as-regards-the-breed-kittens-for-sale.Ain't-nobody-takin-them-home-that-day,unless-its-a-fellow-show-person.

I have never shown a cat. But, I was at a T.I.C.A show and almost came home with a SBT Bengal.

I-almost-took-home-a-black-Maine-Coon-kitten-from-a-show,lady-even-dropped-the-price-down-to-$800,let-me-play-with-him-and-carry-him-around-all-day.But-I-am-pretty-well-know-on-the-circuit.

Now, I am thinking the Bengal breeder, knew I do foster work? Does that sound reasonable? I mean, they knew my name and I am pretty sure I had not met them prior to that day

I-was-already-running-kittens,and-really-didn't-need-to-take-on-another-one.He-was-so-pretty-and-such-a-good-boy,I-regretted-not-taking-him-that-day.

Aww, hopefully, you can get another MC kitten
?

As-far-as-the-rescue-kitties-for-adoption......that-is-a-hard-area-to-walk-thru,

I completely agree

I-could-just-take-them-all-home.

I COMPLETELY understand

But-a-good-amount-of-them-get-adopted,its-a-really-big-show,450-count,and-draws-alot,alot-of-spectators.

Yay
!!! I really really wish, I could have gone

When-you-walk-out-of-the-room,where-the-rescue-kitties-are-,on-your-right,is-where-the-bathrooms-are,lol,I-scope-those-out-first-thing,lol.

, you have a very good sense of humor

You-can-tell-him,there-are-a-ton,of-vendors,like-a-TON.

Cool cool

I-hope-you-can-go,its-a-really-nice-show.

I hope everyone who can go, has a great time
. Please come back with lots and lots of picture's and stores
Oh no!  I told my BF there wouldn't be any kitties for adoption or for sale!  

I see a third cat in your future
We are VERY excited to go to the show!

Cool cool
. Please let us know, how it goes

I wasn't sure if he would be, but he's a real animal lover, and has had lots of cats in his life so he's totally into it.  

What a lovely boyfriend you have

Luckily, he's not the kind of person to adopt a pet by his emotions.

I wish more people where like that. Or, at least, did some research prior to getting the animal.

In fact, it took months for us to figure out if getting a second kitty was the right thing to do for us and our first cat.  And he, wasn't the one pushing for it either, it was coming more from me.

Again, you have a LOVELY man on your hands

Plus, as it is he thinks Cocoa, our younger one, is too energetic at times, and she's a domestic ROFL.  

Now, that is really cute
. Unless, your pure domestic is likes Gideon the Siamese (I forgot, who the owner is
) that is quite

Nah,  I have nothing to worry about.  He's the last person who would want a Bengal, or other hybrid cat in our home.

Clearly, he likes his home "human grade"
. While, my home is clean and does not smell, it was... well... very sparsely "populated" with anything
. Whatever could not be put away, was either Gorilla glued down or was encased in PVC or Lexan
.   Mind you, I have worked with F5 rescue Bengals, but not owned one. The reason for the extreme cat proofing was from owning: HP F1 Bengal, HP and CRAZY F3 Savannah and a pure male Leptailurus serval.

He values his peace and quiet too much to deal with a pet as "wild" as that!  

My exotic cat hybrids and pure exotics, where much tamer and sweeter then any pure domestic I have ever owned. But, you loose ALL your peace and quite!

Plus, no room left for litter boxes :p  

My F1 Bengal, taught herself to use the toilet. While it was nice and she never had accidents, whenever, I had guests unfamiliar with my "house rules", I had to remind everyone to leave the toilet seat up, please if a cat scratches at the door, she might need to use the bathroom too, so use the kitchen sink for your personal clean up after

We're a two kitty household and you can quote me on that 

I will

But it is a great opportunity to see them up close as neither of us never have.  

In all seriousness, I really hope you have a good time and I wish more people, would like to see the hybrids "up close".

Last edited:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snipped> I-show-the-CFA-circuit,but-I-tried-a-few-TICA-shows,just-to-see-what-they-were-like.Bengals-are-allowed-in-TICA.

That is cool, that you tried both "sides of the fence". Do you or anyone else, know why T.I.C.A. accepted all the true hybrids (Prionailurus bengalensis x domestic = Bengal, Felis chaus x domestic = Chausie/JC hybrid, Leptailurus serval x domestic = Savannah and Leopardus geoffroyi x domestic =Safari) and not CFA?

What-I-remember-the-most,is-how-pretty-they-were,just-striking.

Yes, the Bengal gets its striking pelt from the Prionailurus bengalensis.  Plus, the extremely soft pelt. That I have personally never felt in any purely domestic breed.

They-were-not-any-more-or-less-behaved-or-not-behaved,than-any-of-breed-kitties.

I just meant in the average persons home, a SBT Bengal is far more active then the average domestic. My F1 Bengal, was extremly well behaved but was still a handful, when compared to the average domestic. But, my F1 Bengal was like almost no other F1 Bengal. I can go into more detail, if you wish

.Don't-remember-that-they-caused-any-commotion,at-any-show.

I would assume, just like with any other breed, the ones shown, would have an excellent temperment.

The-only-thing-that-was-different,is-the-sound-they-make,kinda-hard-to-describe.

