Meeko is in the hospital.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So happy that Meeko came home and is feeling better. I hope you both have a good flight with no stress!

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunnicat

So happy that Meeko came home and is feeling better. I hope you both have a good flight with no stress!

So glad everything turned out okay!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't checked in to update on Meeko in awhile - this week has been hectic. Well, my poor baby has been through a huge ordeal since I last posted. He continued to do well (no more throwing up) throughout the weekend, so we flew out to Alberta on Sunday night - he did really well on the flight, and seemed happy and perfectly fine after getting to my parents' place on Sunday night. Then, early Monday morning he woke me up scratching in the litterbox and yowling, squatting like he had to go, but not able to actually go - so we rushed him up to the only vet in my parents' small town (they live in a rural area outside of Edmonton) and they felt his bladder was the size of a baseball (way too big), and they weren't able to manualy express it, so they had to put him under anesthetic and catheterise him - after doing that, they found that he had only a mild blockage, so they think that the fact that he could not urinate was due to spasms in his bladder, and not so much an actual blockage - after doing a urinalysis, they found that he had a bad bladder infection, and lots of crystals in his urine, probably caused by diet, so they think that the combination of these two things, in addition to having to hold it while we travelled for seven hours, was what caused the spasms. Meeko had to stay at the animal hospital for several days, until Wednesday, and then on Wed. he finallly started urinating on his own again and was able to come home, which is a big relief. His diet has been changed, and he is on antibiotics for his bladder infection, and he seems to be doing much better. Well, that's the latest - we are hoping that we finally have everyting sorted out with him and that he won't have to go through any more hospitalisations (I'm a bit upset with my vet because this vet thinks that his vomiting was probably caused by his bladder infection and being partially blocked, and my vet never did a urinalysis to discover this).

carolcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update. I hope that he will be back to his old self soon. Thank goodness that the OTHER vet found out about the bladder infection. I don't blame you for being mad. I would be too. Glad to hear that he is on the get well trail now though, best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery. Hugs

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh...it hurt just to read about what you & sweet Meeko went through on your visit to your parents.
Thank God there was a good vet nearby. Do you intend to return to your old vet?
Poor baby Meeko. I hope that you feel all better now. Here is a big hug.

Lei