med. hair kitten with poo entangled in fur....HELP!!!

sober_drunkenes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we recently switched to EVO and our two kittens are doing great....except Jack who I recently discovered a clump of poo entangled in his fur. I can't get it out and he won't let me cut (I'm thinking its so entangled that it pulls the fur when anything touches it) yet groomers are charging $30+ for a cat groom. Since I have to pay for everything myself (I'm 17 by the way and still looking for a job that I can actually get to) I kinda can't have that done right now due to me paying for their neuter. Please...suggestions would be really nice. He isn't cleaning his anal area at all.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure how old the kitten is, but my 7 mo. old Riley has that problem sometimes because his fur is extremely long in that area. When it happens I use wipes to clean him, or if its too much for that, I stick his backside under the tub faucet and wash it

Once you get him cleaned up and dry, you might try (carefully) trimming the hair shorter in that area to prevent further problems until he gets better at grooming himself.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he has poop on him, he's not going to want to put his tongue near that area! Just have someone hold him and carefully snip around until you can cut it off.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my furkids have medium length fur and, yep, I have to keep their booty fur short, or suffer the consequences.

It's hard to hold a squirming kitty with one hand while trying to wield a pair of scissors with the other, so definitely get someone else to help you.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sober_drunkenes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He screams when I do it. I cant even poke a small blade under a strand of fur to cut it

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mitties' bum got so crusty and stinky that it caused a UTI (or may have helped to contribute to it). When I took her to the vet to get some antibiotics, I had them shave her "undercarriage." It's bald now, but so much easier to keep clean! If you're not looking for a professional job, a vet's office can shave their bums for a lot cheaper than a groomer. I'd call and ask.