Medicine Dosage

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet gave us some clindamycin drops for my cats swollen gums, have to take her in next week for dental work. But the prescription is for 1ml every 12 hours. Is it ok to do one 2ml dose every 24 hours instead?

She is our fighter and it takes two of us to do it, but were only together at night time.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt it. But this is a question best left for the vet. I would think double the dose would be very upsetting to the stomach. If she is tough to handle then a Convenia injection is probably the best thing. It's what I opt for for my cats. One injection lasts 2 weeks. It's effective for mouth issues. I assume the vet wants to clear up infection prior to the dental.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet prescribed 1 ml every 12 hours based on yoru cat's weight. 2 ml might be too much medicine even if given every 24 hours, maybe even an OD. Please call your vet and ask if the dosage and frequency can be changed.

There are concerns about adverse reactions with Convenia. The effects of the medicine lasts 2 weeks or so but the medicine itself lasts in the body for up to a 2 months and may cause reactions in some cats. You can discuss the pros and cons of using this injectable antibiotic with the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah they said it has to be 1ml every12 hours. Luckily last night i may have found a way that works. Get down on my knees with her back legs between mine. She seemed to be ok with it. I have to squirt it quick though. Are there any negatives to forcing medicine like this?

Is that why they dont automatically give the antibiotic injection to make sure they dont have a reaction?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah they said it has to be 1ml every12 hours. Luckily last night i may have found a way that works. Get down on my knees with her back legs between mine. She seemed to be ok with it. I have to squirt it quick though. Are there any negatives to forcing medicine like this?
That's what I do: kneel on the floor with the cat tucked between my legs. Kneeling with your back against a door or wall helps keep the cat from squirming backwards to escape. 1 ml isn't much but with some really nasty tasting medicines you have to squirt little amounts into the cat's mouth and let the cat swallow and get a few seconds break because otherwise all the medicine will be spit out.

Some vets will give injectable antibiotics instead of liquid or pill medicine. I guess it depends on what the antibiotic will work best for the cat. Some owners just won't give liquids or pills so the vet will give an injectable.

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what I do: kneel on the floor with the cat tucked between my legs. Kneeling with your back against a door or wall helps keep the cat from squirming backwards to escape. 1 ml isn't much but with some really nasty tasting medicines you have to squirt little amounts into the cat's mouth and let the cat swallow and get a few seconds break because otherwise all the medicine will be spit out.

Some vets will give injectable antibiotics instead of liquid or pill medicine. I guess it depends on what the antibiotic will work best for the cat. Some owners just won't give liquids or pills so the vet will give an injectable.
I just feel so bad giving it to her. Shes our sensitive and independent cat, so I feel like Im traumatizing her when doing it.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just know that Convenia is out there for future reference I have had more than 12 cats over the years that have gotten this injection with no problems or complications. It's especially good for dental problems. I was told by a Vet not to take the liquid or pill antibiotics unless I know I can get the full dose in them for everyday its prescribed otherwise the infection will come back and can lead in the long run to resistance.

tewing84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I took her back to the vet to get her dental work done, but she was a little sneezy and wheezy...must be getting a cold. They said we would have to hold off since she's sick fighting something off right now, and I convinced them to give her a shot instead of sending us home with more meds.

It was two days ago and she is still pretty congested. I can hear how congested she is and every time she tries to eat she starts coughing or struggling to. She's still eating but just a little bit. I've been keeping the humidifier on her to help, but it there any thing else I can give her, or attempt to? (Over the counter)