That comes from the Prionailurus bengalensis. My F1 Bengal made the WEIRDEST noises
. <snipped>

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I-know,exactly,why-TICA-will,and-CFA-won't,lol,but-that-needs-to-be-taken-to-a-paw-mail,as-I-don't-want-to-open-the-door..........

There-is-already-quite-the-heated-discussion-going-on,on-the-CFA-board,and-thats-why-I-requested,it-not-be-brought-into-my-post.

I-just-meant,the-average-joe-smith-spectator,is-not-going-to-walk-home-with-a-breed-kitty-from-a-show.These-breeders-will-screen-these-people,as-they-would-any-inquiry,about-their-kittens.There-are-pages-and-pages-and-pages,like-about-a-zillion,lol,to-the-application,and-references-are-very-carefully-checked.

Breeders/Show-People-do-their-very-best-to-make-sure-the-kitten-is-going-to-a-very-good-home.If-a-joe-smith-spectator,is-serious-about-a-kitten,they-will-be-required-to-give-a-deposit,at-the-show,and-its-non-refundable.That-means-the-kitten-is-put-on-hold,and-not-sold-to-anyone-else.Depending-on-where-the-show-is,and-where-the-person-lives,if-the-person-passes,per-say.The-kitten-is-sent-with-a-very-well-know-show-person,to-a-show,for-the-person-to-pick-up.Its-kinda-like-a-relay,its-done-all-the-time.Someone-will-say,the-kitty-is-leaving-with-so-and-so,after-the-show,to-be-taken-to-his-new-home.Or-someone-will-come-in-with-a-kitten,to-be-picked-up-at-that-show,by-his-new-parents.Depends-on-the-logists,it-really-does-run-very-smoothly.Full-payment-is-required,before-the-kitten-can-go.Mostly,the-money-is-sent-to-the-breeder/show-person,on-occassion,the-new-parents-will-bring-the-money-to-the-show,and-give-to-the-person-delivering-the-kitten.

Kittens-must-be-spayed/neutered,before-registration-papers-are-sent,and-ya-gotta-prove-it,and,they-check.

I-am-very-well-known-on-the-circuit,as-the-one-who-is-overly-pickey-about-my-cats,health-and-safety,so-when-I-went-looking-for-kittens,the-breeder-already-knew-me,I-picked-out-the-kittens,put-a-deposit-down,took-them-home-at-8-weeks.

You-got-to-take-that-kitty-home,because-they-knew-of-you,your-reputation-preceded-you,lol,you-weren't-a-joe-smith-spectator.

Show-kitties-are-highly-trained,they-just-didn't-show-up-at-the-show-with-them.The-majority,are-very-well-behaved,but-on-occasson,you-will-see-a-nasty-one,in-any-breed.There-is-always-that-one,that-just-does-not-take-to-showing.

I-have-been-asked-a-few-times-to-take-a-kitten-to-a-show,so-his-new-parents-can-pick-him-up.I-just-don't-want-the-responsibility,if-g-forbid,something-happens,I-travel-pretty-far-to-shows.One,his-new-parents,couldn't-come-to-the-show-until-Sun,that-meant,the-kitten-had-to-spend-the-night-in-my-hotel-room,with-my-kittens,not....a-goody-idea,in-my-opinion,don't-need-my-kittens-playing-too-rough-with-the-new-kitten-and-him-or-mine,getting-hurt-or-injured.These-are-pretty-valuable-and-expensive-kittens,lol.

Oh....people-food,as-you-go-out,the-room-with-the-rescue-kitties,its-on-the-right,along-the-far-wall,its-pretty-big,run-cafeteria-style,and-the-food-is-pretty-good.

If-you-need-to-go-outside,there-are-glass-doors,to-your-left,as-you-walk-thru-the-rescue-kitties.It-looks-like-a-little-park.Park-benches,trees,its-covered,and-actaully,the-whole-sidewalk-is-covered,and-leads-to-the-hotel.Its-for-exhibitors-and-spectators,all-are-welcome.Just-sit-and-hang,or-talk-to-the-people-around-you,most-are-very-friendly,unless-they-are-complaining-about-a-Final,lol,you-will-even-see-judges-out-there-they-are-happy-to-ans-your-questions.

I-hope-sivyaleah-takes-lots-of-pictures!!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of interesting info there Flint, thanks!

If we do go, and it's pretty much 100% likely, we'll take lots of pix.  Both of us are into photography.  As long as kitties, breeders and onlookers are cooperative, we'll be shooting away like crazy 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of interesting info there Flint, thanks!

Yes, Flint, is very very informative

If we do go, and it's pretty much 100% likely, we'll take lots of pix.

Yay
and
!

Both of us are into photography.

Cool Cool

As long as kitties, breeders and onlookers are cooperative, we'll be shooting away like crazy 

If my F1 Bengal, F3 Savannah and pure Leptailurus serval where anything to go by, it is like trying to photograph a bullet in motion
I-know,exactly,why-TICA-will,and-CFA-won't,lol,but-that-needs-to-be-taken-to-a-paw-mail,as-I-don't-want-to-open-the-door..........

