Meds?

pjalford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,

You probably realize I'm new here. I have a question for you...

My vet has me using Revolution flea/heartworm medication on Sukiey - my Calico. He charges $14 a pop for it.

Does anyone know of any reputable Internet sites with better pricing? Anyone done business with The Equine Mega-Store? A co-worker orders from them and says they're good.

I'd appreciate some feedback here.

Thanks,

PJ

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just be aware that the meds you order on-line may NOT be the same as what you get from your vet.

Interestingly enough there was a news item just a couple nights ago with interviews by our Better Business Bureau about buying meds at discounted prices (human specifically) on-line and that it's a pretty big scam these days. The meds were actually sugar pills (placebos).

Your vet buys directly from the company so you know the meds are good meds - on-line you never know what you are getting so buyer beware!

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always was scheptical about buying meds online. How do you know what you are getting?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, I believe with Revolution you need a prescription because it is not just flea prevention, but a wormer also

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Just be aware that the meds you order on-line may NOT be the same as what you get from your vet.
I agree, even if the vet charges a bit more at least you know what you are getting.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am leary of online... My vet told me she uses frontline( doesnt cary at the office and to go to a pet store and get it )...

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor only, so my current vet has never recommended any regular flea treatment. I did treat the kittens when I got them b/c they had fleas and worms. The other two got treated soon after I got them just as a preventative.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zak&rocky

My cats are indoor only, so my current vet has never recommended any regular flea treatment. I did treat the kittens when I got them b/c they had fleas and worms. The other two got treated soon after I got them just as a preventative.
If you live in an area where there are fleas and ticks, IMO you should still treat indoor kitties once per month with Advantage/Frontline/Revolution.

You or any of your guests can bring in fleas and ticks on their clothing from just walking through some grass. We treat ours from April until the colder weather in October.

We had a nasty flea infestation some years ago and I never want to go through that again. I actually had to get professional exterminators in to finally get rid of them. We had some hot, humid weather and our house and carpets were riddled with them. We took the cat to the vet for de-fleaing overnight and we left with our daughter for the day while they sprayed. We had to move all our furniture from against the walls - what a to-do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pjalford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. I'm undecided on what to do yet. I don't have to decide right away - mid-June is when Sukiey's next dose of Revolution is due.

Meow,

PJ

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard of problems with some discount med sites - many of them are located outside the US.

The two sites I mentioned, entirelypets.com and 1800petmeds.com are large US companies licensed in all states. The meds, flea treatments, etc., are all the exact same ones available from vets. I've compared packaging from meds I bought at the animal hospital to those ordered online and they are identical. More than that though, the proof is in the bloodwork, which my cat has fairly often. One of the meds she takes is Tumil-K, a potassium supplement. If the online meds were sugar pills, her electrolyte level on the bloodwork would reflect that. Her level is normal, as it should be with a potassium supplement.

The only difference with the meds from these companies is the price. Savings can be substantial. For example, Denosyl is available from my vet for $50. Entirelypets charges $18.95.

If a med requires a prescription, your vet can write one and it can be faxed to the company. I've done this for two meds for my cat. My vet, who is very conservative and cautious about meds had no misgivings doing this for the the two online sites I've mentioned.