Medicine For Fussy Cats

INeedUrgetAdvice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 cats and all of them are going to require a medicine that has to be injected directly into their mouth. Two of my cats are easy to get, but the other 2 are a nightmare to get medicine in. They fight us till the death we try to do anything to them. Luckily every medicine up until this point could directly be put into food. What sort of things do you guys do to get your fussy cats to take injected medicine? What do you recommend?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Find a pharmacy that will compound it,make it flavored thou ask your vet, some medicines cannot be compounded

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just curious what kind of meds are they getting that can only be given directly into their mouths? I gather you mean given by oral syringe, not actually 'injected'. A lot of times, meds that are supposed to be given without food (which is what I assume is going on with your meds) can still be administered with a small amount of a lickable treat, or mixed with a bit of 'juice' from canned tuna in water, just to make it easier to get the cat to take it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 4 cats and all of them are going to require a medicine that has to be injected directly into their mouth.

You mean squirt into the mouth, not inject. Inject means inserting a needle (that is attached to a syringe) through the skin to directly deposit the medicine into the body.

What medicine will the cats be taking? Some medicines are nasty tasting as a liquid and there's just no way to mask it well. Flagyl (Metronidazol) is one. Ask the vet if the medicine is available in a pill form. Pills can be hidden in a Pill Pocket or other method:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Compounding the medicine may be an option. Ask the vet. Compounding can be expensive so may not be worth the expense if the medicine will only be given for a short period of time.