Can we make that subject, it's own thread? I would love to hear your view and have a few other members, chime in of course

There-is-already-quite-the-heated-discussion-going-on,on-the-CFA-board,and-thats-why-I-requested,it-not-be-brought-into-my-post.

No problem, I did not mean to cause trouble. I was just curious, since, I have been asked by various law makers, why CFA did not take the true hybrids, and I could not answer, I figured you seemed like the right one to ask
. I hope you understand and are NOT offended.

I-just-meant,the-average-joe-smith-spectator,is-not-going-to-walk-home-with-a-breed-kitty-from-a-show.

I figured that

These-breeders-will-screen-these-people,as-they-would-any-inquiry,about-their-kittens.There-are-pages-and-pages-and-pages,like-about-a-zillion,lol,to-the-application,and-references-are-very-carefully-checked.

I wish the foundation cat (F1-F4) cat breeders did that. Grant you, the price tag for most of them, exuding the Felis chaus hybrids/Chausie/JC hybrid are INSANELY expensive. So, one would think, when dropping $3,000 plus on a cat, they would have done research. But, that clearly isn't the case at all. Hence, the need for rescues and people like me, that will take the "insane" cat.

Breeders/Show-People-do-their-very-best-to-make-sure-the-kitten-is-going-to-a-very-good-home.

See my above comment. But, with the purely domestic breeds, it definitely seems to be the case!

If-a-joe-smith-spectator,is-serious-about-a-kitten,they-will-be-required-to-give-a-deposit,at-the-show,and-its-non-refundable.

See, I have never agreed with that. If the breeder, wants to make the person jump threw a "million hoops" that is fine. But, it is NOT moral nor should it be legal, to take someones money, BEFORE, the breeder decides they are a "good home". Can you explain that to me? Now, if the buyer changes there mind, after the kitten is born or whatever, then the breeder better keep the money.

That-means-the-kitten-is-put-on-hold,and-not-sold-to-anyone-else

Yes, I got that part, I swear

.Depending-on-where-the-show-is,and-where-the-person-lives,if-the-person-passes,per-say.The-kitten-is-sent-with-a-very-well-know-show-person,to-a-show,for-the-person-to-pick-up.Its-kinda-like-a-relay,its-done-all-the-time.

Yes, when I had my F3 Savannah
Loki
, I ended getting him in such a manner. Someone payed money for him (a GOOD chunk of change, despite him being nonstandard color) and in two weeks decided "he was just way too much cat". I will be the first to say, he was way more work (minus the fact he did not spray) then my pure Leptailurus serval. But, the former owner complained he was way more work then her Himmi. I mean come on folks, the most "domesticated" breed, IMHO, V.S. a foundation hybrid cat

Someone-will-say,the-kitty-is-leaving-with-so-and-so,after-the-show,to-be-taken-to-his-new-home.Or-someone-will-come-in-with-a-kitten,to-be-picked-up-at-that-show,by-his-new-parents.Depends-on-the-logists,it-really-does-run-very-smoothly.Full-payment-is-required,before-the-kitten-can-go.Mostly,the-money-is-sent-to-the-breeder/show-person,on-occassion,the-new-parents-will-bring-the-money-to-the-show,and-give-to-the-person-delivering-the-kitten.

I see

Kittens-must-be-spayed/neutered,before-registration-papers-are-sent,and-ya-gotta-prove-it,and,they-check.

That is a good thing IMHO. With the foundation hybrids, the females are normally spayed before they leave the breeder. Though, again, excluding the Felis chaus hybrids, the buyer/owner does get "breeding rights" included in the price of F1 females. The males (F1-F4) are often castrated, not because of ability to breed (they are genetically sterile, but will still spray, if not castrated), but because sedation can be tricky with the foundation (F1-F4) hybrids.

I-am-very-well-known-on-the-circuit,as-the-one-who-is-overly-pickey-about-my-cats,health-and-safety,so-when-I-went-looking-for-kittens,the-breeder-already-knew-me,I-picked-out-the-kittens,put-a-deposit-down,took-them-home-at-8-weeks.

That is so nice

You-got-to-take-that-kitty-home,because-they-knew-of-you,your-reputation-preceded-you,lol,

, only with hybrid cat breeders. Plus, I am sure, my "reputation" is something like "she will take ANYTHING"
!   I can promise you, no one in CFA knows me. Almost no one in T.I.C.A. will either
. I have done Savannah Rama many times, when my pure Leptailurus serval was alive. Since, I could legally allow people to pet him, in that state and more importantly, he was a VERY easy going cat. So, was a pleasure to work with!

you-weren't-a-joe-smith-spectator.

Thanks hun, but other then Persians, my knowledge of the purely domestic breeds is "nonexistent".

Show-kitties-are-highly-trained,they-just-didn't-show-up-at-the-show-with-them.The-majority,are-very-well-behaved,but-on-occasson,you-will-see-a-nasty-one,in-any-breed.There-is-always-that-one,that-just-does-not-take-to-showing.

