"Meatloaf"

Tekknowgerl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the warm welcome. I have a question but I don't know where to post it. My neighbor got seriously ill and has been in the hospital for 2 weeks or so and abandoned his cat ("Meatloaf") . One other neighbor decided to take him but only for a short time. Long story short (too late, haha!). Now I have Meatloaf and he's been under my bed since he's gotten here. I have a single/bachelor apt (only separate room is the bathroom). I've left him alone, provided him water & food, placed his little bed near the bed he's under along with his litter box. How long is it going to take before he eats/drinks or uses his litter box? I know he's been through a lot, so I don't want to rush him. I definitely want to keep him, however I DO NOT know how long it should be before I seek a professional's help in case Meatloaf is sick or something.

Where do I post these questions?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It may take a day,week, or month. He will eventually start eating. Talk quietly to him. It took my cat Coco 3 months to move from under the couch then bedroom for a year. She had a tough life before I rescued her. Being in an apt with one cat, not 3 like me, will make it much easier for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tekknowgerl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you maggie101! I didn't expect an answer so quickly. I barely know anything about him besides his name and I want to be able to take him to the vet in case he needs to be spayed/neutered and get him cleaned up (he's got long hair, I think it's white). My biggest concern is the water consumption and the "pooping", how long can he go without either?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, thank you so much for fostering him & taking it upon yourself to find him a safe long term harbor!!!!!

Provided he is staying hydrated he can go without food for a week. So my advice? Learn how to do the pinch test (check you tube for how you pinch a cat’s scruff to check for dehydration.) I would feed meatball fancyfeast chicken broth (it comes in single serve pouches). I would also ask the neighbor to show you what brands of food she fed him so you can transition him slowly to whatever you want.

Is there anyway you can get the owners number or address? A ‘hey I have your cat & he is very stressed!’ Letter might help you get in touch ...... then again I was in the hospital for 3 days and I did not relax until my mom sent me a picture of my baby! (& I asked her for it on day one & asked for daily updates.) Has meatloaf been abandoned? I would take pictures of him in his current state. Hopefully it was just the neighbor neglecting him!

Can you brush meatloaf with a brush or comb? Can you carefully cut out the mats? In your shoes I would take him to the groomer, have him flea shampooed & shaved to 1/2 inch long. (unless you are used to caring for long haired cats.... in which case a groomer shaving his but hair (it is a big help) & removing mats will help a great deal! For my mom’s fluffy baby the right brush makes a huge difference. If you do not have a pin cat (or human) brush a wide tooth comb will work in a pinch.

Is it possible you can adopt him if he gets along with your cat? Studio apartments are small but provided you got a bird watching windows, lots of cat shelves and a tall cat tree or two, 2 cats could live happily in that (with harness walks if need be.)

If adoption is not possible please find him a rescue within a week or two. A regular bathroom is like a jail cell to a cat, so I’m guessing a your studio bathroom is extra tiny!!!

If you show us his picture we can try to see if he is a breed or breed mix (because there are lots of breed specific rescues.) If you give us your County and state we can help try to find you rescue originations in your area. Or you can google it. Honestly your best bet may be to take Meatball straight to your vet and ask for help. When people help out animals the vets usually want to help them. The vet May give you a discounted exam or neuter him at the discount rate (or give him a free trim.) Plus the vet can tell you if he is OK, etc. if you don’t have a vet, then I would suggest calling your local vet offices.

Please I’m begging you, do NOT give him to an animal shelter unless it is a no kill shelter!!! Because he is not a cute little baby kitten his chances of being adopted (not being killed) is slim to none!!!

Tekknowgerl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! What a great response! Apparently, Meatloaf's owner has been evicted from our building. The management company & VA (owner) do not have any follow-up information on him. They just found Meatloaf in the apartment once the guy left. So they assume the cat was abandoned. I don't plan on taking him to a shelter at all! He's the only cat here, so he's got the run of the place whenever he wants to take charge!

