Medication and foaming

nutterbutter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You know, Fern, I was just thinking this morning about getting an infant shirt. I did try a little dog shirt, but that didn't work either. The material needs to be kind of stretchy. My sister made an outfit with a draw string at both ends. It stayed on for awhile, but like everything else it slipped off eventually. Poor Harriet looked like a sausage in it. Thanks for reminding me about the onesies. Off to Wal-Mart, again.
NutterButter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FeralWhisperer

When I go on vacation I put out extra litter boxes. I like Cat Prideâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s disposable litter tray. You can make disposable trays by stapling plastic to box bottoms.
http://www.brandnametools.biz/lawn_a...r/_1295584.htm
I have three litter boxes for the two cats. Times 14 days, that would be 42 disposable litter boxes to have available. And the Cat's Pride ones have scented litter, which is what I was trying to get away from. I'd have to make my own, but no way am I making 42 disposable litter boxes.
Good idea if I was just going to be gone a couple of days, though.

Originally Posted by FeralWhisperer

I have Psoriasis and know how uncomfortable skin problems are. When my Bubba start to show skin sensitivities I researched for the best cat food with high quality ingredients. Natural Balance has flax seed oil which is great for the skin.
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/catfood.html
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/VenCat.html
That looks very promising, and I see there is one place within 26 miles of home which stocks their products. I like the looks of the venison-pea one for allergies, and will definitely look into that when I get back from my trip. Sounds as though it might not yet be available, though. I do give Red Cat some type of oil by syringe daily or every other day, which I got from the vet. It has really helped Red Cat's coat, which was getting so dried out from all the over-grooming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

Have you tried rubbing a light infusion of tea tree oil on his belly, or adding it to his cat shampoo? I know this is odd, however, I must say that the whatever it is in Tea Tree Oil has a soothing, cooling sensation to the skin
Are you sure tea tree oil is safe? I thought I read in a post here not too long ago that it was not safe for cats. Because of his repeated licking, he is going to be ingesting it.

I do occasionally use a product I got from my vet. It is called Calendula Off, I believe. I don't use it every day, though, as Red Cat does NOT like his belly touched and I know I risk getting scratched every time I do it, as well as causing him a great deal of anxiety.

wallee bear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried Prozac, my kitty has FHS and it works for him with the excessive grooming

Lyndley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so what about foaming w/ a liquid medication? It was horrifying I though I poisoned my cat.

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet says that foaming is the way cats get a bad taste out of their mouth. I have seen it when giving Speedy Plavix (one of the most notoriously bad tasting pills that cats refuse) and Entyce.

Have you tried coating the pill with butter? Some people have luck with that, cats like butter and the pill slides down pretty easily. I have also used gel caps, I got some empty capsules at the pharmacy. You open it up, put the pill in, and put the cap back together. So smell, no taste, but it is a bit large so I used butter on that too.

Also I had good luck with treats. Speedy gets treats before and after pills, and wet food after pills. That is how I trained her to associate meds with good things. Nowadays her behavior is much better, she loves taking medicine and no more butter or gelcaps, we just use Greenies pill pockets. Speedy even reminds me if I am late with the dosage.