At Savannah Rama, one year, someone had a wonderful looking F2, to say he hated the show cage would be an understatement (he ended up being put on a harness/lead and was allowed to walk around) and seeing such an "angry" non-breeding foundation cat, was rather "off putting". My Serval, just looked at him and walked behind me. Nothing like seeing a cat, that is 24inches at the shoulder hide from one half his size

I-have-been-asked-a-few-times-to-take-a-kitten-to-a-show,so-his-new-parents-can-pick-him-up.I-just-don't-want-the-responsibility,if-g-forbid,something-happens,I-travel-pretty-far-to-shows.One,his-new-parents,couldn't-come-to-the-show-until-Sun,that-meant,the-kitten-had-to-spend-the-night-in-my-hotel-room,with-my-kittens,not....a-goody-idea,in-my-opinion,don't-

need-my-kittens-playing-too-rough-with-the-new-kitten-and-him-or-mine,getting-hurt-or-injured.

Yea, that is a liability, I can't see anyone wanting

These-are-pretty-valuable-and-expensive-kittens,lol.

Yea and who wan't to pay for someone elses animal
, Plus, in all seriousness, you do not want to harm any animal

I-hope-sivyaleah-takes-lots-of-pictures!!

Me too
!

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We-can-absolutly,start-a-new-thread-and-discuss-why-TICA-will,and-CFA-won't.Did-you-want-me-to-start-it,or-did-you-want-to?

I-did-not-take-offense-at-all,or-think-you-were-trying-to-start-trouble,lol,I-just-did-not-want-to-distract-from-my-post,what-they-are-trying-to-do,and-that-is-invite-people-to-come-see-the-Bengals,let-them-pet-them,and-ask-questions-about-them.I-feel,let-people-judge-for-theirselfs,when-they-see-the-kitties-in-person.

I-can't-make-Garden-State-this-season,its-pretty-far-for-me,just-to-much-other-crapola-going-on,lol.I-would-have-loved-to-pet-the-Bengals-and-ask-questions-of-the-breeders.But-if-this-goes-well,maybe-they-can-do-this-again,at-other-big-shows,in-other-areas-of-the-country.I-love-Garden-State,its-my-favorite-show-of-the-season,kinda-like-a-disneyland,for-kitty-people,lol.If-one-gets-the-chance,they-should-go.

As-far-as-deposits-on-kittens-at-the-shows.

This-is-actually-done-for-the-safety-of-the-kitten.

To-give-some-background-info.

Show-people/breeders-show-the-kittens-and-adults-to-achieve-a-championship/premiership.Championship-is-whole-kitties,Premiership-is-spayed/neutered-kitties,for-those-that-might-not-know-the-difference.When-the-kitty-has-achieved-that,the-whole-kitties-go-into-the-breeding-program,or-sold-to-another-exhibitor,for-their-breeding-program.They-could-also-be-spayed/neutered-and-go-into-premiership,depending,on-how-well-the-kitty-did,or-what-the-show-person/breeder-is-looking-to-do,zillion-factors-and-outcomes.

Premiership-kitties-are-either-kept-as-a-pet,or-sold-as-a-retired-show-cat,and-the-kitty-is-usually-ballpark,only-2-yrs-old,so-in-other-words,sold-as-a-pet.That-kitty-has-the-same-health-guarantees,is-already-spayed/neutered,had-all-his-shots,and-has-pretty-much-seen-it-all-and-done-it-all,but-at-a-very-reduced-price,as-oppossed-to-a-show-quality-kitten,price-wise.As-to-weather-the-kitty-can-be-shown,is-up-to-the-breeder/show-person-and-the-new-parents-to-discuss,most-go-to-their-new-homes,as-pets.

Again,the-new-parents-are-very-very-carefully-screened.

They-can't-keep-them-all,and-they-have-upcoming-kittens-to-be-born,and-shown-or-found-pet-quality-kittens.And-ya-figure,how-many-kittens-in-the-average-litter?

Most-do-just-1-litter-a-year,some-do-2,different-parents,or-at-least,different-mothers,depending-on-what-their-breeding-program-is.

So,that.......is-alot......of.......kitties,LOL.

Breeders-are-also-prepared,to-take-back-a-kitten-or-kitty,if-for-whatever-reason,it-doesn't-work-out,with-the-new-parents,its-even-stated-in-the-contract.

Thats-why-they-try-so-hard,to-find-a-very-good-fur-ever-home.Its-kinda-like-an-assembly-line,per-say,kittens-born,kittens-shown,homes-found.Now,if-all-these-prev-kittens-start-coming-back,now,it-gums-up-the-assembly-line,per-say.Now-they-have-all-these-kittens-and-kitties-to-feed-and-care-for,and-we-all-know,how-expensive-that-is.Much-easier-to-find-very-good-homes-from-the-start.

Which-brings-me-to-your-question.

If-show-people-let-joe-smith-spectator,take-home-a-breed-kitten-with-papers,from-a-show,paid-for-in-full,now-ya-run-the-risk-of-that-kitten-turning-into-a-not-so-responsible-part-of-a-breeding-program,resulting,in-not-so-responsible-people,selling-registered-kittens,that-end-up,who-knows-were,treated,who-knows-how,probably-ending-up-being-abandoned,or-turned-into-shelters,and-turning-into-the-a-very-lot-you-see-at-Garden-State,rescue-kitties.Thats-also-why,you-see-what-look-like-breed-kitties-at-shelter.They-are-breed-kitties,no-papers,and-thats-why-we-see-so-many-posts,what-breed-is-my-kitty?They-are-a-breed-kitty,with-no-papers,so-they-are-a-domestic-kitty.

