Meds via capsules?

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, my doctor prescribed Tylan powder for my monster. We've tried just about everything else for his continual puddle poop to no avail.
As always, I taste tested it and oh my gosh, is that an awful med! Makes Prednisone taste yummy! He cannot eat any type of wet food including even baby food, tio mix it in.
So I was told to try capsules. I got the smallest ones, a size 4 from Capsuline. He's too get 1/16th of a tsp twice a day. Got the empty capsules, but they still seem very large for a thing little throat. Is there a simple way to get this down without my worry of it sticking in his throat?
He's prescribed this site to severe IBD. He's allergic to all gums in wet foods, all poultry and fish. So I can't use any of that. And he's not stupid enough for a pill pocket.
Thanks in advance for any ideas. Pic to show my baby in need.
20211109_225924~2.jpg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I also used to give my cat tylan 1/16 teaspoon in size 4 capsules. I was told it was the right amount. I give it to her by putting her on the counter,tilt her head back, dip it in a churu or tiki stick so it slides easily down,close her mouth and wait for her to swallow

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he can't eat chicken or fish,try soft cheese. May I ask why he cannot eat wet? Tylan didn't work for her so what has worked is the probiotic adored beast. There are many threads about it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aren't cats lactose intolerant? The cheese? And how does cheese help it go down easier?
As for the wet food, for a while, putting him on Instinct Rabbit limited ingredient dry helped him. But then they changed something in the recipe and I had to put him on Essence ranch & meadow.
But once he was doing well for about a month on the Instinct LI, I decided to try him on their wet version. He immediately had his IBD symptoms start again. I talked to Chewy and they suggested Evamger's rabbit. It had 3 ingredients: rabbit, water, & 1 of the gums in it. He got sick immediately after trying that too. So! It's the gums found in all wet cat foods that was also upsetting he and another gal of his. She is the same. No wet canned or pouches of wet cat food at all. The girl with the same problem also can't eatthe gums. There's 3. Guar, Xanthum, and another I think starts with a 'C'? She can eat baby food mixed with water, but if he eats it, he throws up with flecks of blood in

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Daisy has two capsules of 5mg of Cisapride every day. I don't have too much trouble giving them to her - the trick is to squeeze the sides of the mouth so the cat opens it, and then yes, poke it far enough toward the back of the throat that they can't spit it out. Easier with some cats than others (Phoebe is inclined to give me a slight crunch with her back teeth when I give her her pills).

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I took my cat to get her vaccine. I think the vet was actually disappointed that she was so easy to examine. I wish my other cats were that easy! Yes,cats are lactose intolerant but a pinch is ok. One of my cats does not like tuna but loves salmon. Churu comes in other fish she might be ok with. I have never experimented with that but should

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The size 4 capsules are not all that large for a kitty...
I use them all the time.

This is what I do: I use a pill gun, and use a 10 cc (ml) baby syringe with water, as a chaser, so it is easier to go down... not getting stuck in the throat.. Just give the water in the side of the mouth, slowly...

Tylan is a foul tasting medicine. You cannot even compound the taste out of it. It is gross.. I have had 2 kitties, both with IBD, who ran after taking the dose--- literally drooling it out of their mouths as they ran... I gave up on it.

Personally, if your kitty has a chicken allergy, I would not try any of the Churo treats, etc... You could try a it of sour cream.. or even cream cheese as a treat, for taking the dose. And to take away any of the bad taste, as in a reward.

Many of these food companies hide the chicken in what is labeled as rabbit or tuna, etc... You really have to read labels.

Many people, myself included, have had good lick with I think it is slippery elm bark, for emergency stop diarrhea protocol. you have to look it up at IBD Kitties.. sorry...

Wish you luck...

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The size 4 capsules are not all that large for a kitty...
I use them all the time.

This is what I do: I use a pill gun, and use a 10 cc (ml) baby syringe with water, as a chaser, so it is easier to go down... not getting stuck in the throat.. Just give the water in the side of the mouth, slowly...

