Mean Sounding Meow

Angela0005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took in a stray cat because it was getting so cold out and was afraid it would freeze. He is maybe 6 months everything was fine for a week or two he is very laid back but seems not to kniw how to play. We made a vet appointment which is coming up . yesterday he started this mean sounding growl and randomly does it if he is sitting on my lap laying alone or just walking around. He seems to be dking it more and more it kinda sounds like the noise they make before they hiss. He has been eating drinking and going in its litter box fine. Does anyone know why ? Should i call vet and get him in quicker? Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Angela0005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No not at all and no he isnt nuetured yet ...he was just laying on love seat by himself making the noise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can you get a video of him when he's doing that and show the vet? As long as he's not being aggressive I think you're ok waiting til your already scheduled appointment.

alleysha146

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the above advice. If there are no other signs of aggression and he seems otherwise fine (not in pain, etc). I would take a video and show my vet. Good luck and thank you so much for taking this baby in <3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Angela0005

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he has been doing it alot thank you for your help i was worried he was hurting ....is it normal for stray cats to be really calm lay around and not play? Ive never seen a cat so calm where you can just pick it up and itll just lay on u

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
If you wanted to since it's increasing in quantity, maybe send the video in to the vet tomorrow and see what they think just to be on the safe side.

alleysha146

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good question. I'm not too sure, we have a cat colony and I have seen true feral cats - ones that stay low to the ground, can't be touched at all and they're eyes are just so different...almost hollow? compared to a house cat. Then there are "feral" cats like one we brought in from the colony who is very comfortable (now) around humans but has never been owned in his 6 yrs of life.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that would make a long, low, meow/growl whenever someone came to the door. It sounded like she was saying "Whooooooo?????!"
I think that is a noise they make when they're feeling unsure. I wouldn't worry too much. Thank you for saving this kitty!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ve seen this is a few of the young kittens who have wandered across the road and up our drive. One minute they’re like “I’m getting as close to you as I can because the attention is great”and the next minute it’s “I’m trying to be big and threatening because that’s how I’ve survived.”
I bet he’s as confused as you are about the signals to send. He knows in his former world you growl and hiss to try and scare trouble away. Now he’s received this thing called love and for a while it just doesn’t add up to him.
If he hasn’t scratched, bit or done what I used to call the Tasmanian devil on you just keep loving him....just needs time.