Thats-why,registration-papers-are-withheld,until-there-is-proof,kitten-has-been-spayed/neutered.And-breeders-will-check.

As-to-the-deposit.

If-susie-wants-the-kitten,and-puts-down-a-deposit,that-kitten-is-put-on-hold,and-not-being-offered-for-sale-to-anyone-else-that-might-come-along.Here-comes-jenny,who-wants-the-same-kitten.jenny-is-told,that-kitten-is-no-longer-for-sale.jenny-is-also-told,a-deposit-has-been-put-down,and-will-be-put-on-a-waiting-list,if-jenny,still-wants-the-kitten.In-most-cases,jenny-goes-and-looks-at-other-kittens.If-susie-doesn't-pass,then-the-breeder-just-lost-a-sale.

Thats,why,deposits-are-non-refundable.

Now-suppose,susie-does-pass,but-changes-her-mind,breeder-just-lost-a-sale.Its-the-same-with-selling-anything.

If-joe-smith-spectator,puts-down-a-deposit,on-a-kitten-that-is-selling-for-ballpark-$1,000-$1,500,just-an-average-for-Maine-Coons,don't-know-the-prices-of-the-other-breeds,some-are-even-more,joe-smith-is-more-likely-to-be-serious-about-purchasing-that-kitten,especially-if-he-knows,its-non-refundable,and-he-has-to-pass-a-very-thorough-screening.Joe-smith-is-more-likely-to-take-good-care-of-the-kitten,and-not-dumping-him-out,or-returning-him-to-the-breeder.

Joe-smith-spectator-is-more-likely-to-really-want-the-kitten-and-take-good-care-of-him,spending-that-amount-of-money.It-eliminates-the-on-the-whim-buying.

Don't-believe-its-any-different-with-the-rescue-kitties,lol,don't-ya-gotta-put-down-a-deposit,and-get-very-carefully-screened?I-believe-the-rescue-organizations,will-take-back-a-kitty-too,that-for-what-ever-reason,doesn't-work-out.Much-easier-to-find-the-furever-home-the-first-time,to-make-room-for-another-rescue-kitty.

And...that-concludes....show-kitten-deposits-101.

LOL,LOL,LOL.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just to address the rescue aspect - yes, they do screen - or at least the good rescue organizations do.  We were given a very elaborate questionaire to fill out prior to them considering us.  Then, they spoke to us also.  They made suggestions to which cats they thought would be best suited for our family which was based on various factors such as how many cats we already had, financials, size of home, hours in and out of the home, were there children there or not, declaw and indoor/outdoor issues, etc. And I honestly think, that when they brought Cocoa to us for a meet and greet, that if they had seen a bad home situation (unclean for instance), they would have nixed the adoption for sure.  

They also made it very clear, that if for any reason she didn't work out, they were more than willing to take her back, and work with us to find another kitty, knowing that sometimes rescue cats can have special needs that they might not be fully aware of completely.  The first one we wanted, as Flint knows, turned out to be poorly socialized, so we backed of the adoption.  The woman we were working with was totally onboard with our decision; it doesn't benefit anyone to place an animal with a family if it clearly is the wrong fit.

Last edited:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We-can-absolutly,start-a-new-thread-and-discuss-why-TICA-will,and-CFA-won't.Did-you-want-me-to-start-it,or-did-you-want-to?

It is completely up to you hun
. I am just VERY HAPPY to get my question answered

I-did-not-take-offense-at-all,or-think-you-were-trying-to-start-trouble,lol,I

I am really really glad, since, people think I am trying to start trouble when I am genuinely not.

-just-did-not-want-to-distract-from-my-post,what-they-are-trying-to-do,and-that-is-invite-people-to-come-see-the-Bengals,let-them-pet-them,and-ask-questions-about-them.I-feel,let-people-judge-for-theirselfs,when-they-see-the-kitties-in-person.

I completely agree and understand. I wish more people, would think like you to be honest!

I-can't-make-Garden-State-this-season,its-pretty-far-for-me,just-to-much-other-crapola-going-on,lol.

Yea, same here. Since, I would have REALLY liked to go to that show/event

I-would-have-loved-to-pet-the-Bengals-and-ask-questions-of-the-breeders.

Me too
!

But-if-this-goes-well,maybe-they-can-do-this-again,at-other-big-shows,in-other-areas-of-the-country.

That would be great, at least in my humble opinion
. How does someone, a layperson such as myself, find out if, the event went "well"?

I-love-Garden-State,its-my-favorite-show-of-the-season,kinda-like-a-disneyland,for-kitty-people,lol.If-one-gets-the-chance,they-should-go.

Wow, if I had known that, I would have tried to go. I will prepare better for next year

As-far-as-deposits-on-kittens-at-the-shows.This-is-actually-done-for-the-safety-of-the-kitten.

I figured that, I swear

To-give-some-background-info.