I'll try and get a pic of him once he comes from under the bed....he's way under there, at the very head of the bed, lol, I can only see his beautiful eyes when I use my flashlight!

I don't have him in the bathroom but he's got full access! everything I mentioned is right within his reach. Earlier tonight, I saw his big fluffy tail moving about near the side of the bed, so he's moving around under there 😊.

Thanks again for your help and if you think of anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know. Wish me luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would leave hard food out and monitor it to see if it has been eaten. Put canned food out once it gets dark. the same with the water, mark the waterline with a marker. He's very traumatized, the poor little boy, it will take a week at least for him to get more comfortable. It WILL happen, it just takes time. I have had them under the bed for a month. Just have everything near the bed right now, litterbox, etc. Like said above since there are no other cats around he should not take that long. Most cats in situations like this only come out at night. Bless you, for opening your heart to him, earning a cat's love is one of life's greatest treasures!

Tekknowgerl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks di and bob! You were absolutely correct about coming out at night...he crept around me the LONG way, hoovering very low, then darted back in when I spoke to him. He is also quite verbal right now too. He's trying to tell me something....*smile*. But as you said, all of his needs are very close to the bed. I heard some crunching, so I know he's eating.😊 I will do as you say and mark the water dish. Thanks for your advice👍

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep talking to him so he gets used to your voice. sit on the floor and encourage him to come near. Let him come to you. He is meowing because he is SO confused and scared right now and needs comforting. the fact that he is letting you see him this soon is very encouraging! PS as long as he is eating, drinking, and using the litterbox, I would not traumatize him further by bringing him to the vet, that can come later as long as he seems OK!

Tekknowgerl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Absolutely right! No Vet just yet...he doesnt seem sick to me just frightened and unsure (he has been in 3 homes in less than 2 weeks, after being alone for 2 weeks)....he's in the window now, just meowing away....we are having a conversation....LOL @3:49am! Fantastic advice. Blessings!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow great progress!!!!!! If he is eating & drinking then yeah let him be. Also shame on whoever abandoned him!!!

First scared cats need routine (all cats love routine.) For example: you wake up, feed him, get dressed, eat breakfast,leave. It doesn’t need to be an exact time as much as a predictable pattern. It will help him feel more safe & secure knowing what you will do next.

For scared cats a box on it’s side with a towel/blanket/shirt drjojkç ncçaped over 3/4 of the entrance gives them a safe cave to hide in. (I would give them a soft folded blanket or towel as a bed in their box.) Place the cave box a few feet from your bed so he can branch out.

You can try laying on the floor and reading stuff from your phone out loud for 20-60 minutes. A wand toy might get you a paw out of the bed.... or even near the edge of a bed.

He is crying because he wants this new weird human trapped in this place with him to fix his prop (a sign he is a pet. Feral cats don’t meow at humans.) He might be meowing for his old human but probsnly is meowing because he wants out. My advice? Say his name and talk to him. Some cats are just talkers. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Responding back/calling him gets Jackie to quit yowling in the shower after a couple minutes (instead of meowing very loud in the shower for 30 minutes!) Sometimes they just meow for attention.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to lay on the bed or sit in a chair in the room with him? Try reading him a book or even humming a favorite song. All things to get him used to your voice. Try leaving some dirty laundry in the room to get him used to your smell.

Tekknowgerl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a smart idea....lord knows I have plenty of that! Thanks! Still don't know what kinda cat he is, but everyon's been great helping me out. Here are a few more pics I was able to get. I played a YT video of cats meowing and he just walked right out and sat there!!
IMG_20200312_134337 (2).jpg IMG_20200312_134256 (2).jpg

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
He most likely is a moggie. Not a specific breed. Hopefully once he opens up to you you can get him used to being brushed. White and long hair can sometimes be hard to keep cleaned.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are very kind to have taken Meatloaf in and to care for him. He is a lucky cat that someone did this for him. I agree with all the other posts...he will come around once he begins to understand what has happened and where he lives now.