Tylan is a foul tasting medicine. You cannot even compound the taste out of it. It is gross.. I have had 2 kitties, both with IBD, who ran after taking the dose--- literally drooling it out of their mouths as they ran... I gave up on it.

Personally, if your kitty has a chicken allergy, I would not try any of the Churo treats, etc... You could try a it of sour cream.. or even cream cheese as a treat, for taking the dose. And to take away any of the bad taste, as in a reward.

Many of these food companies hide the chicken in what is labeled as rabbit or tuna, etc... You really have to read labels.

Many people, myself included, have had good lick with I think it is slippery elm bark, for emergency stop diarrhea protocol. you have to look it up at IBD Kitties.. sorry...

Wish you luck...
I read somewhere in reviews that slippery elm shouldn't be given for more than 2mo. Do you believe that to be true? Cause I need to find something he can use for the rest of his life. Since I took him in he's struggled with diarrhea daily.
My vet said she had no faith in it, so I didn't bother trying. But I'd rather try an all natural treatment, so if you can give long term, I'm willing to try.
Do you know if it tastes bad? I saw an Animals Essentials slippery elm bark liquid that had me interested. It sure would be nice to just add it to his food instead of forcing it on him daily. My poor, old guy. He's been through a lot.
Thanks!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Slippery elm bark my cat did not like but is in adored beast feline gut sooth and she likes it. Don't know about the longevity

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I ordered the slippery elm. If I get no results from that I'll try the Adored Beast. It really sucks. After 8yrs both he and another are finally good with this Instinct LI Rabbit kibble. But at the exact same time, booth immediately started with their puddle poop again. I changed them to Essence Ranch & Meadow and it fixed it for the 1. But my little man is still daily problems.:( He's tried so many things. I guess if neither this is the Adored Beast don't improve him, it's on to the nasty powder in a capsule.
I just don't want him to run from me every time he sees me if I have to pill him twice a day.:( Thanks everyone for the advice! Here's to hoping for success.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So! He's been on the Slippery Elm Colon Rescue for a good 5 days with no reprieve on the bum end.:(
However! At least it made him stop throwing up. He used to get sick at least every other morning. Just liquid always and it was somewhere between 4-7am.:/ He hasn't done that since on this. But I'm more worried about the liquid stool. So! As a last ditch effort before having to shove those capsules down his throat twice a day, I ordered what you suggested. The Adored Beast gut sooth powder.
At this point I doubt it could hurt. So why not give it a go. Does yours like the taste? I have to put it over kibble because he cannot even eat baby food. Any wet food makes him sick.
And I saw it had slippery elm in it so hopefully I could just give this powder if it helps.
Thanks Maggie!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
How long did the Adored Beast take before your baby started responding to it?
[/QUOTE
I immediately noticed a difference that she was more active and firmer poo. But she still occasionally has loose stools. She was taking just 1/2 5ml tablet now 5 ml. I think the love bug is better though it still happens. I am still trying to figure out the right method for her. I was hoping I could use it instead of prrednisolone. I wish I had kept some of the Tynan to use when needed. I was going to ask my regulr vet if it can be used on hand not every 48 hrs

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought the powder of the Soothe Gut and it says to five 1/4tsp once daily. Not a single change in him unfortunately. This sucks. I've got the Tylan powder she gave me for him. But that's going to be a horrible struggle with him twice a day to pill him, you the point he'll start hiding full time. I don't want that for YET another 'miracle cure'.:(
I guess I'll ask her about the super expensive tests. Fun!😭

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also advita probiotic and proviable dc. Unfortunately you can't buy a single pack. I will try advita if this doesn't work

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is also advita probiotic and proviable dc. Unfortunately you can't buy a single pack. I will try advita if this doesn't work
I've already tried this super expensive probiotic called Visbiome. After trying S. Boulardi the previous year. I don't think that's going to do it. But I'll give it another week if you think it's worth a try. In just thinking this was his last try before the testing further.
But I suppose it's time to stop guessing and just treating the symptoms and instead try to figure out what else could be going on with the poor guy.
Thanks#

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish adore wasn't so expensive so you could try different ones. I didn't realize or forgot that it is supposed to be refridgerated