Show-people/breeders-show-the-kittens-and-adults-to-achieve-a-championship/premiership.Championship-is-whole-kitties,Premiership-is-spayed/neutered-kitties,for-those-that-might-not-know-the-difference.When-the-kitty-has-achieved-that,the-whole-kitties-go-into-the-breeding-program,or-sold-to-another-exhibitor,for-their-breeding-program.They-could-also-be-spayed/neutered-and-go-into-premiership,depending,on-how-well-the-kitty-did,or-what-the-show-person/breeder-is-looking-to-do,zillion-factors-and-outcomes.

Premiership-kitties-are-either-kept-as-a-pet,or-sold-as-a-retired-show-cat,and-the-kitty-is-usually-ballpark,only-2-yrs-old,so-in-other-words,sold-as-a-pet.That-kitty-has-the-same-health-guarantees,is-already-spayed/neutered,had-all-his-shots,and-has-pretty-much-seen-it-all-and-done-it-all,but-at-a-very-reduced-price,as-oppossed-to-a-show-quality-kitten,price-wise.As-to-weather-the-kitty-can-be-shown,is-up-to-the-breeder/show-person-and-the-new-parents-to-discuss,most-go-to-their-new-homes,as-pets.

I see

Again,the-new-parents-are-very-very-carefully-screened.

Yes, from what I have seen, it is like adopting a human child

They-can't-keep-them-all,and-they-have-upcoming-kittens-to-be-born,and-shown-or-found-pet-quality-kittens.And-ya-figure,how-many-kittens-in-the-average-litter?

I got ya

Most-do-just-1-litter-a-year,some-do-2,different-parents,or-at-least,different-mothers,depending-on-what-their-breeding-program-is.

How is pyometra prevented, in the purely domestic breeds? Since, it seem to be "fairly common" in random breed domestics?

So,that.......is-alot......of.......kitties,LOL.

Yes indeed

Breeders-are-also-prepared,to-take-back-a-kitten-or-kitty,if-for-whatever-reason,it-doesn't-work-out,with-the-new-parents,its-even-stated-in-the-contract.

With the foundation (F1-F4) hybrids (Bengal Chausie, Safari and Savannah), it seems to state that the breeder will take the cat back or the breeder can re-home the cat.

Thats-why-they-try-so-hard,to-find-a-very-good-fur-ever-home.Its-kinda-like-an-assembly-line,per-say,kittens-born,kittens-shown,homes-found.Now,if-all-these-prev-kittens-start-coming-back,now,it-gums-up-the-assembly-line,per-say.Now-they-have-all-these-kittens-and-kitties-to-feed-and-care-for,and-we-all-know,how-expensive-that-is.Much-easier-to-find-very-good-homes-from-the-start.

I see

Which-brings-me-to-your-question.

Yes, I know, I have way too many questions, so thank you for answering them

If-show-people-let-joe-smith-spectator,take-home-a-breed-kitten-with-papers,from-a-show,paid-for-in-full,now-ya-run-the-risk-of-that-kitten-turning-into-a-not-so-responsible-part-of-a-breeding-program,resulting,in-not-so-responsible-people,selling-registered-kittens,that-end-up,who-knows-were,treated,who-knows-how,probably-ending-up-being-abandoned,or-turned-into-shelters,and-turning-into-the-a-very-lot-you-see-at-Garden-State,rescue-kitties.Thats-also-why,you-see-what-look-like-breed-kitties-at-shelter.They-are-breed-kitties,no-papers,and-thats-why-we-see-so-many-posts,what-breed-is-my-kitty?They-are-a-breed-kitty,with-no-papers,so-they-are-a-domestic-kitty.

I got ya and that all makes perfect sense

Thats-why,registration-papers-are-withheld,until-there-is-proof,kitten-has-been-spayed/neutered.And-breeders-will-check.

Again, that really makes perfect sense

As-to-the-deposit.

Ahh, the part that I find MOST interesting

If-susie-wants-the-kitten,and-puts-down-a-deposit,that-kitten-is-put-on-hold,and-not-being-offered-for-sale-to-anyone-else-that-might-come-along.Here-comes-jenny,who-wants-the-same-kitten.jenny-is-told,that-kitten-is-no-longer-for-sale.jenny-is-also-told,a-deposit-has-been-put-down,and-will-be-put-on-a-waiting-list,if-jenny,still-wants-the-kitten.In-most-cases,jenny-goes-and-looks-at-other-kittens.If-susie-doesn't-pass,then-the-breeder-just-lost-a-sale.

I swear, I understand the premise stated above
. What I am trying to ask, and in a NOT clear manner is this: What if the breeder just takes Susie's money and decides she is NOT a good home. Does the breeder have to give back Susie's money?

Thats,why,deposits-are-non-refundable.

I see

Now-suppose,susie-does-pass,but-changes-her-mind,breeder-just-lost-a-sale.Its-the-same-with-selling-anything.

This is true

If-joe-smith-spectator,puts-down-a-deposit,on-a-kitten-that-is-selling-for-ballpark-$1,000-$1,500,just-an-average-for-Maine-Coons,don't-know-the-prices-of-the-other-breeds,some-are-even-more,joe-smith-is-more-likely-to-be-serious-about-purchasing-that-kitten,especially-if-he-knows,its-non-refundable,and-he-has-to-pass-a-very-thorough-screening.Joe-smith-is-more-likely-to-take-good-care-of-the-kitten,and-not-dumping-him-out,or-returning-him-to-the-breeder.

