meds tricks for world's finickiest cat

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my 13 yr old has to take Clavamox for 10 days for an anal sac infection, and the first night he took the chewable just fine, but today I'm guessing he's just no longer interested in the taste

any tricks? I think the point I'm at is to crush it up and put into wet food, but then I always worry he's not going to ingest the full dose unless he eats every little bit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a chewable pill? Try these tips:
supposedly chewable, its a big pill, 1/2 inch square, looks like a giant crunchie

thanks for the links, I was just able to crush it up and put it into some wet food...so it worked the first time, we'll see how it goes the other 9 days

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also try crushing it up into canned tuna or chicken water - just enough to entice him to lap up all of it. That way, you know he ate the entire dose. Then, as a treat afterward, give him a piece of the tuna or chicken. I have used that method with Feeby before. And, now with her daily arthritis supplement, I crush it up and mix it with some baby food meat (Gerber stage 2, no onions/garlice/etc.) - never anything left on the plate!

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Try the suggestion posted. Under the circumstances it is possible to give enough of the meds to be successful with the treatment. I had to do this for years with a cat who needed felimazole and it was completely effective. She like BFF pouch fish flavors.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's fine to break up the pill into smaller pieces and then use one of the tricks suggested. Just be sure your cat eats all of it :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's fine to break up the pill into smaller pieces and then use one of the tricks suggested. Just be sure your cat eats all of it :)
what if he ate 80% of it? not a good start to the antibiotics prescription run
the thing is so huge, 250mg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try to get the rest of the pill into the cat somehow within an hour of dosing. If you use Pill Pocket or something similar, it's easy to be sure the cat is getting all of the pill even if you have to use a few pieces of the dough to hide all the broken up pill pieces in. If you mix the entire crushed pill with food, use just enough food to mask any taste and texture, add yummy toppers if needed, and be sure the cat eats all of it. You may want to give the pill at meal time so you know the cat will be hungry enough to eat whatever food you set out. Once the cat eats the mixture or Pill Pocket with the hidden pill, give the normal meal.