That makes perfect sense

Joe-smith-spectator-is-more-likely-to-really-want-the-kitten-and-take-good-care-of-him,spending-that-amount-of-money.It-eliminates-the-on-the-whim-buying.

It seems that way! In my experience, with the foundation hybrids, not so much
. But, the people who can "plunk down" 3,000 plus (excluding the Felis chaus hybrids) for a kitten/cat, clearly have more money then... well.. at least myself
. I would also suspect the average domestic cat owner

Don't-believe-its-any-different-with-the-rescue-kitties,lol,don't-ya-gotta-put-down-a-deposit,and-get-very-carefully-screened?I-believe-the-rescue-organizations,will-take-back-a-kitty-too,that-for-what-ever-reason,doesn't-work-out.Much-easier-to-find-the-furever-home-the-first-time,to-make-room-for-another-rescue-kitty.

And...that-concludes....show-kitten-deposits-101.

Thank you for the tutoral, it was VERY informative

LOL,LOL,LOL.

Great work
!!!
To sivyaleah,

How was the show? Did you get any picture's? What did you think of the Bengal breed?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The show is in July :)

Saturday and Sunday the 20th and 21st.

You got me freaked for a moment then I remembered; "Hey, I just saw the woman from the rescue organization on Saturday, and she told she has a booth there on...Saturday"

So, that would have been quite a disappearing act she pulled since I sat and chatted with her for like 1/2 and hour or so lol.

One  more month to go!

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The-show-is-not-until-JULY,lol,this-is-only-June,LOL,LOL,LOL.

As-for-the-joe-smith-spectator,not-getting-his-deposit-back,if-he-doesn't-pass,that.....I-don't-know.I-suppose,each-breeder/show-person,handles-it-differently,but-they-would-tell-joe-smith-spectator,upfront,what-the-rules-are.I-would-still-tend-to-think,its-nonrefundable,as-that-kitten-was-put-on-hold,and-no-longer-offered-for-sale,so-a-potential-sale-lost.I-have-a-show-in-a-few-weeks,so-I-will-ask-some-of-the-breeders-what-they-do.

You-start-the-post,that-way,you-can-title-it,and-word-it-how-you-want.I-would-just-suggest,you-request-it-stay-to-a-discussion,and-not-turn-into-a-fistfight.

I-will-tell-you,why-TICA-does,and-CFA-won't,and-what-the-nay-sayers-issues-are.

The-nay-sayers,have-now-taken,a-"different"-approach,which,in-my-opinion,is-beyond.......stew-ped,and,I-will-tell-you-what-one-"officer"-told-them.

As-far-as-the-outcome,how-it-went,it-will-be-all-over-the-CFA-board,lol,and-people-will-be-talking-about-it-at-shows,which,they-already-are,lol.

When-they-approach-me,I-tell-them,mine-already-seen-them-at-TICA-shows,was-even-benched-next-to-one,had-not-one-issue,as-mine-are-taught-to-accept-any-situation.They-know,where-ever-they-are-put,mommy-keeps-them-safe,so-they-just-go-with-the-flow.Saved-one-kittens-life,at-one-show,when-a-judge-mistreated-him,he-just-went-with-the-flow-and-stayed-calm.He-was-fine-in-the-next-ring.Have-seen-too-many,go-the-other-way,and-could-never-be-shown-again.His-mommy-"took-care-of-it."

Maybe-you-could-start-your-post,with-explaining,what-the-different-"F's"-are,and-what-they-mean.I-know-I-don't-know.And-from-reading-some-of-the-posts,on-the-CFA-board,I-get-the-impression,some-others-don't-either.

Anyone-who-has-shown-horses,would-know,it-doesn't-matter-what-the-breed-is.......its-all-in-how-you-teach-and-train-them.One-could-be-in-a-ring,with-a-mare-in-heat,and-a-stallion,right-behind-them,that-stallion,is-a-purrfect-gentleman,its-how-you-teach-them.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The show is in July :).

So, I see
. I did mention, that I can be ditsy right
? If not, please take note, this is bound to happen again and possibly soon

Saturday and Sunday the 20th and 21st.

Now, I really really really really hope I can go
!!!!!

You got me freaked for a moment then I remembered; "Hey, I just saw the woman from the rescue organization on Saturday, and she told she has a booth there on...Saturday"

So, that would have been quite a disappearing act she pulled since I sat and chatted with her for like 1/2 and hour or so lol.

I am so so so so sorry, I did not mean to freak you out
!

One  more month to go!

Indeed
The-show-is-not-until-JULY,lol,this-is-only-June,LOL,LOL,LOL.

I told you all, I could be mega ditsy right
, if not, well......now you all know
. The good part is maybe, I can go now
!

As-for-the-joe-smith-spectator,not-getting-his-deposit-back,if-he-doesn't-pass,that.....I-don't-know.

Me either, but I have heard "horror stories" about such things. Again, I have no idea really, since all of my dealings where not with the purely domestic breeders.

I-suppose,each-breeder/show-person,handles-it-differently,but-they-would-tell-joe-smith-spectator,upfront,what-the-rules-are.I-would-still-tend-to-think,its-nonrefundable,as-that-kitten-was-put-on-hold,and-no-longer-offered-for-sale,so-a-potential-sale-lost.I-have-a-show-in-a-few-weeks,so-I-will-ask-some-of-the-breeders-what-they-do.

I see
. As long as, Joe the spectator is told upfront then I do not see anything wrong with it. But, like I said, I have heard evidence to the contrary

You-start-the-post,that-way,you-can-title-it,and-word-it-how-you-want.

Okay, how does this sound for the title "Why does CFA not take the true hybrids (Bengal, Chausie, Safari and Savannah) like T.I.C.A."?

I-would-just-suggest,you-request-it-stay-to-a-discussion,and-not-turn-into-a-fistfight.

Okay, will do
. I will make the post tomorrow, as long as, you think my title is coherent

I-will-tell-you,why-TICA-does,and-CFA-won't,and-what-the-nay-sayers-issues-are.

Yay, I am so excited I can't hardly wait
. I have waited years, yes years, for that answer

The-nay-sayers,have-now-taken,a-"different"-approach,which,in-my-opinion,is-beyond.......stew-ped,and,I-will-tell-you-what-one-"officer"-told-them.

With the current "hysteria" around pure exotics and the foundation hybrids, I am SURE the approach is beyond

As-far-as-the-outcome,how-it-went,it-will-be-all-over-the-CFA-board,lol,and-people-will-be-talking-about-it-at-shows,which,they-already-are,lol.

I guess, I need to join a CFA board, not like I am on a T.I.C.A. board

When-they-approach-me,I-tell-them,mine-already-seen-them-at-TICA-shows,was-even-benched-next-to-one,had-not-one-issue,as-mine-are-taught-to-accept-any-situation.

So, I have to ask: "what does the average domestic breeder, think of the true hybrids"? It sounds like, the "true hybrids" are very very scary dangerous cats
? Hyperactive and destructive via breaking household items, yes for sure. But, a well socialized hybrid, is far far tamer then most domestic cats, I have owned/worked with/fostered!

They-know,where-ever-they-are-put,mommy-keeps-them-safe,so-they-just-go-with-the-flow.Saved-one-kittens-life,at-one-show,when-a-judge-mistreated-him,he-just-went-with-the-flow-and-stayed-calm.He-was-fine-in-the-next-ring.Have-seen-too-many,go-the-other-way,and-could-never-be-shown-again.His-mommy-"took-care-of-it."

I saw, a T.I.C.A. judge try to "strong arm" a F3/F4 Chausie. Boy o boy, was that dumb

Maybe-you-could-start-your-post,with-explaining,what-the-different-"F's"-are,and-what-they-mean.

Okay, will do

I-know-I-don't-know.

I am so so so so so sorry, if I had know earlier, I would have explained

And-from-reading-some-of-the-posts,on-the-CFA-board,I-get-the-impression,some-others-don't-either.

I am sure they don't. I have gone to a few CFA shows and talked about my foundation (F series cats) cats, I got a lot of blank looks. I was even told it might be a DSH

Anyone-who-has-shown-horses,would-know,it-doesn't-matter-what-the-breed-is.......its-all-in-how-you-teach-and-train-them.One-could-be-in-a-ring,with-a-mare-in-heat,and-a-stallion,right-behind-them,that-stallion,is-a-purrfect-gentleman,its-how-you-teach-them.

Hey, that is like owning a hybrid cat. But, I am fairly sure they need to be castrated (spayed/neutered) first

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its-your-post,so-you-can-title-it,however-you-want-to,LOL.

Not-sure-if-all-those-words-will-fit,lol,but-I-would-make-it-more-creative......

Bengals...."Monsters"-to-CFA-but-"Just-Kitties"-to-TICA....Why?

Kittens-show-in-the-"Kitten"-Class,until-they-are-8-months-old,then,they-go-to-their-respective-adult-divisions.Once-they-hit-8-months,they-are-no-longer-eligable-to-show-"Kittens".Their-age/birthdate,as-of-the-date-of-the-show,is-the-division,they-go-in.

My-first-TICA-show,had-one-kitten,who-was-a-big-big-boy,his-father-was-about-as-big-as-a-pony,lol.On-the-dates-of-that-show,Fri,Sat,Sun,he-was-still-a-kitten.He-turned-8-months,on-Monday.So-I-got-a-kitten,that-already-towers-over-the-other-kittens,and-he-turns-8-months-on-Monday.One-judge-in-Ft-Worth,flat-out-called-me-a-liar,and-was-nasty-about-it.I-stood-up-and-said,don't-make-me-go-get-his-papers,and-I-will-be-calling-Jerry-Jones.

Kitten-made-the-Final,he-made-all-his-Finals,but.....he-missed-Best-Of-The-Best,by-1-point,guess-they-showed-me,lol,but-he-never-got-accused-of-not-being-a-kitten,the-rest-of-the-show.I-didn't-care-for-the-attitude,of-the-TICA-judges,the-TICA-exhibitors.

The-rest-of-this-discussion,needs-to-go-in-the-new-thread,lol,we-are-getting-boarderline.......

Hope-you-can-go-to-the-show,there-are-going-to-be-exhibitors-who-will-want-to-learn-more-about-the-Bengals,the-more-people-that-can-give-correct-information-about-them,the-better.